Changing Seasons

[ - ]
Printer Chapter or Story ePub eBook Chapter or Story
Table of Contents | - Text Size +
Willow Rosenberg looked around the small room and sighed. She sat down, running a hand through her shoulder length red hair. She heard noises coming from downstairs and knew that her aunt Tanya was puttering around. She had been out of the hospital for a month. Buffy had been gone as long. She stood and went to the window.

Her parents had decided to take an interest in her life by carting her off to her mother's sister. Tanya was only in her thirties and had a nice beach house in Eventide Oregon. She was unmarried and was often away for work. Willow didn't understand how being here was different than being at home. Well, minus her friends and the demons that was.

She walked out onto the balcony that bordered her room. She inhaled the scent of the salty ocean air and smiled slightly. Maybe it wasn't as bad as she wanted to believe. She could use some time away. At home, all she could do was worry about Buffy. They still hadn't heard anything from the slayer. They knew from her mother that Spike had helped her in the end. Angelus was nowhere around so Willow assumed he had either been killed or had taken Buffy. She believed that the first one was true.

A slight breeze blew in from the ocean. She felt it ruffle her hair and she struggled to put it back in place. She leaned over the balcony, her eyes on the many people milling around the beach. This was a rather popular seaside town being the summer home to several wealthy folks from the major cities around the area. Tanya's house was nestled on a small cliff alongside several others. It was truly beautiful. Willow felt a pain in her legs and sat down, a grimace on her face. She looked back at the water and wondered where Buffy was at that moment.

Graham Miller stood on the sands, his complete attention focused on the redhead. He hadn't seen her before. She wasn't beautiful, though she was pretty. There was just something about her that had caught his attention. He saw a wistful look cross her face as she gazed at the water. He wanted to know who she was. He knew the woman that owned the house, Tanya Stroman. He didn't know she had a sister.

"My man. What has caught your attention?" David asked as he stood beside Graham. He glanced up and smiled. "Ah...I see. Fresh meat."

"Go away" Graham said, his attention still on the girl.

"You've got the ball" David said laughing as he took the volleyball from his friend. It looked like this summer might be interesting after all.

***

Graham watched her as she walked to the ocean. He glanced inside and saw his mom and dad leaving. Good. They were going back to Seatle. His dad had business that couldn't wait. He was being left alone with David, his best friend. He looked at the redhead and began to walk to her.

Willow breathed deeply. She had been here two days. It was nice, but strangely she was getting antsy. She had gotten so use to doing research until all hours and then fighting demons that she could hardly sleep more than a few hours. Today, she was awake at 4am. She had gone outside as soon as the sun had begun to appear. She loved this time of morning. The beach was deserted and she had it to herself. She sat down in the sand, laying back on her hands.

No word from Buffy yet. She had spoken to Xander the night before. He and Cordelia along with Giles were taking care of the demons in town. She smiled. She almost missed slaying the vampires. She knew then that she was indeed an odd girl. The Hellmouth had warped her.

She heard something behind her and looked up. She froze as she looked into the most intense eyes she'd ever seen. She let her gaze wander and she gulped. He was gorgeous. Tan and tall and handsome. He smiled slightly at her appraisal.

"I'm Graham. Miller. I live next door, during the summer" he said, his voice soft but deep.

"Willow. I don't live here. Well, not usually. I was sent here to stay with my aunt Tanya. I got hurt and my parents didn't want to leave me alone and so here I am...for the summer." she felt stupid. Why did she babble when she was around attractive guys?

Graham smiled as he sat down beside her. He glanced at the rising sun. "Beautiful isn't it?"

"Yes. I love the sun. Keeps most of the nasties away" she said quietly.

"You were hurt?" he said, keeping his voice even. He didn't want to appear too interested.

"Accident. At school. Something fell on me," she let it linger hoping he wouldn't push.

Graham nodded, "Better now?"

"Getting there." She smiled softly at him.

"You know anyone else yet?" he asked, knowing that she hadn't been out since that first night. He had kept an eye on the house everytime he's been on the beach. This was the first chance he'd had in two days to introduce himself.

"Nope. You're the first" she said, looking back at the sun.

He smiled. "Well, I'll introduce you around today. You'll like it here. You can meet David."

"David?"

"My best friend. Man, we've been friends since we were in diapers. Even going to school together next year. Not sure where yet, but we're roomies."

She laughed at his enthusiasm. "I'm sure he's very nice then."

"He'll love you. I'll have to let him know that I saw you first" he said, winking at her. He watched in amusement as she blushed.

"Quit teasing Graham."

"Come on, Willow. We can go wake the lazy bones up. Maybe get some breakfast. There is this great place in town that serves the best pancakes I've ever eaten."

She smiled as she followed behind him. His enthusiasm was catching. He reminded her of Xander in some ways. A good looking, intelligent Xander. This summer was looking up.

***

Willow followed Graham into the beach house. She looked around, surprised to see things very straightened and tidy. His parents must be here.

"Would you like something to drink? Eat? You can sit or watch T.V. or I'm sure we have books somewhere or well, I sound like a jack ass don't I?" Graham said, grinning good naturedly.

Willow laughed softly, "Don't worry. I babble all the time. Usually when I'm very nervous......" she saw the look in his eyes and froze. He was nervous because she was there. Her mind ran through the implications.

"Me too" Graham said quietly. Shaking himself, he smiled, "Let me get David up. That boy sleeps like the dead."

Willow watched him run upstairs, taking two steps at a time. He was very athletic, she noted. She rememered his legs and smiled slightly. A complete hunk. If Cordelia could see her now..... She sat down at the bar in the kitchen and leafed through a magazine.

About thirty minutes later, she heard footsteps and froze. Wow. Had to be David. Tall, blonde and gorgeous. She couldn't decide which one to gawk at. Lordy lordy....she smiled shyly wondering what the hell she was doing there with two guys that were not only older, but way out of her league.

David smiled as he saw the redhead. He had already been warned off her by Graham. He had never seen his friend quite so taken with a girl before, especially a beautiful stranger. "You must be Willow. I'm David, the good looking one."

She laughed, the sound sweet and innocent, "David. The one that lacks an ego? What does that make Graham?"

"Him? He's the puny smart one."

She laughed at the expression on Graham's face as he stared daggers at his friend. "Well, good. I like my men with brains" Willow said, easily slipping into teasing with David.

David laughed as Graham smiled goofily, "I like her. She has spirit." He looked at Willow, "If you change your mind and decide to go for body over brains, let me know. Ok?"

"I'll be sure to call you first thing" She said smiling.

"So, my children. It's pancakes at the Eventide Diner?" David asked, licking his lips hungrily.

"I'll drive" Graham said, taking Willow's arm. Her comments had pleased him. David was a big ham and loved to be the center of attention. Usually, Graham was more than happy so sit back and let him take it. Not this time. There was something special about Willow.

Willow went with them, laughing as David began to tell her stories about the diner. This was nice. It felt normal. She wondered if this was what it was like in places other than Sunnydale. She grinned as David sat in the front of the Jeep and patting his lap.

"Sit down, my red haired goddess of all that is lusty." David said leering at her, humor in his eyes.

"David, get in back" Graham said, not wanting Willow to get mad and leave.

Willow just laughed as she got into the Jeep and sat on his lap. She knew David was teasing Graham. She also knew that she liked Graham's reaction. Flirting from David she could handle if it meant that Graham might be interested in her. Graham frowned but decided to just drive very fast.

***

Willow sighed in contentment as the sun shone down on her. She felt the sand on her hand and brushed it away without opening her eyes. She was laying out trying to get rid of her pale skin. She had now been in Eventide almost two weeks. She would be leaving in three more.

Suddenly, she felt drops of water sprinkle down on her face. She opened one eye and saw legs. Very familiar legs. She followed the legs up and saw Graham and David standing over her, each holding buckets of ocean water. Shrieking, she sat up before they could dump them on her.

"What the hell are you two doing?" She yelled at them, smiling.

"You said you wouldn't swim us, so we decided to bring the ocean to you" David said smirking.

"You're up now. Want to swim?' Graham asked, using his eyes to plead.

"What am I going to do with you two?" Willow asked, laughing.

Since that day Graham had met her on the beach, she spent every waking minute with them both. She had grown to love David as a good friend. Her feelings for Graham ran deeper than that. They had so much in common once you got past the physical parts of him. She knew she was falling for him. Hard.

"I could think of some suggestions" David said, wiggling his eyebrows.

Graham groaned, "Why don't you go cool off?" he told his friend.

Willow sat back down on her blanket. She had no intention of swimming. It was not one of her favorite activities. Graham sat down beside her, his leg touching hers as he adjusted to a comfortable position.

"So, how do you like Eventide?" he asked.

He studied her as she spoke. She was so beautiful. And completely unaware of it. He saw a strand of red hair fall across her forehead. Giving in to impulse, he leaned over and brushed it away. His eyes met hers and he leaned in closer. Their lips met tentatively. He pulled her closer as he deepened the kiss. He had never felt so alive after a simple kiss. He slipped his tongue into her mouth, tasting her fully. This had been coming for over a week.

Suddenly, they jerked apart as water fell down on them. They looked up and saw David laughing. "I thought you two might need to cool off."

Willow looked at Graham, her eyes wide with desire and embarassment. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be. After I kill David, I wouldn't mind picking up where we left off." He smiled softly at her.

"Really?" she asked, hope in her voice.

"Dinner. Tonight. Just me and you. We can leave the clown home alone."

"A date? You want me to go on a date with you?"

"Yeah...."

"Ok. As long as David stays at home" she smiled.

"Promise. I have to go kill him now. You understand?"

"Break an arm for me, ok?" she said softly.

He stood then leaned down and kissed her again. Pulling away, he burning her image in his mind. He wanted to always remember what she had looked like the day that they had first kissed. "Tonight." he promised before running off after David.

"Tonight" Willow said softly, running a finger over her lips.

***

Graham smiled as he escorted Willow into his kitchen. "You're seat, Mademoiselle."

Willow giggled at his fake accent. "I thought you were taking me out."

His smile fell, "Did you want to go out? I thought we could talk better here...."

"I was joking. This is very sweet, Graham." She smiled softly. "I didn't know guys like you cooked."

"Guys like me? Should I be insulted?" he smiled as he placed the plate in front of her.

"No. Of course not. Oh, spaghetti. One of my favorites."

"Good. It's one of the few things I can make." He laughed as he sat down.

They ate in comfortable silence, his eyes watching her most of the time. She looked beautiful. He wondered what her face would look like in candlelight. He thought that too much for the first date, so he'd kept the lights on.

"Do I have something on my face?" Willow finally asked. He'd been staring for a few minutes.

"God, you're gorgeous...." he blushed slightly as he realized he had spoken out loud. "I uh meant..." he shook his head, giving up. "You are."

"Thanks" she smiled, her own face red. "So, you and David are rooming together next year? What school?"

He put his fork down. "Not really sure. See, we've been going to a junior college back home, in Seattle. We're going to be juniors next term and decided we needed to get out of our parent's houses and enjoy a bit of college life. We're thinking East coast or maybe California."

"I can see the similarities" Willow said smiling.

"What about you? Where are you going?"

"I'm in high school. I graduate next year" she said, blanching slightly.

He had noticed that she never spoke of home. He had no idea where she was from. She always changed the subject. He assumed there must be something she was trying to forget. Being tactful, he said, "Senior year is cool. Man, you should hear what all Dave and I did. He talked me into the goofiest stunts."

The next hour was spent laughing over the past misadventures of the two in high school. Willow had to like him. She knew he could easily have pestered her with questions about her life. He had avoided anything about her past knowing she didn't like to talk about it. They moved into the family room, sitting on the couch as he put on a video. She couldn't tell what the title was or what the plot had consisted of. She was too involved in talking to him.

Graham didn't want the night to end. He couldn't believe that he had found someone that was so perfect for him. He didn't want to let her go, though he knew he would have to. It wasn't fair. If he had believed in soul mates, he would swear that she was his. He walked her home at dawn. David was staying over with a friend from town, and Graham had kept her as long as he could. He leaned over, kissing her gently, not wanting to stop.

Willow reluctantly pulled away, "Thank you. I had fun. I'll see you tomorrow."

She turned to go in. He caught her hand, "Willow...can we do this again?"

"I'd love to."

He beamed, "Tomorrow night?"

"Yes." she went inside. He smiled as he walked back to his house. He might only have her for another three weeks, but he planned to make those last.

***

"So....meeting Willow again?" David asked, a grin on his handsome face.

Graham smiled softly, "Yep."

"Come on, G. I need details. You are talking to the single guy here." David laughed as he finished making his sandwich.

"Single by choice. Who is it that has half the beach after him?" Graham said, stealing some of his friend's chips.

"What can I say. You got the perfect one first. Of course, I am waiting for her to realize that I'm the best man and let me win her."

"Not gonna happen."

David sighed, "Knew you'd say that. Guess it's me and old Rusty then. Isn't it boy?" David made kissy faces at the dog who just looked at him before rolling over. "Lazy damn mutt...."

"That's bad, man. Losing your touch. Can't ever get the dog to kiss you" Graham laughed.

David looked seriously at his friend, "Is she the one?"

"What?"

David rolled his eyes, "The one. You know. That soulmate stuff. You two make me sick. So perfect together it's annoying to us unhappy lonely people."

"She could be" Graham said softly. "Damn it. What am I going to do?"

"You have a week....."David smiled softly. "Do you know where's she from yet? We could go to college around her."

Graham shook his head, frowning. "No. She refuses to discuss her life, her friends, school. I know everything else about her."

"What about that Xander guy? She talks about him a lot."

"But never past the age of 14. It's like from the on she just wants to forget it all."

"You know she's from California. You also know that she won't leave without giving you a number or address. We'll find her. If not, we can always just go to that one school down there, Sunnyhaven or whatever it is. We can keep looking for her."

"God, that sounds pathetic. Like I won't let her go and we still have a week."

"My advice?" David said.

"What?" Graham asked.

"Live for today and enjoy every moment for tomorrow you don't want regrets."

"Carpe diem and all that?" Graham smiled softly.

"Well, I wasn't going to be all latinish but of course smart boy has to bring out the big guns....."

"Hey, thanks."

"For what?" David asked, chewing his food.

"Being such a great friend. I have to go. I'll be back later. We can shoot some hoops."

"Cool. But I get Willow on my team this time."

"We'll see" Graham said, laughing as he went to pick her up.

***

Willow leaned against Graham. The firelight cast shadows on the sand. A slight breeze blew in from the ocean, smelling of salt water and rain. She only had one more day. She hated to leave. She knew that she would have to go back and face the demons and nasties. It had been wonderful being normal, even for a few weeks.

She felt Graham's hand rub her shoulder. Graham. Another reason she hated to see the night end. One last day with him. The summer had been perfect. He had been perfect. She loved him. She hadn't wanted to. Never meant for it to happen. But, it had. He had gradually wormed his way into her heart, taking up a huge amount of space. She sighed as she moved into closer to him. She didn't want him to let her go.

"I miss you already and you haven't even left yet" Graham said quietly.

"Don't think about it....I don't." Willow replied.

He put his hand under her chin, bring her wet eyes up where he could see. He smiled softly, brushing a tear away. "Not thinking about it? Why are you crying then?"

"I don't want tomorrow to get here and end." She said truthfully.

"Me either. If I could, I'd stop time right here and now. We could spend eternity sitting here at the beach, a light breeze rolling in, together. But, I can't."

"I know." She whispered, her eyes wished he could.

"Can I kiss you?" he asked.

She nodded shyly. She knew what he was asking. Each time they kissed, it had gotten harder to stop. Now, she knew she wouldn't. She only had one more day with him. She needed him. A memory for the nights that awaited her when she got back home.

"Are you sure?" he asked, looking deep into her eyes. Seeing her answer, he brought her mouth gently to his. He pushed her back against the blanket, their bodies molding perfectly. As the kiss deepened and things escalated, the stars above twinkled brightly, casting light down on the soon to be lovers.

***

Willow woke up to soft lips kissing her face. Smiling, she looked at Graham. He brushed her hair out of her face as he asked softly, "You ok?"

"It was beautiful."

"I'm glad. I moved you inside....when it started to rain...." he smiled again.

"It rained? Wow. I was dead to the world." Willow looked around and saw that they were in his bed. She was wearing an old t-shirt of his, her clothes piled neatly in a chair. Her clothes! Golly, she was no longer a virgin. She could see writing the report for school about what she did on her summer vacation. Not a PG rated account.

"You were tired" he said, touching her face. Last night had been perfect. He had had sex before, but never with anyone he truly loved. It had been amazing...the emotion they had shared. He would never forget it. He also would never think of campfires in the same way again.

"Someone wore me out" she teased softly, amazed that she wasn't blushing.

"Make me have the blame" he mumbled, kissing her suddenly.

"That was nice" she said after he pulled away. "Is it morning?"

"Almost after noon. David has already been by once wanting to know when we plan on getting out of bed."

"Not true. I wanted to know when I could join you two." David said laughing from the doorway.

"Go away, Palmer." Graham said, glaring playfully at his friend.

"Yeah, Palmer. It's too early for you today" Willow said, smiling. It was strange. She would have been bright red if one of her friends had come in to the room, but with David, she was completely unembarassed.

David's face fell. "It's your last day here Willow. You two aren't going to spend it in bed are you? I thought we'd make some memories......"

Graham frowned, not wanting to remember what would happen in less than ten hours. Willow would be leaving at eight o'clock. He looked at her, his eyes filled with love. He held her tighter, knowing he couldn't let her go.

Willow smiled sadly. She was going to leave soon. She'd never see either of them again. They'd go off to college on the East coast and she'd be in Sunnydale trying to stay alive. Graham would forget her eventually. Not wanting to think about that, she smiled at David, "Could I spend the day in any other way than with my two favorite men?"

He smiled, 'Good. Get your lazy ass up and get dressed than. We've got memories to make." He headed out of the room, whistling.

"Willow...." Graham started, needing to tell her how he felt.

"Please don't" she whispered, looking at him. "It will make goodbye that much harder."

"But...."

She put her fingers against his lips. "Please. For me."

He nodded, "Fine. For now. Better get going or David will storm back up here."

She smiled as she stood and gathered her clothes. She loved him so much.

***

Willow laughed, "No way. I so can't see that."

"True. I swear. Ask anyone" David said, laughing.

Graham nodded, "It's true. That's how we became friends."

"He hit the bully and saved you? Ah, how sweet" Willow giggled.

"I was five" Graham grumbled.

"See, even then I was the hero" David said, laughing. "You should have stuck with me kid."

"I think I did fine" Willow said, kissing Graham softly. She caught the envious look in David's eyes. "Have you ever been in love?"

"Who? Me? Uh uh. Not my thing. I like to be free and wild. Sow my oats as they say." He wiggled his eyebrows playfully, "Want to sow?"

"Don't you give up?" Graham asked, shaking his head.

David thought about it a minute, "Nope. She will be mine....even if only in my dreams."

"Good. Keep it there." Graham said laughing.

Willow glanced at the clock and smiled brighter. Only five hours left. She could do it. She could make it throught the rest of the night before breaking down.

"So, Will. Any colleges in your area?" David asked.

Graham kicked him under the table, glaring at him.

Willow shook her head, "Nothing much. No. Small town and all. So, what else are we doing tonight?"

"I thought we'd have a volleyball game. We want to end our streak undefeated" David said, knowing not to push her.

"Sounds cool. I can't believe I'm winning at sports. None of my friends would believe it either."

"That's why we guys are nice to have around." Graham said, taking her arm and kissing her softly.

"I can think of other uses for you too....." Willow said softly, for his ears only.

He looked at her and smiled as she pranced after David, taking his arm and laughing.

***

"Willow. Please" Graham said softly.

"No. I can't."

"Damn it. I love you!"

She covered her ears. "I can't hear that. Please understand. I have to leave. It makes it too hard when you say that."

"I can't help how I feel. I've never felt this way about anyone."

"I love you too....but I have to go" Willow said, softly.

He leaned forward, putting his forehead against hers, "I can't let you. I know I have to here" he motioned around them, "But I can't here" he pointed to his heart, "Or here" he pointed to his head. "You'll never leave me."

Willow gave in to her tears. She closed her eyes, allowing him to pull her into a hug. She felt as though he were going to squeeze the life out of her. "I will never forget you."

He pulled back, "Here. This is my address and my phone number. I also gave you my email account. I don't know where we plan to go to school, but CALL me."

"Ok" Willow said taking the paper.

"Can I have your number?" he asked, desperation in his voice.

Willow rattled off a number. She didn't know what it was, but it would let her leave. "I have to go. Tanya is waiting. Take care of yourself....and David" she smiled softly.

"You too. I'll call you tomorrow....make sure you made it home safe. We'll be here another week before heading home."

"Ok." Willow felt guilt in her heart for the lie she had told him. She kissed him deeply, memorizing his taste and feel. "I love you Graham."

"I love you more, Willow" he responded, smiling softly.

"Goodbye."

"No. Goodnight" he corrected, knowing he wouldn't let her go.

She got in the car, her eyes on him in the rearview mirror as her aunt pulled away. She looked at the tearstained paper in her hands, reading the information on it. She looked back at him, wanting never to forget him. Her aunt smiled, "Did you love him?"

"Yes....just a summer romance though" she said quietly as she slowly ripped the paper he had given her in small pieces. She couldn't let him come to Sunnydale. He'd be hurt or worse and it would be her fault. She loved him too much for that. She had to give him up. It was the only way. She leaned her head against the window, her eyes on the ocean as she cried quietly, "Just a summer romance..."