Shattered Illusions

[ - ]
Printer ePub eBook
Table of Contents | - Text Size +
Faith lay on the bed in her cell, her eyes staring at the dingy ceiling. She had turned herself in four months ago. Four months she had been in jail, trying desperately to redeem herself. So far, she couldn't really see that it was working. Sure, she felt better about herself. She easily could have turned into what some of these women were. She was thankful that Angel had saved her. Saved her? Strange that a slayer would find herself saved by a vampire, but it was true. She was slowly working her way towards redemption. Towards freedom. She often laid awake at night, wondering why she had let her life get so far out of control. She could blame no one but herself. She had known her choices and made all the wrong ones. But, soon, that would change. Dr. Davis, the shrink she was forced to see weekly, had told her that she was making tremendous progress. There was a rumor she might find herself released after only serving six months.

Faith couldn't wait to get out. She was going to make it all up. Everything she had done was going to be fixed. Well, she frowned, not fixed. There was no way to go back into the past and change things. But, she could work at it and maybe earn forgiveness from the people she had hurt. She honestly didn't think she even deserved it. She had treated them all so terribly. She knew they wanted her dead. All of them except maybe Red. Thinking of Willow, the brunette's lips curled into a soft smile. Surprisingly, the redhead had sent her a letter after she had been sentenced. It had been the girl's honest feelings about everything Faith had done. She had had to read about the girl's hatred and pity at her actions and attitude. But, at the end, Willow had told her that she was proud of her for not killing Angel and for fessing up to her actions by turning herself in. Those few words have given Faith the needed praise....they had made it all seem worthwhile when Faith was at a low point, wondering if it was all worth it. Willow had written that she forgave her. That had the beginning of their letter exchange. Faith always looked forward to Tuesdays because that was the day Willow's letter always arrived. Willow had told her that hers always came on Fridays. It was strange that after everything that had happened, they would become, dare she say it, friends. But Faith knew that was what they were. She also knew that Willow had not told anyone that she was corresponding with Faith. There were still so many issues that the others had to deal with. They wouldn't understand how the redhead could actually like someone she had hated for such a long time. Faith didn't give a fuck about the others. Not really. But, for Willow, she would go back to Sunnydale when she was released and work her ass off trying to get the others' forgiveness.

Distantly, she could hear the footsteps of the guards. Every night they walked the hall, checking the cells. It was almost calming now to hear them now. She stared at the gray ceiling bringing forward Willow's image. She knew that they had never gotten along when she had even been good, much less after she had turned to the Mayor's side. She wasn't really sure why Willow had hated her, but she knew why she had pushed the redhead away. Seeing the girl's pretty face, Faith had felt an attraction far greater than she had ever felt before. She had been scared, if she were honest with herself. Willow was the type of girl that wouldn't put up with her shit, wouldn't just let her roam wild. So, she had pushed....and kept pushing but the attraction was still there. If anything, over the past couple of months of actually getting to know the girl, it was far worse. Her feelings for Willow had grown and Faith could honestly say she was falling in love with the girl she had gotten to know through those letters. Of course, there was no way Willow would ever think of her in that way, so she was content to imagine the girl's face and wish things could have been different. But, she was who she was. Even now, she thrived on the danger...on the hunt. She was going crazy not being able to fight anyone. Not that she wasn't still training. She planned to be in perfect shape when she was released. There were a lot of dangers in Sunnydale and she had to be in a position to protect Willow from them.

Faith heard the guard's keys as he walked. She frowned when she heard them outside her cell. She turned her head, sitting up when she saw the unfamiliar face. She glanced behind the handsome man and saw two others waiting patiently. "Who the fuck are you?"

The man just looked at her as he opened the cell. He walked inside, easily dodging her kick. Faith was scared. She moved backwards, trying to avoid them all. What were they doing? Why did no one else see them? She got in a good hit, listening in satisfaction as one of the others nose was broken. She took a stance and began to fight, having a strange feeling as if this was for her life. She held them off for a few minutes but they were much bigger. She was soon taken hold of by one as the stoic looking guy put a needle in her arm. She continued to struggle until the drug took affect and darkness overtook her.

"Damn, this one is a wildcat" Kints said, holding his bleeding nose.

"Get her belongings" Michael said, lifting the girl easily. He glanced at the other two and saw the marks on their faces. Looking at the pretty girl, he sighed. She was a fighter. That would either be her saving grace or her downfall. He glanced at the others as they stripped the cell of her personal items. "I'll be waiting in the van. You have five minutes."

He walked out of the cell, the newest section recruit, Faith Davis, in his arms as he headed towards the van. In thirty minutes, the guard was going to discover Miss Davis' body hanging from the bars in her cell. She will have committed suicide by using her bed sheets. In less than half an hour, Faith Davis would be dead to the outside world. He saw the others get into the van. Speaking into his microphone, he said, "We have the candidate. Proceed to the airport."

*****

Faith opened her eyes and closed them again. She moaned softly as she struggled to sit up, holding her head. She opened them again, seeing that she was no longer wearing the prison coveralls. Instead, she had on a pair of white cotton pants and a white tank top. She frowned, looking around the room and seeing more white. What was the deal? It looked like someone had a hard on for white, that was for sure. Her dark hair was past her shoulders, brushing against the back of her shirt. It had been taken down from the poneytail she had been wearing it in for months. She stood and began to pace, her bare feet on the cold tile floor.

She heard the door open and whirled around, her body tensing as she saw the handsome man with the cold eyes again. "Who the fuck are you? Did the council send you?"

"Council?" he raised an eyebrow before schooling his face back into impassivity. "Please sit."

"I don't wantta" she said, defiance in her eyes.

Michael would have smiled had he been alone. She reminded him so much of Nikita. The anger and defiance. He had already told Nikita about the newest recruit and the blonde was eager to meet Faith. "Fine. You can stand. Here."

Faith took the envelope from him. She frowned as she opened it, seeing pictures of a tombstone. A tombstone with her name on it. "What the fuck?"

"Miss Davis" he said, expecting her to look at him. "Miss Davis?"

"Call me Faith" she said, having forgotten the last name she had chosen. She had picked it after her first meeting with her shrink, knowing that she had to have one for her records. "What's going on?"

"Faith" he said, "My name is Michael. To the outside world, you are dead. You committed suicide and were buried two days ago."

"You faked my death? Who the hell do you think you are?" Faith asked, realizing by his black attire that this was most definitely not the council. Thinking of the council, she realized that they would knew she was not dead. Another slayer wouldn't be called. They would be able to find her and get her out of here.

"We are Section One, a covert anti terrorist operation. You have been chosen as a new recruit. Your training will begin tomorrow."

"You're good guys?" she asked, her eyes studying him.

He simply looked at her, "We are the better guys, you might say."

"Ah...that whole end justifies the means thing?" she asked, looking away from him. "What's the deal?"

"Deal?" he asked, frowning slightly.

"What do I do and what do I get?" she asked, rolling her eyes. This didn't sound much different than the Council except she'd be battling humans instead of demons. But, bad humans. Terrorists according to the silent one. That was redeeming wasn't it?

"You get to live" Michael said. "You will train and when we feel you are ready, you will become a functioning operative. You will do whatever we tell you without questions."

"Point and kill?" she said, smirking. "Been there done that."

"Then you shall have an advantage" he said, blinking. He was stunned by her frankness and easy handle of the situation. "This will be your home until the training is complete."

Faith groaned as he turned to leave, "All this damn white. I like black. Can I have some black?"

"We'll see" he said, his lips twitching slightly. "Your personal belongings are in the box in the closet. You will also find some things to wear. Rest today. Tomorrow, training begins."

Faith made a face at him behind his back as the door shut. She stood, moving to the closet. She smiled and sighed in relief when she found the bundle of letters from Willow and the photos she had received from the girl. She moved back to the bed, sitting down cross legged as she looked at the picture of the redhead. She sighed, leaning her head against the wall as she tried to deal with everything that Michael had told her.

*****

Faith looked up as the door swung open. She let her eyes roam over the blonde, finding herself staring into pale blue eyes. "Who are you? Where's the Quiet Man?"

"Michael is on a mission" the blonde said with just a faint hint of an accent that Faith couldn't place. "My name is Nikita. I have been assigned to you."

Faith snorted, "You must have been bad. I mean, I'd think training was a bit on the low end of this whole deal."

Nikita smiled at the pretty girl, surprised by how young she was. From Michael's description, Faith had sounded much older. Looking into the brown eyes, Nikita saw maturity. This girl may only be eighteen but she had seen a lot. "I enjoy training. It's one of the more fun things we can do here. I actually asked for you when Michael was called away. You will have numerous trainers though. I just get to start you off."

"Oh yay" Faith said dryly. She didn't like this woman. Nikita. What kind of name was that anyway? She must be from Sunnydale. Faith had never heard as weird names as she had since moving there. Rolling her eyes, she wondered why this woman had wanted to train her. Probably make sure she wasn't the bad seed or something. This Nikita chick was too perky and happy seeming to be some undercover operative. She wished the Silent One was her trainer. He might have a personality problem but at least he didn't remind her of some wholesome do gooder. "All right Pollyanna. Where do we start?"

"Pollyanna?" Nikita repeated, frowning. She had hardly spoken to this girl, much less been Miss Mary Sunshine. "Call me Nikita."

"Whatever" Faith said, wondering how long it would take the damn council to find her and get her out of here. She didn't really mind the idea of forced goodness but she wanted Willow. Already she was going crazy knowing that Willow would hear that she was dead. Would the redhead cry or would she not care? Faith couldn't stand the idea that she was going to be forgotten by the one person who seemed to remember her.

"Don't be scared" Nikita said softly.

Faith looked up frowning. She snorted, "Scared? Of this? Hon, I've been through far worse than this shit. Trust me. Give me a gun, tell me who to shoot and we'll get along fine. Got it?"

"This way" Nikita said sharply. She had wanted to be friendly to this girl, but it was difficult. Michael seemed to think this one might make it. Seeing the hardened look in her dark eyes, Nikita had to agree. She wondered what she had done to draw Section's interest. Her looks alone would have warranted interest, but there was something almost ruthless about her. Cocky arrogance and a smug attitude. She'd hate Operations, Nikita decided. Probably resent any authority figure. She didn't seem the type to enjoy taking orders. That might end up getting her killed. Nikita watched her lay something on the bed and walk towards the door. Curiousity got the best of her. She moved to the bed, glancing at the photo that had been placed on the bed. A very beautiful redhead looked back at her. Green eyes that held knowledge and maturity. She appeared to be Faith's age. Looking at the brunette's back, Nikita smiled softly. Yet another intriguing surprise to Faith's history. Smiling, she moved past the brunette. "Follow me, I'll give you the grand tour."

*****

Willow listened to Buffy rattle on about her latest date with Riley. She couldn't understand why they were still dating if they lived together. It just seemed to be something else sickeningly sweet about them. She sighed, knowing she was just jealous. She had been alone for three months now. It actually hadn't been that bad. Tara had left in May, going back home to visit for the summer. Willow hadn't been very surprised when she had received the call from her friend and sometimes lover telling her that she was remaining in Maryland. So, Willow was single again. And all of her friends were involved. "Hey Buff, that's really romantic. I have some work to do though so I'd better get home."

"It's Friday Willow" Buffy said, laughing. "You have the entire weekend to study."

Willow smiled. She knew it was Friday. Friday was the day she would have Faith's letter waiting for her. She didn't even want to examine why she looked so forward to that one simple thing. She hadn't even liked Faith until they had started corresponding. Now, she felt as if she knew the other slayer better than anyone else. She had felt free enough to share things about herself on paper that she would never have been able to confess in person. Faith seemed to enjoy her letters too, if her words were anything to go by. "It's a research paper. You know how those are."

"OK." Buffy relented. "If you get it finished, give me a call. You can come over and hang."

"How fun" Willow said, standing. She smiled at Buffy as she left the slayer's new apartment. She couldn't explain what was happening to her. Ever since college had started, she had begun to feel more and more useless. Buffy didn't need her. She had Riley and several of his friends to assist in slaying. Xander was wrapped up in his life with Anya. Giles had his new job at the bookstore and his lady friend Diana. She was always the one alone. Hearing from Faith, even once a week, made her feel that she had someone again. That she was needed. Faith seemed to be getting more adjusted to her life in prison, learning how to enjoy the day to day activities without being so negative. She had even begun mentioning her future, something that Willow hadn't heard from her in the beginning.

Willow made it home, logging onto her computer as she changed her clothes. She got her mail, glad in a way that she had moved back home for her second year of college. She hadn't really enjoyed the dorm life, enjoying her privacy too much to share a bathroom with over thirty people. She found Faith's letter, smiling as she traced the familiar handwriting. She felt a sudden rush of pleasure as she sat on her bed, bringing her knees up as she opened it and began to read. Seeing the first line made her smile. Faith always called her Red. It was a pet name of sorts and never failed to make her feel special. Again, she wouldn't examine that. Anytime Spike had called her that before he moved in with Angel in LA, she had never felt that slight rush of heat. It was just a stupid reaction, she was sure. She could almost hear Faith's voice as she read the words.

She finished the letter, reading it again just to absorb it all. Faith had told her she was going to be released in two months. Her shrink was convinced she'd be released for good behaviour. Willow couldn't prevent the happy smile from overtaking her face. Faith was going to be out. She frowned as she remembered that the brunette intended to move to Sunnydale. That wasn't such a good idea. Buffy was great, but she hated Faith. If she hadn't before, she did after learning the brunette had used her body to sleep with Riley. It had been a bump in their relationship at a time it wasn't needed. Add to that the confrontation she had had with Angel over the slayer and Willow knew not to mention her budding friendship to the blonde.

Sighing, she folded the letter and put it back in the envelope. She stood and went to her desk, putting this letter in the bundle with the rest. She went to her computer, seeing that she had mail from Tara. She clicked on it, smiling as she read that the blonde witch was falling in love with a boy in her Economics class. Willow had known that their relationship had been something new to them both. They had cared about each other a lot, but it had never been more than a good friendship. She had hated losing her friend, but knew they wouldn't have lasted much longer as lovers. Their caresses had always been soft and gentle. There had not been the urgency that she associated with love. It had been more of a way that they could both feel wanted at a time they both needed that. She wrote a response, sending it. She then answered her other email before turning the net off. She hadn't lied to Buffy. She did have a paper to write. She got her book out and began working on her homework, a smile on her face still from Faith's news.

*****

Faith entered the small area after Nikita. She saw so many computers, she froze. She frowned, already not liking this part of the building. It reminded her of Willow, which was both good and bad. Thinking of Willow was always good, but it was bad because she had to seriously wonder if she would ever see the redhead again. She had been in Section for three days already. Nikita had introduced her to Walter, a crockety old man that made her laugh. He was in charge of all the weapons, so she knew she'd get to be his best friend. She had seen quite a few other people, but Nikita had not introduced them to her. She assumed they weren't that important. So far, she had to admit this wasn't too bad. She was used to risking her life anyway. Here, at least, she was only facing normal crazy humans instead of insane demons.

But, this....this was not something she liked. Computers were something she had never had any interest in before. She wasn't patient enough to deal with the damn machines. She honestly admired Willow for being so good with them. She looked at the computers, a frown on her face. She noticed a man turn in the chair and face them. He smiled at Nikita, his eyes narrowing as he looked at her. She saw him roll his eyes and frowned. "You got a problem?"

"Great. A real charmer isn't she?" he said to Nikita who was trying to hide a smile.

"Faith, meet Birkoff," Nikita said. "He'll be your tutor here."

"Great" she said, grimacing. "Do I have to learn this shit? I mean, what does it matter if I can run one of these things if I know how to shoot?"

"It won't be that bad" Birkoff said, smiling slightly at seeing the girl look at the computers with an expression he could only describe as fear in her dark eyes. "Have you used one before?"

"I can turn one on" Faith said, still staring at the computer in disgust. "But that's about it. Computers were always Will's thing, not mine."

"Birky is a great teacher" Nikita said, smiling fondly at the boy she almost considered a brother. "He taught me everything I know."

"I doubt we've got enough time for me to learn it all" Faith muttered, fidgeting. "Do we get to like spar or anything? I'm about to go nuts with all this excess energy."

"I hadn't noticed" Nikita said dryly. She had been watching the girl flit around impatiently for days. She was definitely an active one. "Today, you learn the system. Tomorrow, we spar. How does that sound?"

"Tomorrow?" Faith whined. "Fine. Is there somewhere I can work out or something at least?"

"I'll show you to the exercise room AFTER your lessons" Nikita said, smiling slightly.

Faith sat in the chair beside Birky and sighed. She had to do something to take her mind off the day. It was Tuesday. Willow's letter should have been arriving, had she been back at the prison. She frowned, hearing Birkoff talking but not listening. She wondered if Willow knew she was supposed to be dead. Somehow, she doubted it. She wondered if the girl would ever even find out. She realized that Willow could just think that she had stopped writing...not wanting to be friends or anything. She couldn't stand that idea. Why she wasn't that upset about this Section thing, she didn't want Willow hating her. Even having the girl believe she was dead was better than knowing she was no longer considered a friend. She had already checked this place out, seeing that there was no way she could break out. She'd die before she saw the sunshine. She really hated being at someone else's mercy. Having to obey someone else's orders. But, she was used to that. The council wasn't much for free thinking. Maybe if she did well enough, she'd get away long enough to look Willow up....make sure she was doing ok. She nodded, deciding that was a good plan. She looked up, noticing Birky watching her with a peeved expression. She smiled sheepishly, "Sorry. What were you saying?" she gave him her full attention, knowing it might be the only chance she had to ever see Willow again.

*****

Willow walked into her bedroom, a frown on her pretty face. It was Friday and she hadn't received a letter from Faith. In the past three months, they had always arrived in Friday's post. She was worried and wouldn't even begin to try to understand why she was so disappointed. She went to her desk and sat down, tapping her fingers on the surface. Why hadn't Faith written? She looked at the phone, chewing her lip. Sighing, she turned away from it. Maybe it had just been delayed. She would wait until the next day and see if it came then. She turned her computer on, trying to forget that her Friday had been ruined.

****************

It was Monday and the weekly letter from Faith had still not arrived. Willow couldn't believe the girl had just quit writing. Not with the friendship they had developed. She knew something had to be wrong. She looked at the number to the prison Faith was in. She dialed it, hearing a woman answer.

"Yes, hello. I was wondering if you could help me." Willow stuttered slightly.

"Yes dear?"

"A friend of mine is incarcerated there. I usually hear from her every week but I didn't get a letter this week. I'm a bit worried about her."

"What's her name?"

"Faith. Faith Davis."

"Let me check our records." There was a pause and then, "Oh dear."

"What?" Willow asked, not liking the sound of the woman's words.

"I hate to be the one to tell you this, honey, but your friend died a little over a week ago."

"NO!" Willow cried out. She shook her head, not believing it. "How?"

"She killed herself" was the response.

Willow frowned, "No way. She was getting out in two months. There must be some mistake. Maybe you have the wrong girl."

"It's right here in front of me, dear. She died twelve days ago. I'm sorry. Denying it won't change it."

"Thanks" she said softly, hanging up. She felt tears in her eyes as she stood and moved to her bed. She laid down, pulling a pillow into her as she clung to it tightly. She began to cry, trying to come to terms with the idea that Faith was dead. In the last letter, she had seemed so happy and full of life..hopes..dreams. Willow frowned, sitting up and wiping her eyes. There was no way Faith had killed herself. Even at the lowest, she had never given up. Her Faith was not a quitter. Determined, she stood and went downstairs. She was going to go see Giles. If Faith had really died, he'd have to know even if he was no longer a member of the council.

**************

"Hey Giles" Willow greeted, smiling as she followed him inside. She was startled to see Buffy and the others sitting around eating pizza. "Hey guys."

"Hey Will. What brings you here?" Buffy asked, smiling at her friend.

"I had a question for Giles actually" she said softly, as the others greeted her.

"What is it Willow?" the former watcher asked.

"It's about Faith" she said quietly.

Buffy's eyes flashed. "Faith? What about that bitch?"

Willow kept her eyes on the floor, mostly to keep the slayer from seeing the anger flash in them. "I was told that she killed herself in jail about two weeks ago. Have you heard anything to confirm that from the council?"

"Faith committed suicide?" Giles said, frowning. "Willow, you know I don't speak to the council anymore. I haven't heard anything, but it wouldn't surprise me."

Willow looked up at that, "Wouldn't surprise you? Faith was no quitter. She wouldn't hang herself to escape everything."

"She hung herself?" Xander said, shuddering. "Will, prison can change people. Besides, she was never very stable."

"True, she fucked you" Willow shot back, glaring at them. She saw the slight hint of triumph in Buffy's eyes and felt disgusted at them all. "None of you even care..."

"She was never my favorite person, Willow. So, no, actually I don't really give a fuck" Buffy said, grimacing. "Why the hell do you care?"

"You guys really make me sick sometimes. Just because she made some mistakes doesn't mean she deserves to die." Willow said. "I'm outta here."

They watched her leave and then looked at each other. "That was fun."

"Well, another slayer goes down." Buffy said, shrugging as she took another piece of pizza.

"Rather sad that it was by her own hand" Giles commented, going back to his book.

*****

Willow looked at the paper in her hands. She had gone to the archives at the LA Times and found a blurb about Faith's death. There was a small obituary that had very few details. She still couldn't believe it. It had been two weeks since she had spoken to the woman at the prison. Every day that passed just made her more angry that she couldn't find out the truth. She had been avoiding the others since that day in Giles' apartment. Buffy had been ignoring her too, so it made avoidance even more easy. She was just so mad that none of them cared that Faith was supposed to have died. Willow knew it wasn't true. Faith was not dead. She just had to prove it now.

She took a taxi to the prison. Walking into the visitor area, she knew who she wanted to speak to. She asked for Gloria and sat down waiting for the woman she had never met. She looked up in surprise as an older woman sat opposite her, giving her a suspicious look. "Gloria?"

"Who are you?" she asked, not recognizing the pretty redhead.

"I'm Willow."

Gloria smiled, "Faith's Willow?"

Willow blushed slightly, "Uh, yeah."

Gloria frowned suddenly, "You heard about her, didn't you?"

Willow sighed, "Yeah. I didn't hear from her and called. I just don't believe it."

"Honey, she's gone. You'd do best to accept it and move on."

"I can't" Willow said softly. "Every day I wake up knowing she's alive. I can't understand how I know....I just do."

Gloria sighed, "You're not going to give it up are you?" She saw the determined look in Willow's eyes and knew it was hopeless.

"No...I won't" Willow said, knowing it was true. "Not until I see her body myself."

Gloria leaned forward, looking around to make sure no one was watching them. "I heard it."

"What?" Willow asked, keeping her voice quiet to match Gloria's.

"My cell is next to hers, you know. We sometimes talk when we can't sleep. She's told me about you before. She really cares about you" Gloria smiled before she shook herself. "That night, there was a scuffle next door. It woke me up. I pretended to be asleep, but I saw her being carried by. She wasn't dead, Willow. I heard them talking about drugging her. There were four of them. Big guys wearing black. I don't know what they did with her, but next day we were told she had been found dead. Faith wasn't the suicidal type."

"Good grief" Willow said, her mind whirling. It couldn't have been the council. She had hacked her way into their homepage and seen a notice acknowledging the slayer's death. The new one had not been called but had been appointed. They had discussed that fact and come to the conclusion that because Faith turned evil, her connection had died at that time. Willow had just believed it to be more evidence to support the theory that Faith wasn't dead. She couldn't believe no one else could see that.

"They don't look like nice people, Willow. Be careful" Gloria said. She smiled slightly, "When you find Faith, tell her good luck with that plan of hers. She'll know what you're talking about."

"Thank you so much" Willow said, smiling for the first time in weeks. "You've given me hope. Finally I have something to go on. I'll be sure to tell her if I find her."

Gloria stood as she watched the redhead walk away. She sighed softly, whispering, "If anyone can find her, you can honey." She turned and walked back to the door, knocking to have them let her back in.

*****

"Fuckin' A" Faith said, laughing.

"Damn" Nikita said softly, glancing at Michael. "Did you see that?"

"Yes" he said sharply. His eyes narrowed as he watched Faith stretch, hitting the air as the operative she had defeated got to her feet. He noticed Moore holding her ribs, her face twisted in pain.

"She hit her once, Michael." Nikita just shook her head, "Moore must not be as strong as we assumed."

He motioned for a larger woman to be put up against Faith. He had heard the bones cracking from the force of her blow but didn't believe it. He had never seen a female deliver such a blow. Very few men in fact. It must have been a fluke, he decided.

Faith faced the woman, wondering when she would finally be up against a real opponent. Compared to the demons and vampires she had faced, these humans were weak. She had been in section for almost two weeks now. So far, she was finally understanding what the brightly colored numbers and such were on Birky's computer screens. Walter had been teaching her everything she'd ever not wanted to know about guns and weapons. He was finally getting to the devices she was most interested in. She had seen Nikita and Michael using several neat radios and computer devices that she couldn't wait to learn about. Willow would be so proud of her. Thinking of Willow made the smile on her face die. She missed Red so badly. Not having any contact with the girl was making her crazy. "Ready?"

The trainer nodded, "Begin."

Faith ducked an easy punch from the other girl that she recognized as Tina. "Is that the best you people can do?" she asked, sighing as she swung, knocking Tina to the mat. She looked at the girl and yawned, for the first time ever wishing that Buffy were there. At least sparring with her or Fang was some sort of work out. This was like some weak Simmon's work out. She kept expecting Walter to put on sweatin to the oldies or some such garbage. She could get a better work out alone.

"Faith" a soft voice spoke from behind her.

Faith turned, smiling slightly as she looked into Michael's eyes. She could almost swear she had seen a flash of amusement in them. She must be seeing things. She knew that he and Nikita were getting it on. Birky had told her their story one lazy afternoon as they had played video games on his computer. But, he rarely showed any emotion around her except for impatience. "Whatcha want Mikey?"

"I believe the work out is finished today" he said, ignoring her annoying nickname, knowing she was just trying for a reaction. "Walter is waiting for you."

"Sure thing, Pops" she said, winking at Nikita as she ran off to find Walter.

*****

Willow walked to her kitchen, stretching as she reached for the coffee. She had been up thirty five hours at last count and had no intention of going to sleep until she cracked this latest code. She hadn't left her house in days, missing school to try to find some sign of Faith. She hated to admit it, but she was becoming obsessed with this idea that Faith was still alive. All she had met so far were dead ends, but she couldn't give up her hope that she'd finally stumble across her friend. It had been a month since Faith had supposedly died. Four weeks without a letter or postcard even.

She had wasted so much time searching city directories trying to find Faith's name. It had only been three days before that she had woken from a restless sleep remembering Gloria's words. Men had been in the jail to take Faith. The prison had covered her disappearance up with a fake obituary. That meant that who ever had taken Faith was either working for the government or had strong ties to the prison. Normal people couldn't just walk into a jail and take a prisoner expecting a cover up. She had almost hit herself for being so stupid and wasting so much time. She had proceeded to hack into the prison files, researching every name she had found mentioned. Various companies that donated money or individuals that participated in the charities. No one was escaping her notice. So far, she had found nothing. Everything had checked out. But, this current company was baffling her.

Northern Enterprises. A simple name for some investment group that was listed in several prison directories. But, it wasn't that simple. She had assumed it would be an easy hack. Most investment groups tended to concentrate on certain areas of protection, usually leaving themselves wide open on other sides. This one did not. If anything, the fields that they were using were more difficult to breach than the FBI, which she had hacked into within ten hours. She had now been working on breaching their security for twenty eight hours with just a break for some food and to use the bathroom. She knew that they must be hiding something. No one would have so many defenses set up unless they were protecting something of use.

She hadn't heard from Buffy in days, her friend finally giving up trying to talk to her. She was rather glad not having to deal with the constant annoying questions or whinings about being the chosen one and all that shit. Faith had never once bitched about being the chosen one. She'd simply accepted her fate, making a few wrong choices along the way that she had been trying to make better. And now this had happened. Faith had been taken somewhere against her will. Why did life have to suck so badly, Willow wondered.

She sat back down at the table, putting the mug of coffee and chips beside her laptop as she saw that she had hit yet another dead end. Groaning, she hit the table. Damn stupid computer. She sat back, running her hands over her face and through her hair. She looked at the computer screen and sighed, standing. She began to pace, trying to figure out what she could possibly do next to break into Northern Enterprises system. She had a feeling this may be the break she had been searching for. She had seen some files mentioning names of other prisons linked with this company which just made her more curious. She stopped, looking back at the screen. Smiling, she sat down. She may have just figured out to get through their damn system. She began to type rapidly, a glimmer of hope in her green eyes.

********

"Sir?"

Operations pushed the button, "Yes Birkoff?"

"It seems we have a problem" the young man said, typing and bringing up a different screen. He watched, rather surprised, as someone managed to break into a system he had created.

Paul Wolfe scowled, leaving his office and walking down the staircase. "What is it?"

Birkoff looked up, surprised to see Operations behind him. "The Northern Enterprise system has been breached. Someone actually managed to break through several barriers."

Operations nodded, "What do we stand to lose?"

Birkoff shrugged, "Depends on what they are looking for. If they are very good, which it appears they are, they could worm their way into several classified areas of that front."

"Pinpoint the entry." Operations said. He pulled his phone out and dialed the number, "Michael. Get a team ready. We have someone that needs brought in." He hung up, looking back at the young man typing rapidly. "Get me a name and location, pronto."

"Yes sir" Birkoff said, a bit awed by the skill of this hacker. He began his tracing, knowing that within an hour he would know who had breached his system.

*****

"Do we know who we are looking for?" Nikita asked Michael, looking out the window of the van and staring at the two story house. It appeared quiet, the only light coming from an upstairs room at the back of the house.

"No," Michael said simply. He saw Nikita narrow her eyes and almost smiled. "We are awaiting intel from Birkoff. This is the location he provided."

"So, we have no idea what this is about?" Nikita asked. "This just doesn't look like a very threatening neighborhood."

"Looks can be deceiving, Nikita," Michael said. "You should know that."

:Michael?: Birkoff's voice could be heard.

"Yes?"

:This is a recon mission. The sections computers have been hacked into, rather well I might add. We believe the daughter of Ira and Sheila Rosenberg, a Willow Rosenberg, aged nineteen, is responsible. She is to be brought in for questioning.:

"Will she be returning?" Nikita asked.

:No:

"Is she connected with anyone we know?" Nikita asked.

:Our research indicates negative. She is a college freshman with amazing abilities. We are concerned with why she chose the particular front to hack into. She should be no immediate threat.:

"Got it," Michael said. He looked at Nikita, "Are you ready?"

"To ruin a young girl's life?" she said, frowning. "Oh, yeah. I'm ready."

The two operatives easily broke into the Rosenberg home, heading towards the room that had the light. Michael sent the other operatives to search the remainder of the house. He opened the door and saw a girl with red hair seated at her computer. She looked up, her eyes widening when she saw him.

"Who the hell are you?" Willow demanded, getting up from her chair. She saw two men come in behind the first one and felt panic hit her. They had very big guns and were dressed all in black.

"Willow Rosenberg?" one asked with a faint French accent.

"Who are you?"

"Are you Willow Rosenberg?" he asked again, an edge to his tone.

"Yes."

"Come with us. Please do not fight us," he said, his cold blue eyes expressionless.

"Who are you?" she demanded, not moving.

Nikita entered the room, "Parameter secure." She glanced at the girl, freezing when she saw red hair and big green eyes. She knew this girl. Had seen her face somewhere. But where?

"Leave my house!" Willow said, turning to try to escape. She felt someone grab her from behind and kicked out. She turned, lashing out at the man that had grabbed her. She brought him down with some moves that Buffy had taught her, proud of remembering them. Before she get away, a needle was pushed into her arm. She felt woozy suddenly, her eyes closing as she fell asleep.

"Damn wildcat," the operative mumbled, getting up from the floor. He pushed his nose, wondering if it was broken.

"Take her to the van," Michael said, looking at Nikita. She seemed thoughtful, her eyes staring at Willow. "Nikita?"

"Sorry, Michael. It's just, I know her face. I've seen her before."

"That is impossible. You have never been to Sunnydale," he said matter of factly. He moved to the girl's closet, "Now, help me gather some things for her. We know she will not be returning."

Nikita sighed, opening a bag and moving to the girl's desk. She turned the laptop off, putting it and several disks in a carrying case. She then started putting various books and personal items in the bag. She had to wonder if they were packing to cover up Willow's death or to make her feel more at home when she was recruited by Section. Either choice was a death in a way. She frowned, looking at some of the titles on the girl's bookshelves. Strange little thing, she thought shaking her head. She tossed in the CDs that were out and scattered around the player, figuring those must be Willow's favorites. She glanced over and saw that Michael had filled a bag with clothes. Another operative had made short order of the bathroom and dresser, emptying the drawers of anything that a girl that ran away from home might take. Nikita added the rest of the things from the shelf, turning and noticing a large box under the bed. She pulled it out, opening it to see photos, keepsakes and a wooden stake. She noticed a photo that had Willow standing beside a girl with dyed blonde hair and a dark haired guy that was grinning into the camera. They all looked happy. She sighed, hating this part of the job even more. Suddenly, she froze as she looked at the picture, noticing Willow's face. She looked at Michael, knowing what she had seen the redhead before. She kept her mouth shut, not wanting to risk Willow's chance of survival. She suddenly smiled, happier that they were bringing Willow to Section. She smiled at Michael as she brushed him to go down to the van, amazed that Willow had succeeded in finding Faith.

*****

"What's wrong, sugar?"

Faith looked at the old man and smiled, "Nothing, Walter. You got something for me to do?"

"Ah, you're bored," he said, smiling. "Faith and boredom do not mix."

"You got that right, babe," she said, looking at the weapon he was cleaning. "I feel antsy today."

"The last time you got bored you ended up putting two people in the infirmary," Walter remembered fondly. "Thought Ops was either gonna strangle you or kiss ya for being so damn good."

Faith made a face, "God, please do not mention that man's name and the word kiss in the same sentence. I might be ill."

"What's going on over here?" Birkoff asked, having heard them laughing.

"Faith's bored," Walter said, his tone ominous.

"Oh God, not that," Birkoff said, making a cross in front of himself. He laughed when she stuck her tongue out at him.

Faith had been in section for over a month now. Time passed quickly and she honestly didn't know how long exactly it had been. She had found friends in Walter and Birkoff, and she really got along with Nikita. Michael was still Stone Face but she could deal with that. He was a good guy. She was still in training and hadn't been sent on a mission yet. According to Nikita, it would probably be several more months of training before she was released for a mission. That long until she could try to sneak away to at least contact Willow. Every day she missed the girl more and more. She had realized that she was in love with Willow shortly after they had started writing. Now, not even knowing how Red was doing, well, it was driving her crazy. "You'd better be careful, Seymour, or I might accidentally delete that game of Doom you've got going."

"Birkoff, as you well know," he said, shuddering as she used his first name. He hated it with a passion. "And fine. I won't say anything else. Knowing you, you really would delete my files."

"Thanks," Faith said beaming. She sat on the workbench and swung her legs, "So, when's Nik getting back? She's been gone a few days."

"Today," Birkoff said, picking up one of the weapons and aiming it.

"Was it a dangerous mission or down time?" Faith asked, having missed the blonde the last few days.

"Actually, mostly recon. They're bringing in a potential threat slash potential operative," Birkoff replied.

"Oh goodie. Someone newer than me," Faith said. "You think they're a threat?"

"No," Birkoff replied. "I think it was someone that stumbled upon something they didn't even mean to find. Now, well, it's too late."

"That kind of sucks," Faith said.

"Welcome to Section, sugar," Walter said, smiling. "It has it's high points, being alive one of them. But the lows are really low."

"I'm learning that," Faith said. She fidgeted on the bench, energy gathering inside her. It was Tuesday, the day she usually heard from Willow. She sighed, "Isn't there anything to do? I mean, I'm supposed to be training. Why aren't I training?"

"Nik should be back anytime," Birkoff said, smiling. "And you have been training. You've been going through syms most of today."

"That's not training," Faith whined. "That's sitting there as things flash in front of my eyes."

Before Walter could respond, Faith had jumped off the table, a smile on her face. "I see Stony. That means, Nik is back!"

Birkoff and Walter followed Faith into the heart of section.

"Hey Mikey, where's Nik?" Faith asked.

"She's coming," Michael said, smiling slightly.

"Did everything go all right?" Faith asked, turning to face Michael.

"Yes."

"Faith?" a soft voice said from behind her.

Faith turned, her eyes widening as a huge smile crossed her face. Her eyes softened as she ran forward towards Nikita, "Red! Hot damn!"

Michael and the others watched in surprise as Faith lifted the redhead and swung her around, laughing. The two girls hugged as Nikita smiled softly. She looked at Michael and couldn't resist a small gloat since she had known who Willow was from the beginning. Well, almost the beginning.

Faith put Willow down, her hands running along the girl's face, "I can't believe you're here. You're really here."

"I knew you weren't dead! I told them all that you wouldn't kill yourself. Did they care? Noooo!" Willow said bitterly. She smiled, not wanting to begin to understand why she felt as if she was complete now that she was in Faith's arms.

"Damn, I missed you!" Faith said, suddenly smiling a sly smile, "So, Red. What naughty thing did you do to draw Section's interest?"

*****

Willow felt a blush spreading over her face at Faith's question. "I don't know! Ask Stone Face over there," she said, motioning to the man that had been watching over her with such cold eyes.

Faith snorted, "Damn Michael, she knows you already."

"You know this girl?" Michael asked quietly, resisting the urge to groan.

"You betcha!" Faith said, smiling the first true smile they had seen. She looked back at Willow, her expression growing serious, "Really, Willow. What did you do?"

"Wait a darn minute. This little snippet is Willow?" Birkoff asked, rolling his eyes. "Figures."

"Hey, watch it Seymour," Faith said, defending her woman. She frowned, realizing that she was thinking too possessively about Willow. They were just friends, even if she was in love with the girl.

"Oooo, someone's touchy," Birkoff taunted, seeing the slight frown on Faith's face. A thoughtful look entered his eyes as he looked between Faith and the redhead. Slowly, he smiled.

"Where is this place?" Willow asked softly, her green eyes looking around in wonder. She had been so happy at seeing Faith again, emotions that she didn't even want to try to deal with at that moment, that she had not looked around. Now, she saw the area they were standing in. She could see a huge computer center set up and various rooms. She noticed people walking around, all intent on what they were doing. She looked back at Faith and saw the girl glancing at the pretty blonde that had spent the plane ride watching her. Nikita, she had said her name was before trying to divert her attention from the fact that she had been taken from her home.

"Willow, why don't you follow me," Nikita said, smiling at the pretty girl. She had not planned for Faith to run into Willow so soon, so there was a slight complication. Her eyes saw Madeline standing in the doorway, a thoughtful look on the woman's face. She sighed, hoping that this would not determine Willow's future, or lack thereof. "Someone needs to speak to you."

"What?" Faith said, shaking her head. "She isn't going anywhere with anyone but me. "

"Faith, it's ok," Willow said softly. She touched Faith's shoulder, looking into the slayer's eyes and smiling a reassuring smile. "I trust Nikita."

"Don't," Faith said, giving in to the urge to lift her hand and brush a stray lock of hair from Willow's forehead. She let her fingers linger, feeling complete for the first time in months. "Don't trust anyone here, Red."

"Not even you?" Willow asked softly, knowing that she was a goner. Heat was spreading over her from the gentle touch of Faith. God, she was so happy to know that Faith was really alive. She saw the flash of uncertainty enter Faith's eyes and smiled.

"Not even me," Faith said, her tone somewhat defeated.

"Doesn't work," Willow reminded softly. "You have tried to kill me, you've almost killed my friends, but I can't not trust you."

"I don't deserve it," Faith said so softly that Willow barely heard her.

"You deserve so much more," Willow said also softly. She was scared to death really, not having any idea why she was there but she was so happy to be with Faith that she was ignoring the fear. She said in a voice loud enough for the others to hear, "I better go with Nikita now."

"No," Faith said, letting her hand fall. She glanced at Nikita, her eyes flashing in warning and threat.

"It's ok, Faith," Nikita said quietly, having heard a few words from their whispered conversation. Faith had tried killing the redhead? There was so much that she didn't know about these girls. "I'll take care of her."

"Nikita, please bring Miss. Rosenberg to my office. There has been a change of plans," Madeline said from the doorway. She smiled a slight smile before turning and going back down the hallway.

"Oh God...you have to face the wicked witch of Section," Faith said, looking at Willow and frowning.

"After Snyder, I can handle anyone," Willow said, smiling as Faith snorted in rememberance of the troll like principal.

"Snyder? Man, I'd forgotten that little shit," Faith said, shaking her head. "Whatever happened to that bastard?"

"Graduation day," Willow said simply. She saw the guilt flash in Faith's eyes and smiled, "You were in the hospital. Remember? Coma? It wasn't your fault."

"I could have...."

"Oh please," Willow said, sharply. "In every situation someone could say that and feel guilty. Just drop it. Over and done with. I survived as did my friends. Life is too short for guilty and could haves, Faith. Got it?"

Faith smiled, laughing softly at the fire in Willow's eyes. "Yes, ma'am. I got it."

"Good," Willow said, smiling. She looked at Nikita, "I believe I'm wanted in the witches office?"

Nikita smiled slightly, "Yes, *Madeline* would like to see you."

"I'm ready," Willow said, moving towards Nikita.

"I'm coming too," Faith said, not wanting to let the redhead out of her sight. If she did, she might find out it was all just a dream.

Nikita sighed, "Is there anything I could say to make you remain here?"

Faith made a face, "Hmmm....let me think...Nope. Not a word."

Nikita laughed, as Willow rolled her eyes. "She's quite stubborn isn't she?"

Willow nodded, "Yeah, but she grows on you after awhile."

"I've noticed that," Nikita said, watching Faith move to Willow's side. The two girls walked ahead of her as she glanced at Michael. She saw the look in his eyes and sighed, knowing she had some explaining to do. Later.

*****

Nikita walked into Madeline's office, her eyes on the dark haired woman as she glanced at Willow who entered the room behind her. She noticed Faith standing in the doorway, the young girl's moving from Madeline back to Willow as if she was unsure who she should watch. It seemed Willow won as the brunette's eyes rested on the redhead who was standing nervously in front of Madeline's desk. A soft smile crossed Faith's face as she rested her head on the door frame, her eyes simply watching Willow. Nikita hid a smile as she turned to face a much serious problem. Madeline.

"Thank you Nikita. That will be all," Madeline said dismissing the blonde. She glanced at Faith and saw the girl watching the unsuspecting redhead and sighed. "Faith, report to Michael for training."

"No," Faith said, glancing at the woman who seemed to be feared more by any in section. "I'm not leaving you alone with Willow."

Madeline raised an eyebrow, "Yes, you are. Now, report to Michael immediately. Nikita will escort you."

"Faith, come with me," Nikita said, glancing between the two stubborn brunettes. She saw Willow watching them with a confused look on her pretty face. She sighed, leaning closer to Faith, and whispering, "If you want her to survive, get your ass out of here. The bigger fuss you make, the lower her chances for survival become. Got it?"

Faith looked into Nikita's eyes and saw the familiar friendship in their pale blue depths. She nodded reluctantly before facing Madeline. The woman that now seemed to hold not only her future but that of her friend's as well. She frowned, thinking that friend did not even begin to describe her feelings for Willow any longer. She loved the girl. She had almost gotten her and had no intention of losing her now. Section be damned. "How long is all this gonna take?"

Madeline tilted her head to the side, her dark eyes studying Faith for several moments before she answered, "You may retrieve Miss Rosenberg in two hours time. If we conclude sooner than that, I shall send for you."

"Fine," Faith said, looking at Willow. She moved into the room, knowing in her heart that there was a good chance that she would never see the girl again. It took all of her control not to simply kill Madeline and escape from this place, getting Willow out just in case. But, she knew Willow. The girl was smart. Hell, she'd somehow managed to attract Section's interest. The logical part of her mind knew that Willow was going to be offered a position in section. They could be together here, in this place, with no fears of the past and no plans for the future. That knowledge is all that kept her from doing something rash and stupid. She leaned towards Willow, watching the girl's eyes widen slightly as her hand touched the redhead's cheek. "Answer her questions but do not trust her," Faith said softly in Willow's ear before letting her lips touch the warm flesh there. She stood, her hand gently caressing the length of Willow's face before she let her hand fall. She looked at Madeline, her eyes narrowing as she saw something akin to amusement in the woman's eyes. "If you hurt her, I kill you."

"Is that a threat?" Madeline asked, her tone light with an underlying warning in it.

"Nope," Faith said, smiling, "Just a promise."

Madeline watched Faith leave the room before glancing at a surprised Willow Rosenberg. She nodded towards the space where Faith had been, "Her inclination to protect those she loves under any circumstance is refreshing almost. Do you not agree?"

"Loves?" Willow said softly, her skin still burning from the brief contact as she looked at the woman that Faith seemed so wary of.

"Ah, I see now," Madeline nodded, punching in some numbers on the key pad beside her desk. She successfully turned off the recording system before looking at Willow again, "Willow, I believe we need to talk."

*****

"Ok," Willow said, trying to get her mind under control. She looked into Madeline's eyes and nodded, "Talk."

"It seems we have a slight problem," Madeline remarked casually.

"A problem?"

"What were you looking for?"

Willow knew automatically what Madeline was talking about. "Faith."

"Hence, the problem," Madeline said. She saw Willow's confusion and sighed, "My dear girl, we took you believing that you were working for one of our enemies, searching for information to sell or trade. As it is, you were merely searching for a 'friend'."

"Information to sell?" Willow repeated, making a face. "I would never do something like that."

"Strangely enough, I believe you," Madeline remarked, seeing the intelligence and strength in the girl's green eyes. She was in many ways reminded of herself as she looked at Willow Rosenberg. The way she had been at one time, before section had killed the fire in her own soul. She loved what she did, enjoying the power far more than any would guess. Paul had seen her intelligence back then and had known that she would be a benefit to section. Some of her decisions had been bad, she could admit that. But, she regretted none of them. They had been right at the time, even if proven later to be wrong. The one thing she did regret was losing that fire. She had been such an emotional person when she arrived at Section. But, emotions got you killed, so she had become cold and hard. She had survived, but she knew in her heart that she had really died the day she had turned into what she was now. Slowly, she was trying to regain some of what she had lost in her youth. Just enough to make her feel more alive but not interfere in her position. It would not do to consider emotions in her job. It was better to be indifferent. Yet, looking at the green eyes now in front of her, she found herself forgetting the resolution not to bring emotions to work. This girl, this Willow, had hacked into a section computer, rather well, just to find information about her friend. Not only had the redhead not believed that Faith had killed herself, she had done something to prove the fact. The loyalty and intelligence the girl possessed would make an excellent addition to section. The problem being the obvious feelings that existed between the two recruits. Madeline nodded, looking at her computer screen as she thought of the choices she could make.

Willow shifted in the seat, having spent at least ten minutes in silence with the older woman. Madeline's face had never lost its slight smirk but her eyes had spoken volumes before becoming carefully guarded. Willow knew that her future lay in this woman's hands. She found herself thinking about Faith as she waited for Madeline to speak. It had felt so good to see her again, to know that she was truly alive. Willow decided not to think of her body's reaction to feeling the other girl, to having her so close to yet not close enough. She loved Faith, could accept that fact even while doubting that anything could ever happen between them.

"Willow?" Madeline spoke her name, watching the girl's eyes clear as she looked up. "Four days ago you were found dead. Your house was burned, faulty wiring I believe. Your funeral was yesterday, the remains of your body unrecognizable but identified by dental records."

"What?" Willow whispered, shaking her head. Oh God, Buffy and her friends believed she was dead. A body had been found. Her house was gone. She felt a tear slide down her cheek.

"Birkhoff has told me that your work was very good for an amateur. He believes there is great potential for you here in Section," Madeline continued, keeping her voice the same tone as the girl realized that she had very few options. "I will admit that Section tends to frown on relationships between operatives. In the case of you and Faith, though, I believe that you will be beneficial to her survival. She has the markings of becoming a top operative, but she has this habit of being reckless and dangerous. With you in her life, I believe she will become more cautious, less likely to risk death for the thrill of danger."

"You want me to stay here...to um...well, to become involved with Faith," Willow said, knowing her face must be flaming.

"It is rather obvious that the two of you are in love, Willow. You may both not see it yet, but it is there. I can not make you an offer without considering those emotions and predicting what they may cause to happen. In each situation that I can predict, I believe they will be an asset instead of a hinderance. You will be trained in communications and intelligence and rarely will be sent out on a mission. Faith will soon be ready to accompany Nikita and Michael on her first of many missions, in my opinion. Together, I believe you could be a valuable part of Section."

"And if I don't want to, I die," Willow said, her tone matter of fact.

"If you refuse, you die," Madeline confirmed, watching the girls thoughts flicker across her face.

"Well, I now know what they mean by an offer you can't refuse," Willow said, her tone light despite the turmoil she was going through. "Fine, I'll accept the offer. But, Faith and I? We're just friends. We used to be enemies in fact until recently. Now, we're friends."

Madeline smiled slightly, "You can not deny the inevitable, Willow. Your acceptance has been noted. Your training shall begin on Monday. Until then, have Faith show you around Section. I will admit that your training will be slightly different than other recruits. Your past with Faith has rather prevented a more anonymous training time. But, you will still be under trial until we are confident that you belong in section. Good luck."

"Thanks," Willow said softly, listening as Madeline picked up a phone and told whoever answered to send Faith to collect Willow. It was official, she guessed. She was the newest recruit in Section.

*****

"Well?"

Madeline straightened her skirt as she sat down. Keeping her face impassive, she looked up into the cold eyes of her former lover. "I spoke to Willow."

"I am aware of that," Paul Wolfe said, his voice calm though there was a slight irritation in his words.

"I'm sure that you were," Madeline said, deliberately avoiding the topic he wished to discuss. She enjoyed making him angry. It was one of the few times that she would see the flashes of what he had once been.

"I am also aware that you spoke to her in silence," he added, still angry that she had turned off the recording in her office during the hour of their conversation.

"Yes, I did," Madeline replied simply.

"Well?" he asked again, a muscle in his cheek twitching as he faced her across the desk.

"She will do nicely here," Madeline said.

"So, she has decided to become an operative?" Paul asked, wishing at times he could simply send Madeline to another section but knowing that things would not the same without her around.

"Yes."

"Why was she hacking into the system?"

"Faith," Madeline replied.

"Faith?" Paul frowned, "I don't get it."

Madeline smiled slightly, "It would appear that Faith and Willow have a..." she paused, deciding on the best term, "history between them."

"History?" Paul saw the slight smirk on Madeline's face and groaned, "Those two girls? Together? Good grief."

"The world has changed, Paul," she reminded softly.

"Do you feel that is wise? To encourage a relationship among operatives?" he asked, trying to get the mental image of the two pretty girls being together, in that way, out of his mind. Such a waste, it seemed to him.

"In this case? Yes," she replied. "I believe from what I have seen that they shall have a steadying influence upon each other, thus benefiting Section in many ways. It has already been shown the lengths that Willow will go to to keep Faith in her life. And this afternoon, I honestly believe Faith would have killed me if I even spoke the wrong way to Willow."

"And that is good?" Paul asked, thinking of Nikita and Michael and their similar relationship.

"Yes," Madeline said, nodding. "Michael and Nikita have proven that they can still be functioning operatives despite their relationship. True, they let it overwhelm them at times, but since my talk with them they have improved."

"Yes, but I'm still not fond of having my two top operatives living together," Paul muttered.

"They are more careful and less reckless. They also have a need to complete the mission regardless of circumstances to continue being allowed to maintain their relationship. We do not need to constantly worry that they are trying to escape to be together. Overall, I have seen more positives than negatives over the past few months."

"I'll agree," he admitted reluctantly, knowing that condoning the relationship between Nikita and Michael had been Madeline's idea. And it seemed to be working rather well, so far. "And you believe the same situation will produce similar results in Faith and Willow?"

"I do," she said. "There is a very strong bond between those two. From what I could interpret, there is a past between them. I believe that allowing them freedom to explore their feelings will help put that past to rest and allow them to concentrate on their future here at Section."

"It seems such a shame, you know. They are truly beautiful young women," he remarked casually.

"Yes, they are. And they have found a love that many search for their entire lives. How is that a shame?" Madeline asked, knowing what Paul had meant.

"You have thought of every angle, I suppose?" he asked, deciding to just drop the subject. Personally, he couldn't care less who was fucking whom as long as it did not interfere with his Section.

"Of course," she said, smiling a small smile. "This is the best scenario for results. Allowing them to explore their relationship with our approval. It should make them more loyal to section."

"And if it doesn't work?" he asked, playing the devil's advocate.

"If it does not work," she said, stressing the word if, "we cancel one of them."

"I'll leave you to it then," he said, standing and leaving her office. She looked at her computer screen, hoping that it would not come to canceling either of the girls. She honestly thought that they would prove valuable to section. She began to work on profiles for the mission in the Baltic, her conversation with Paul already forgotten.

*****

Willow looked at Faith and smiled as the girl paced, "Would you stop?"

"Sorry," Faith said, smiling slightly as she moved to sit down. "I'm just still surprised I guess."

"What? That I'm here or that I wasn't cancelled?" Willow asked.

"Either, both. I dunno," Faith said, running a hand through her hair. She looked at Willow, thinking of all the things she could tell the girl. But, she was scared to death that she might lose the only friend she had ever had. "I can't believe you kept looking for me."

Willow smiled sheepishly, "What can I say? I didn't feel that you were dead. In here," she pointed at her heart, wondering if Faith would understand what she was saying.

"I feel bad though. I mean, this is all my fault. That you're here now. What if you hate it here and then start to hate me?" Faith asked, looking at the girl with serious eyes.

Willow sighed, thinking over what Faith had said. She had been in section for almost three days. Three days spent with Faith and learning everything about Section from Nikita and Walter and Birkoff, with a few words from Michael. She could still remember almost falling over when he had spoken a complete sentence. She liked them all, finding things about them that reminded her of her old friends while still being different enough that they were their own people. She still felt guilty thinking about her Sunnydale friends. Knowing that they must believe she was dead, hoping that they could forgive her for making the choice she had. Either way, she would have been dead to them. This way, she just got to stay alive. From what she had been learning about the system here, it should be easy enough to keep up with them anyway. She could look out for them, even if they didn't realize it.

Spending the last couple of days with Faith had forced her to accept that she was falling in love with the pretty slayer. She knew there had always been an attraction, no matter how badly she had tried to ignore it or forget it, it had existed. Over those months of writing, she had started to fall for the person that Faith was, had become. The caring, loyal, honest girl that knew she had made mistakes and was doing to her best to make ammends. But, Willow knew this was a terrible time to confess her feelings to Faith. So much was happening in both their lives, so many life altering decisions made. She didn't want Faith to feel that she was just being needy and that it wasn't real.

"I like it here," Willow finally said. "It's a bit different but in some ways it is almost like the old gang was. Slay the bad guys and hope to live to see another day. I think with time, I could call this place home...my new friends family. And, Faith, I could never hate you."

"Really?" she asked softly, wanting to make sure Willow was ok with section and everything in it.

"I love you, stupid!" Willow said, shaking her head. "How could I ever hate you?"

Faith slowly started to smile, "You love me? Like love or love love?"

Willow sighed, "Love as in it takes all my control not to push you against those pillows and taste you right this minute! Love as in I want to sleep in your bed and wake up in your arms. Love as in I want to simply be with you always."

"Really?" Faith grinned, moving forward towards Willow.

"Nah, I thought I'd just stand here and lie for awhile," Willow said rolling her eyes. This was so not the reaction she had expected to her words. Anger maybe. Similar confessions of love hoped for. Not this disbelief and questioning.

Faith caught Willow's face, smiling, "Love you too Red," she said, before lowering her mouth and catching Willow's lips with a tender kiss that soon deepened. They two girls kissed until a loud knock on the door caused them to pull apart. They looked at each other, blushing a little and then giggled as they tried to realize what had just happened.

"Uh, who is it?" Willow called out after regaining the ability to speak.

"It's Nikita," an amused voice said from the other side of the door. "Training starts in five minutes, Will. If you and Faith can find time to join us in the real world, we'd appreciate it."

"Shut up, Blondie," Faith called out, laughing.

"Blondie?" Nikita said, her tone amused. "Just for that, I may force you to work with Jerry today."

"Not that, Niki. I wuv you!" Faith said, moving to open the door. Her arm firmly around a smiling Willow's shoulders as the door opened and they faced the blonde. "That's not fair! Will gets to play with you and I get stuck with Jerry?"

"I may see if Michael is busy," Nikita said, noticing the arm around the redhead's shoulders and smiling. It seemed that Walter had won that particular bet. He had said that those two would be together before training began. Damn, she owed him a steak dinner at the Mill.

"Even Stoney is better than Jerry," Faith said.

"Michael isn't that bad," Willow said, looking at her what? Girlfriend? Best friend? Soon to be lover? Faith, she decided. Just looking at her Faith.

"That's cause he talks to you," Faith grumbled with a wink at her redhead.

"Come on girls. Enough stalling. Training is ready to begin," Nikita said as she started down the hall in front of them. Faith's arm slid from Willow's shoulders, the slayer deciding it wouldn't be wise to flaunt their budding relationship. Willow squeezed her hand and smiled at her before kissing her softly. The girls held hands as they followed Nikita, ready to begin the newest chapter of their lives, together.