Various Drabbles (Star Trek)

[ - ]
Printer Chapter or Story ePub eBook Chapter or Story
Table of Contents | - Text Size +
Prompt: Kirk/McCoy - Something to Talk About

“Is it true?” Jim asks before he’s fully seated.

“What the hell are you talking about?” Bones glares at him briefly before returning his attention to his dinner.

“Janice heard it from Thomas who heard it from M’ryn who was told by Gaila who says that Scotty told her.” Jim keeps staring at Bones with his best ‘I’m a mature man of twenty-seven and totally not freaked out by this rumor I’ve been hearing, oh, everywhere since we got back to the ship after the visit to Fylia II where my best friend got drunk on some local alcoholic truth serum with my Chief Engineer who gossips too much’ expression. He notices the way Bones tenses at the mention of Scotty’s name, and Jim can see that his neck is starting to flush. Soon, the tips of his ears will be red, because that’s how it always goes during the very few occasions when Bones has been embarrassed about something during their five plus years of friendship.

“People on this ship need to work harder instead of gossiping like a bunch of senile old women,” Bones growls, scowling at his plate as he stabs his pot roast with his fork.

The rumor is true. If it wasn’t, Bones would have been making some sort of witty remark cloaked in sarcasm, and Jim wouldn’t be about to hyperventilate at the realization that he isn’t bothered by the rumor because, well hell, he feels the same way about Bones. Only he hasn’t rambled on about the multitude of dirty, dirty things that he wants to do with Bones while under the influence of alien alcohol to Scotty.

“Forget about it,” Bones warns in that low, quiet, scary voice that tells Jim he’s treading on very thin ice and might very well fall through if he’s not careful. And, damn it, he’s just never that careful when it comes to Bones. Never has been, probably never will be. He’s stupid about Bones, always doing dumb shit and pushing as much as he can just because Bones is fucking hot when he finally pushes back.

“No,” he says firmly. Bones gives him a confused and wary look that becomes curious as Jim keeps looking across the table at him. “I’m not forgetting it, Bones. Not this time.” He stands up and walks around the table, fully aware that nearby conversations have faded into silence as the crew has started watching them. Well, they’re going to talk anyway, and Jim’s never much cared one way or another about being the center of attention, so let them talk. He kisses Bones right there at the table, straddling his lap and not caring at all about their rumor spreading audience.

At least, this time, the crew will get their facts straight and that ridiculous rumor about poor Doctor McCoy and unrequited love for the Captain can die a swift death. There’s nothing unrequited about this, after all.