Soaring

[ - ]
Printer ePub eBook
Table of Contents | - Text Size +
Story Notes:
10/26/06
There’s nothing quite like flying. Ever since Daphne was five and her brother, Evan, took her up on his broom, she’s loved being in the air. Evan taught her about Quidditch when he made the Slytherin team, and they attend matches together whenever they can, even now. He roots for the Tornados while she holds affection for the underdog of the league, the Chudley Cannons.

When she gets to Hogwarts, she’s disappointed to be sorted into Slytherin. Not because she lacks House pride or feels another House would suit her better, because, really, she does belong in Slytherin, particularly because she successfully keeps her love of Quidditch a secret from her housemates. No, she wants to be sorted into Ravenclaw because they allow girls on the Quidditch team. Slytherin has never had a female player, a fact that Evan found ridiculous and often grumbled about during break.

Instead of making the team her second year and proving herself to be the best chaser at school, she has to spend her days thinking about the chances of making a team after school without any playing experience. Her parents would be mortified to hear that she intends to pursue a sport they think is ‘just for boys’ and has no desire to simply marry and play the doting wife. That’s a role better suited for Parkinson, with her wild dreams of wealth and prestige. Daphne has better plans for her life.

Until then, though, she sits in the stands during matches and analyzes every play. She cringes when Goyle flies too wide and when Malfoy is too busy posing to play, knowing she could do better than any of them. It’s only then, as she watches them soar through the air and can just feel the air on her own face as she shows them how it’s really done, that she hates being in Slytherin.

End