Haunted

[ - ]
Printer ePub eBook
Table of Contents | - Text Size +
Year: 2007

Spike flipped the light on as he stepped out of the bathroom. He padded naked to his bed and found his jeans. Sliding them on, he pulled the zipper up and left the button unfastened. He walked into his living room, plopping on the couch. He reached for his remote, turning the television on to some silly talk show. He never actually watched the shows, he just liked the noise. He reached for his cigarettes, not feeling anything. He turned and glared at the table, trying to remember where he had them last. He knew he had thrown them on the table when he had come in that morning. He retraced his steps mentally and remembered throwing them down.

He stood from the couch, looking around the small table to see if they had fallen on the floor. He suddenly straightened, a scowl on his face. "Where are my damn smokes, Red?"

A soft giggle answered his question. "Smoking will kill you."

He almost smiled at the sound of her giggle but instead scowled deeper. "I'm already dead. Where are my damn cigarettes?"

"Nuh uh....you have to find them" she said playfully.

Spike sighed loudly, running a hand over his face, "Willow, give me my Marlboros. I'm not in the mood for some dumb game."

"Well, if you had gotten home before dawn." She said in a sing song voice. "You might know where they were."

He grinned at her words. "Someone's jealous that I wasn't home...."

"I don't get jealous. Besides, I could have gone with you." She said, her voice still playful.

He rolled his eyes, "I know. You can follow me wherever you want. You tell remind me of that everyday."

"You got it babe" she said, laughing as he continued to look for his cigarettes. She enjoyed the puzzled look on his face as he searched through every drawer and underneath every book. He'd never find them. She knew she should have felt guilty for playing with him this way, but he deserved it. He'd intentionally stayed out all night knowing she had said she would stay home that evening. She'd been stuck alone, wandering in and out bored out of her mind. No, guilt was no longer a factor for her.

Spike stood and continued to look. Finally, he sat on the couch and said with disgust, "Fine. I won't smoke."

He glanced up as she materialized in front of him, his Marlboros in her hand. He looked at her, taking in the impish grin on her pretty face. She still looked as she had five years before...on the day she had died.

Willow saw Spike's eyes soften as she materialized. She wasn't going to forgive him that easily. She saw his lips quirk in that way that had melted her when she was alive and she knew she was a goner. She tossed his smokes onto his lap, watching with amusement as he scrambled to light one. She drifted to hover over the chair opposite him. She had been dead for five years and still couldn't get use to not having an actual body. At times it was nice but at others it just served as a reminder to her death. "You need a hobby."

Spike grinned around his lighted Marlboro. "Red, you've been haunting for going on six years now. That's six years of having you try to get me to stop smoking. It ain't gonna work, sweets. Get over it."

She let herself disappear, irritated at his cockiness. She hovered in the air above the couch, watching and waiting. She saw him start to frown and glance around. She loved this. The one benefit of being dead. She got to spend her unlife with Spike. She saw him finally give in, knowing the look in his eyes before he even spoke.

"Reeeed" he whined, "I hate when I can't see you. Are you even in here now?"

She gave in to the panic in his eyes. She cleared her mind, allowing her body to come back. She saw his eyes watch her in relief. "Miss me?"

He scowled at her smirk, hating the need he had for her. "Like a toothache."

"Love you too Spike" she said, rolling her eyes. She settled down on the couch, watching the cushions dip as she sat down. It was strange not having a body. She ran her hand over her arm, not feeling anything. She sighed, looking at him. "How did you enjoy your evening out?"

He shrugged, "It was ok. Did you enjoy your evening in?"

She snorted, "Oh yeah...I love being alone. Spike, five years of only speaking to you has spoiled me."

"You could have gone and haunted the moron." He pointed out.

"I couldn't scare the kids!" she said.

"Those brats? It would do them good" he said.

"No. Besides, they know me" she said.

"What? I thought I was the only one that could see you?" he asked, a bit jealous.

"Spike, children can see things even if they aren't meant to" she said softly. She smiled, thinking of Xander and Anya's three children. "They have no idea who I am, but I think one day they'll realize I'm their dead Auntie Willow."

"With all those damn pictures of you up, they'd have to" he said, wondering when she had visited the moron. He knew from her that he was the only one she had ever showed herself to. He knew she didn't want Buffy or Xander to even know she was still around, in a way. But, he knew she watched them all. He'd never said anything, but he was happy that she had chosen him as her link, so to speak. She had been dead for a week before she had come to him. At first, he'd thought it was merely another dream. He had loved her for years, ever since he had been implanted. He had almost left Sunnydale when she had died, only staying out of a need to be close to where she had been. She had found him drunk by her gravesite. Ever since then, she had been with him. Haunting him, as she called it. He would often wake up in the middle of the night, his cock spent and her scent in the air. Dreams of images and caresses....he hated that he had never been able to know her intimately. She had never told him why she had come back. He'd never asked, just glad to have her in his life still. Even as a ghost, he loved her. And, he thought she loved him. "Well, you could have haunted Slutty and her boy toy."

"Riley is her husband, not a boy toy. And again, can you imagine her reaction if she saw me? She'd probably hire an exorcist or something." Willow said, smiling slightly as she thought of her best friend, the former slayer.

"So, guess I'm stuck with you" he said, smiling as he said the words.

"Yes" she said, smiling at him. "Stuck with me forever."

"Hmm...I guess I can handle that" he replied, taking another hit from his Marlboro. Forever. He liked the sound of that.

**********

Willow sat in the chair beside Spike's bed, watching him sleep. She ran her hand over his face, feeling his cool skin underneath her hand. She pulled her hand away as she let herself drift from the room. She hated this existence. Wanting so badly to touch him but never quite being able to. She could feel his coolness....hell, she'd even managed several times to bring him to orgasm, unknown to him. But, it wasn't the same. He couldn't touch her....hadn't touched her. For two years she had loved him and he had never shown any interest other than being a friend. It wasn't until she had died that she realized just how deeply he cared for her. He had loved her. All those wasted years.

She found herself wandering down a familiar street. She smiled softly, knowing she would follow her nightly routine. She moved into the small apartment, checking on the sleeping man. She let her hand drift in the air above him, smiling as she became satisfied that he was well. She smiled at Rupert Giles before leaving his apartment and continuing on her rounds. She found herself in front of the Finn residence. She let her mind peak inside, seeing both Riley and Buffy asleep. Their son was sleeping as well. She smiled as she detected another, faint heartbeat. She wondered if Buffy knew she was pregnant. She closed her eyes, touching the life. It was going to be a baby girl. She was happy that her friend had moved on and made up with Riley. It wouldn't do for the two to be apart. Together, they were something special.

Willow checked the last place, glad to find Xander and family safe at home. Xander had married Anya before she had died...she had been the maid of honor actually. Spike had been best man. Strangely enough, Spike and Xander had become very good friends over the years. Xander and Anya had three children. A boy, William, six years old. A little girl, Anne, four years old. And a new baby boy, Jesse, just eleven months old. Seeing them always brought two emotions. Happiness at the joy her friends had found and sadness that she would never experience the same. Sighing, she made her way home...back to Spike. She settled in the chair and again watched Spike. He had no idea why she had come back. She hadn't want him to know. If he had know, he'd have helped her and she would have to leave him. She couldn't stand leaving him again. It had hurt so much the last time. Now, after five and a half years, she loved him so much. She couldn't do it. But, she was going to have to. Six years. That's all the time she had been given. She had less than four months left. Four months with him. That was it. And now...now it was almost too late. She had to ask him for help. But, by doing so, she'd have to leave him. She closed her eyes as tears drifted across her cheeks.

She reached over and picked up his duster. Holding her to her face, she let his scent wash over her. She let herself fade out, the duster wrapped around her shoulders. Spike opened one eye, watching his duster disappear with her. He had known she was watching him. He closed his eye, wondering why she had looked so sad. He had seen the remains of the tears. He hated this. He really had only wish now. Had had only one since she had died. He wished he could just take her into his arms and hold her, never letting go. He tried to sleep, wondering where she went when she left him.

**********

Willow felt flames around her. Agony swept over her body as she fell. Fingernails scraped over her skin, drawing blood. She could smell the stench of death all around her. Somewhere above her, she heard laughter. She felt hands reaching for her, pulling at her. She kicked and tried to crawl away but to no avail. She screamed as pain filled her soul and the torture began. Suddenly, a familiar voice spoke up from the shadows. The pain was gone as was everything else. She looked into the pure darkness, listening to the words.

"My sweet child...you time is nearly up."

Willow nodded, sadness going through her. "I know."

"Then why is nothing done?" the voice demanded harshly.

"I...I couldn't leave him" Willow said simply.

A harsh laugh, "You were chosen, my dear. It was an honor for us to present you with your gift. Six years almost gone. Yet, things are as they were. Do you not realize the magnitude of your procrastination?"

She remembered the heat and the pain and looked at the two figures, "I understand. I'm sorry...I have three more months....I'll do it. I can't live like that."

"Well, if something is not done soon, you will. Eternal damnation for your soul. That was just a small hint of what will await you, my pretty."

"In reality, the pain will be so tremendous...someone with a human's mind can not even imagine. Three months, my dear. That is all you have. Will your chosen assist you?"

Willow bit her lip, "I hope so" she said softly.

"Love is very strong, my dear. But, it fades with time. Remember that and your decision will be much easier. Now, three months. That is all."

"Thank you" Willow said softly.

"Do not thank us. Nothing has been done yet. We gave you the opportunity, that is all. Now it is up to you and your chosen. You've seen what waits for your soul if you do not succeed. Keep that in mind and be careful. Your six years is almost up."

Willow watched as the images faded as she was left alone in the darkness of her mind. Three months. That was all she had left. Tomorrow, she would speak to Spike. She'd tell him everything and hope that her faith in him was justified. If not, she only had three months until eternal damnation. She shivered, memories of that brief pain consuming her mind. She couldn't go through that...not forever. Spike had to help her. He did love her as she loved him. Together, they had to save her soul.

**********

Spike put his head against the wall of the shower. Something was wrong with Willow. He had noticed the sadness around her eyes. There was something she wasn't telling him and it was driving him insane. Oh, she still acted as she had always. Playing and laughing, but he knew her better than he knew anyone. Something was bothering her. He felt coolness in the shower stall and turned around, his eyes widening in surprise at seeing Willow standing there. "Red?"

Willow let her eyes wander over him lovingly. He was so beautiful. She had never thought that word would describe a man, but for Spike it was perfect. His body had to have been sculpted from marble. His eyes could pierce the very core of her being. His mouth...well, she knew she had better stop. She watched the water droplets caress his chest and body as they fell over him. She reached her hand out, her palm flat, and watched as the water went through her. She smiled softly, "I miss this."

"Showering with me? Because I'm sorry luv, but I don't really remember that one happening" Spike said, a bit disturbed at her closeness. He watched the water go through her, wishing she were solid. He'd take her right there standing in the shower if he could. He cursed mentally as his cock began to react to his thoughts. Damn it. Why did she have to die?

Willow giggled at his words, "No...not that I never wished I could. I miss water. I actually miss a lot of things....do you know it has been almost six years? Six years of not feeling anything against my flesh. Of not being able to be held when I really really need to be....of knowing my time was coming and that every day brought the end closer....of having to leave you...."

Spike felt fear pass over him. He flipped the switch on the shower. "What the blood fuck are you talking about? You aren't leaving me again luv. And yes I know it's been six years. Chubs was just talking about it the other day."

Willow smiled fondly, "Xander...sweet reliable Xander. He's happy, you know. Anya and the children complete him. I knew he'd never forget me."

Spike had stepped from the shower and was drying off. He looked at her, again disturbed by the far off look in those familiar green eyes. "How could anyone forget you, luv?"

She looked at him, shaking herself from her thoughts. "Thank you Spike. But I know. As each year passes, memories fade. Soon, there will be no one that remembers me except faintly...maybe a flash of red hair will bring to mind my image during childhood...or something funny I use to say. I don't mind. Someone very wise once told me that love fades. They were right. Something else will take my place in their minds and I will be forgotten. I've dealt with that. I've had quite a bit of time to do so."

Spike just shook his head slowly, "You will never be forgotten, Willow. They loved you. You don't forget the people you love."

Willow looked away from him. It was easier for her to leave if she thought no one would remember her...that the pain and sadness would fade with time. She knew that Buffy still visited her grave weekly...she had often stumbled upon the blonde as she was discussing her life or just simply crying tears of remembrance. Did he think that was easy? To see your friends and loved ones in such pain because of you? Not be able to reach out and simply give them a reassuring touch? She died a little more each time she saw something like that because she knew there was no going back. It had happened. She was dead and they were moving on. She was still in their memories but that was almost worse for her than if they had simply forgotten her. She had to leave them all....she had to go forward and she hated thinking that they would always remember her with such sadness. No, she would think that they would forget her. That would help her get through this. She could move on if there was not sadness and pain. "Spike, we need to talk."

Spike nodded, a feeling of foreboding passing through him as he pulled his jeans on. "Of course, pet. Can we move into the living room?"

She nodded. "Yes. It is a bit of a long story and you will need to be comfortable."

Spike watched as she vanished, knowing she was already waiting for him by the couch. He ran a hand through his wet hair, closing his eyes. He didn't want to go in there. For some reason, he had seen the end in her eyes. He had a huge fear that he was going to lose her again...and there was nothing he could do to stop it. He couldn't go through that again. The feeling of being powerless. Of not being able to stop the pain, again. He steeled himself and went into the living room. He'd do anything he could to stop her from leaving. Anything.

Willow waited until Spike was settled before materializing again. She moved to sit down, knowing it was merely to make him more comfortable than for her own comfort. She gave herself weight, watching as the cushions again dipped. Anything to resemble being normal. Spike was going to have to deal with a lot in the next hour or so and she wanted it to go as smoothly as possible. She smiled as she saw him look towards the kitchen. "Spike, you can eat before we talk. This can wait a few more minutes...I mean, I've put it off for almost six years now...."

He frowned, wondering what she had kept a secret from him for six years. He said, "Thanks pet. I'll grab some blood and be back in a jiffy."

She watched him as he heated his breakfast and swallowed it quickly. She knew he hated living like Angel, but she also knew he was happier than he had been in over a hundred years. He was use to it now...use to not killing humans. His implant had finally been removed five years before. She'd been dead almost half a year when Riley had finally found the solution in some old papers. She could remember how nervous the others were, not knowing if he would suddenly kill them all. What they didn't know was that his love for her had prevented him from following through with any of his plans to torture them. Now, over time, he had found friendship with the group and the thought of hurting them or their children shocked him. She wondered if he was even aware of his feelings for the humans. She only knew from reading his thoughts as he slept.

"Ok pet. What do you have to tell?" Spike asked, his tone almost hesitant. He wasn't sure he wanted to know, to be honest. He was scared. For the first time in over 150 years of life and undeath, he was frightened. He knew from the resigned look in her eyes that he was going to lose her.

"Spike..." Willow started. "Let me just tell you as I remember it ok? I'll try to sum it up as quickly as I can. It might not even make a lot of sense because honestly there are times it doesn't make sense to me either."

"I'm ready, luv" Spike said, crossing his leg over his knee and watching her.

"You remember when I died..." Willow said. She saw the flash of pain in his eyes and smiled softly, "Well, I went to this place. It was dark and I knew I was dead. These two people....the powers that be if you will...the elders...I've heard many different names for them....anyway, that's not the point. They brought my soul to them. They told me that it had not been time to go. Buffy was suppose to have saved me and killed the bad guys. It hadn't happened the way the fates decreed it. So, they gave me a chance. An opportunity if you will. They would allow me to remain in this realm as a ghost to avenge my death. I could choose one person to assist me. I was given six years to perform this task so that my soul could gain peace and move on to a nice happy place." She looked at the floor as she spoke.

"IF" Spike said, not understanding but still following her story. "What if you don't?"

"Eternal damnation for my soul" Willow said softly.

"Bloody hell" Spike cursed, "And you've waited until now to tell me? I'm assuming I was the one you chose to help..."

"Yes" Willow said, looking at him. She caught his eyes. "I chose you."

"But" Spike said, remembering, "The slayer did kill the demon that murdered you. We all did. I saw it, pet."

Willow shook her head, "No. He was the one that actually did the deed but he wasn't the one that wanted it. He had been paid to kill me."

"So, you find the one who paid him, kill the bloke, get eternal peace and leave me?" Spike said, flinching at the vulnerability in his voice.

"I can't" Willow said.

"Can't leave?" Spike asked hopefully.

She smiled sadly, "I have to leave Spike. I was lucky that they gave me six years to be with you. I only chose you because I loved you so much...I couldn't leave you. No, I can't stay. No matter how badly I want to, I will be going on the anniversary of my death, if not before. What I meant is that I can't kill."

"What?"

"The person who hired the demon....I can't kill. That's why I have to have you. If I kill anyone while I am here....it is all taken back. I'll suffer in damnation but I fear it would even be worse....right now my soul is pure. With the death on it, well, it wouldn't be fun eternity." Willow said, grimacing.

"So, you could kill but you can't....I have to kill this bloke and then turn around and let you go?" Spike said, confused yet it did make sense. He had gotten six years with her that he never had imagined having. If it meant killing someone to free her soul, well, he could do that.

"Yes" Willow said, a tear falling across her cheek.

"I can do it. Tell me who and I'll kill them pet." Spike said. He saw the look of hesitance in her eyes. "Don't worry, Red. I love you." He spoke the words for the first time aloud.

"I love you too Spike....more than you can imagine. But, this will take more than just love."

Spike saw the look of uncertainty. "Why?"

She laughed, the sound hollow. "You haven't asked me yet who it was, Spike. Who wanted me dead so badly they hired a demon to face the Scooby gang to just insure that I was removed permanently....Don't you want to know who you have to face and kill for me?"

"Who?" Spike asked softly, somehow already fearing the dreaded answer.

Willow smiled, the smile not touching her eyes. She said the name softly, waiting for his reaction, "Drusilla."

Spike felt as if someone had rammed a stake through his heart. He closed his eyes in pain at hearing his former lover's name. Visions of his princess drifted through his mind as he remembered the time they had shared without Angelus. He asked softly, "Why?"

Willow cringed at the emotions she heard in his voice. This was why she hadn't said anything before. She knew he loved her, but she was scared that he didn't love her as much as he loved Drusilla. "You don't know?"

Spike shook his head, opening his eyes and looking at her. He felt horrible suddenly. Drusilla had arranged for the death of Willow and now he was suppose to find her and kill her. How could he kill her? Could he kill her? Even for Willow, that was a choice he wasn't sure he could make. He no longer loved Drusilla, but they had shared so much throughout the years. "Why?"

"Because you loved me" Willow said simply. She had seen the uncertainty in his eyes and knew he was going through a sort of hell at the moment. She had never wanted to put him in this position but she hadn't been given a choice.

He flinched, "What?"

She smiled softly at him, no anger in her eyes. "She could feel it Spike. Just because she no longer wanted you didn't mean that you could move on. She wanted me out of your life so that you would still love her I guess."

"That's nuts....No one knew. How the fuck am I suppose to believe that she did? She was all the way in Brazil." He said, his tone irritated. He had been the reason Willow had died. He couldn't accept that....it had all been his fault.

"She did." Willow said. "That's why the demon came after me. I don't think she expected the interference....expected for me to haunt you for all these years. If she had, she may have thought twice."

"She killed you because of me" Spike said, his eyes on the floor.

"Stop it" Willow said sharply, making him look at her. "No guilt. It wasn't your fault anymore than it was mine for falling in love with you. She made her own choice, Spike. Now, she has to face that."

Spike stood and began pacing. "Damn it Red. I don't know if I can do this."

"I'm sorry" Willow said softly.

"Why me? You were given a choice. Why choose me?" he asked, his blue eyes begging to understand why she had placed him in this impossible situation.

"I loved you. I never even thought about it, honestly. I just had to be with you." Willow said, remembering. "I mean, sure Buffy would have killed her but I wanted the time to be with you, not her. I didn't realize what I would be asking of you until after the choice was made. That's why I've never mentioned it until now."

"Why now?" he asked.

Willow cringed, "They gave me a taste of eternal damnation. I honestly thought I could live through it for you Spike, but I can't. I'm not that brave I guess. It hurt...a lot. I understand that this is tough for you....I did tell you that it would take more than love."

"I just don't know, pet" Spike said. He hated Dru for killing Willow...for taking away the one bright part of his horrid existence just so he would stay true to her memory. But, it was Dru. He could say now how easy it would be to simply stake her for the pain she had put him and Willow through, but he had to be honest. Could he really do it if he were facing her? He was scared that the answer to that would be no. Then, Willow would be forced to suffer even more because of his cowardice. "Fuck...I don't know...."

Willow watched his head fall to his knees as he came to terms with everything. She loved him so much. She now almost wished she'd chosen Buffy instead. Buffy would easily hunt Dru down and stake the bitch. But, Spike...well, he loved Dru. It wasn't fair of her to make him choose between them both. Because, that would be exactly what she was doing. If he chose her, Dru would die and her soul would be saved. If he chose Dru, well, she'd be in for an eternity of pain. Right now, watching him deal with it all....seeing the pain and memories flash over his face as he remembered Drusilla and the uncertainty in his eyes, well, damnation might be better than having to face the fact he might not love her enough. She let herself fade to her mind, giving him time alone to think. He had three months. No need to rush the decision yet.

From another realm, two images watched the scene.

{Will he do it?}

{He loves her. That is all I know}

{You old coot...you know more than that. You can see into his heart. Will she be saved or is it the other place?}

{I've told you before that your affection for this mortals would be the death of me, haven't I?}

{You like her too. soul is pure. She doesn't deserve to be damned. should never have died in the first place. You know that. Besides,'re one who offered choice. Remember?}

{Fine. I may have a soft spot for the girl. But, we can not interfere anymore. Gave her choice. She chose him. If Drusilla does die before three months passed, Willow will be damned. That is moot point}

{You worry too much. Give him time. His love for her is strong. It part of what attracted me to this case all along}

{Don't worry, he says. Easy for you to say. I like her soul. Maybe he will do it. If faced with the thought of what she will be facing, he may find the strength.}

{Exactly. If not, as I said, it can not be changed. Her choice was made by years ago. Come. Leave him in peace to decide. He is a strong one. faith may justified.}

{Maybe....I can hope...} (And, well, I may interfere just a bit my old friend.....)

**********

"Come along, lovey. We must go to our Spikey. He is calling to us" Drusilla said, holding the doll to the window. "The stars sing of death. He wants to hurt his Princess. For that mortal. She's still haunting him, my lovey. But no more. I shall go and take care of him....rid his mind of that red headed human." She frowned as the stars continued speaking, "Oh...he wants to hurt me. Make me bleed. There shall be none of that."

She stood and went to the door. She opened it, looking at the minion standing there. "Gather the others. We are going back to Sunnydale." She smiled sweetly as she lovingly brushed the hair of her dolly, "Spike must die."

******************

"NO!"

Angel shot up in bed at the scream. He looked over the side of the mattress at the brunette laying on the floor. "Delia, what is it?"

Cordelia shook her head, her breathing ragged. She was getting too old for this, she thought as she stood and went to get a glass of water from the bathroom. Twenty six and still getting stupid visions. She closed her eyes as she took a Tylenol. Damn the powers that be anyway. She opened her eyes and looked at her lover, "Sunnydale."

Angel froze at the name of the town. "What is it?"

She shrugged, "Big scary death I'm sure....."

"Delia." He warned, knowing she had seen something that scared her.

She swallowed the water and looked at him, "Spike...Drusilla...lots of blood and ...uh...well....uh.."

"Spike and Dru? Were they fighting?" Angel asked, knowing his childe had settled into living in Sunnydale these last few years.

"Yes...she was trying to kill him" Cordelia said, her voice hesitant. She never understood the images that the powers sent her. This one made no sense at all.

"Drusilla was trying to kill Spike?" Angel said, confused. As far as he knew, his daughter hadn't seen Spike in eight years. Why would she suddenly return intending to kill him? And what were he and Delia suppose to do?

"There's more" Cordelia said, not sure how to say it.

"What?"

She looked at Angel and whispered, "Willow was there...but she wasn't."


******

"Willow?" Spike called out. It had been a week since she had told him the real reason she was around. Seven days without seeing her. He was going crazy. He looked around the room, still not seeing her. "WILLOW!"

Spike stumbled to the sofa, sitting down and looking around for a glimpse of red hair. Had he lost her? He had been so stupid....lashing out at her news. It had taken him over twenty four hours to realize that it wasn't the thought of killing Drusilla that terrified him....it was the knowledge that he would lose Willow when he had done it. Dru was his past. He could admit that it was a deep past...a connection that had existed for most of his unlife. But, for Willow, he could do it. He had to. She'd lost so much for him...because of him. He couldn't even put his love for her into words. It was just a part of him now. A part of him he was going to be losing in less than three months.

He had spent the last few days trying to find out where Dru was. He still had no idea. Since aiding the slayer, most of his connections had been lost. He was still feared. Everyone in the community knew he could still kick their asses, but it didn't mean they were all that helpful. That along with the need for secrecy he had concerning finding Dru rather prohibited finding her quickly. He only had a few months to find her and kill her though. He again called out to Willow, "Willow...come out. Please?"

Willow heard his please and almost gave in. But, he had told her to go away and give him time. She was trying to do that. No matter how hard it was, she was going to wait until he was ready and he had made a decision. She had listened to him call out to her for days. She felt terrible not letting him know she was there but she had to wait. Besides, he should have been able to feel her. He knew she never left him for more than an hour. Of course, over the last week she had been spending more time with her old friends...watching them. She had spent so much of the five years with Spike and only briefly watching them. Now, she was going to be leaving and she'd never see them again. She wanted to gather memories to take with her, whether it be to the damnation or to the peaceful place the powers had spoken of. She at least hoped she'd have her memories.

She suddenly felt panicked. What if all that awaited her was nothing? Just empty space devoid of all that she had known? She had thought the pain of being damned was bad, but at least she'd had her mind in a way. What if the happy place was just floating around and feeling nothing? She was even more scared of losing all her memories of Spike and what they had shared than suffering through any amount of pain.

"Willow....I need you" Spike said to the empty room. He felt relief spread through him as she materialized in front of him. He saw the look in her eyes and was concerned, "What is it?"

Willow looked at him, tears on her cheeks. "I'm going to lose you Spike. No matter what happens...no matter what we do....I'm going to lose you."

"It's ok pet" Spike said.

"No it isn't" Willow said, looking away from him.

Spike wished at that moment he could simply take her into his arms and hold her. But, he knew he'd just go right through her if he even tried. So, he had to comfort her with his words. This was something he had gotten pretty good at over the years since her death. "Willow. We have three months, almost. If you spend all that time worrying about what is going to happen, we will have wasted it all. I've already started looking for Dru. I will kill her for you."

Willow looked at him, "I love you so much Spike."

He smiled a half smile, "I love you too Willow. I love you too. Now, give me a smile."

Willow smiled softly, wishing she could just hold him and feel his arms around her.

***************

Cordelia looked around the town as Angel drove through the dark streets. She leaned her head against the window, memories assailing her as they neared Giles' apartment. She hadn't been back to Sunnydale since the funeral. Hadn't wanted to be reminded of what they had lost that spring evening. Now, she had to face it. There was no choice. Spike needed them. She looked at Angel and saw the whiteness in his knuckles as he held the steering wheel. He was more nervous than she was, with reason. She reached her hand out and placed it on his arm. He glanced at her, smiling as he spoke softly.

"You ok?" he asked.

She nodded, "Yes. Just remembering....."

"Yeah" he agreed, his eyes giving her an idea of what he was remembering.

"Should we go to Spike first do you think?" she asked, her eyes again looking at the dark streets.

"No. If he knows about Dru, he won't tell us. It's better to see if the others know anything before we involve him at all." Angel said, speaking from experience regarding his childe.

"I wish I had seen more" she cursed softly. She hated her visions. Even after having them for so many years, they never got easier. In fact, as she aged, the pain often got worse. Luckily, over the years, they had gotten fewer and farther between. Now, she rarely had a vision more often than once every few months. That was why they took them so seriously when they were sent. This one worried her though. Spike had never been one of her favorite people, but he was Angelus' favorite childe. Besides that, Cordelia had seen how he had cared for Willow. For that, she would do what ever was necessary to save him. Even face Drusilla.

"You saw enough. We know Spike is going to fight Dru. We just have to figure out why and when and we should be safe." Angel said, not mentioning the appearance of Willow she had said had been present. They had discussed that and decided it must have been Cordelia's subconscious connecting the redhead to Spike automatically.

"I hope it's that easy" Cordelia said, remembering the last time a vision had taken them to Sunnydale, six years before. She really hoped this wasn't a replay of that fateful night. She had no intention of losing anyone else close to her again. It hurt too much.

"We're there" Angel said, stopping the car in front of Giles' apartment. His eyes moved to the lighted window and he saw several figures moving throughout the room. "He has company."

"Buffy and Xander" Cordelia said, seeing her old friend's hair and recognizing them. "Great. Just what we need. The whole gang's here."

"Spike isn't" Angel said, not sensing his childe's presence. "We can go in. We were going to have to ask them about this anyway. Saves us the time."

"You always look for the bright side" Cordelia said, leaning over and kissing his cheek.

"In this world, someone needs too" he said, kissing her mouth gently. Pulling away, he took an unneeded breath. "Let's go see what they know about Spike and Drusilla."

***************

Willow watched Spike, a soft smile on her face. Since he had found out she had such little time left, he had not wanted her to leave him at all. Every day, he slept briefly before getting up and simply sitting with her and talking. Over the past six years, they had gotten to know each other so well.

She had no reason not to tell him her true thoughts and feelings, knowing that he was the only one she could speak to. She had watched him search for Drusilla for the past month. Still nothing. Last he could find out, Dru had been seen down in Rio staying with a group of demons off the coast. But, she hadn't been seen for several weeks. She knew she only had a few weeks left, but she had vowed not to worry. Things would happen as they were meant to, she hoped.

"Peaches is in town" Spike suddenly said, a scowl on his handsome face.

"Angel?" Willow asked, surprise in her voice. The dark haired vampire hadn't been back to Sunnydale since her funeral. She had once gone to LA to check on him but the length of her journey had tired her and she hadn't repeated it once she was sure he and Cordelia were fine.

"I feel the damn bastard" Spike said, getting up and starting to pace. "What the hell does he want?"

"Do you think he heard about you searching for Dru?" she asked, trying to figure out why after all these years Angel would return.

"Not bloody likely." Spike snorted. Seeing Willow's face, he added more softly, "I didn't advertise the fact that it was me looking, pet. Didn't want Dru to hear about and react badly."

"Oh...of course not. Can't have Dru upset" Willow said, her voice calm as her heart raced. She had seen the gentleness that entered Spike's eyes when he spoke of Dru. Even now after making his choice, he loved the dark haired vampire. Willow suddenly feared that he would not be able to kill the woman, even for her.

"Don't" Spike warned, seeing the look of fear that had entered those beautiful green eyes. "I can and I will kill her. She took something from me....she has to pay."

"I trust you" Willow said simply, smiling at him. There was no need to worry him with her doubts. She knew he would do his best, she just wasn't sure anymore if that was enough. 'So, Angel....I wonder why."

Spike shrugged, "Who knows why dear old Dad does anything anymore. Sure I'll hear from him if he wants me."

"Oh...I could check" she offered, knowing it would be rather easy to feel Angel and Cordelia's presence in the town.

"No." Spike said, his eyes on her face. "You stay here....with me. Let the wanker call."

"Ok" Willow agreed, not really wanting to be away from Spike any longer than needed anyway. "So, tell me about Nice....."

Spike kept his eyes on her face, memorizing every detail yet again. He told her of his past and the events that surrounded his, Angelus' and Dru's visit to Nice. He smiled as she laughed at certain parts of his story. Inside, though, he was worried. It had to be something big that brought his sire back to Sunnydale. Before leaving all those years before, Angel had vowed never to return to this place. If he was back, well, Spike was scared of what had brought him here. He didn't want Willow to know his fears, though he was sure she could see them in his eyes. She could read him with just a glance. He watched her laugh again and realized they only had a few weeks left together. Maybe he was overreacting. Maybe Angel had tired of his self imposed exile and actually missed someone. Yeah, maybe that was it. He continued to talk to Willow, putting every word she said away for when she was gone and he could no longer hear her voice.

***************

Angel felt Cordelia stiffen beside him as he brought his fist up to knock. He knew she was nervous about being back in Sunnydale. Strangely, after all their years fighting demons and vampires, they had only lost one of their own. Willow. What hurt worse was that the girl had been a link that tied them all together. Upon losing her, he and Cordelia had stayed away, keeping in touch with Giles by email but never setting foot in Sunnydale again. Until now. The door opened and he saw Anya smiling at them.

"Oh my god....I must be seeing things" she said, a smile on her face as she hugged Cordelia. She looked at Angel, the smile fading as she saw the look in his eyes. She glanced back into the room, seeing that the adults had stopped talking and were trying to see who she was hugging.

"Anya" Cordelia said softly, stepping into Giles' new apartment. He had purchased it a few years before, saying the other one held too many memories. She saw the others watching, their expressions growing serious as Angel stepped into the room. "Hey guys. Having a party?"

"My birthday" Giles said, knowing that the two had not returned from LA for this event. He saw Buffy stand, her breathing ragged as she moved away from their visitors and went to sit beside Andrew, her son, who was playing with Anne and William. "And Jesse's."

"Jesse?" Cordelia said, smiling a bit. "He's already twelve months?"

"Growing fast" Xander said, noticing the tension in the air. He wasn't sure why Deadboy had returned, but he could tell from the pained look on the vampire's face that he wished he hadn't. That scared him. He had kids now...a wife. There had been no great evil to fight for years, since the Hellmouth had been closed. Most nasties stayed away from Sunnydale now, knowing what they would face. Two slayers and a group that had been slaying for over ten years. "How are you Delia?"

"I'm fine, Xander" she said, her eyes on the children who were playing, oblivious to the adult's behavior. She smiled sincerely as she listened to them, "Gawd, they are so big."

"It's been six years" Riley reminded, his eyes falling on the children.

"I remember" Cordelia said softly, laughing as William told his story.

Angel moved behind Cordelia, his hand seeking hers for strength. Buffy had not spoken, ignoring them both completely. With the children around, he couldn't very well blurt out why they were back. He smiled as he listened to William tell a story that had Anne and Andrew completely enthralled in moments. Soon, even the adults were listening to the child. "And then the evil nasty demon tried to kill the butiful princess. But she was too fast for him. She swirled and she danced, putting him under a spell. Soon, he was sleeping and she was able to kill the mean thing. Of course, the mean old witch wasn't happy" William said, watching as his sister's eyes widened. He loved scaring Anne.

"What did she do?" Anne asked, her soft voice a whisper.

"She made the princess disappear." William said, nodding sagely.

"Disappear?" Andrew said. "But, what about the prince? He saved her didn't he?"

William shook his head sadly, "No. The princess is still disappeared, lost until the prince saves her. But she likes being lost. She smiles a lot. And she watches out for us."

"I don't like that story" Anne said, her lower lip trembling. "I want the pretty princess to have a happy ending...."

William realized that Anne was going to cry. His sister crying usually meant he got into trouble. He hastened to add, "But, the prince found out about the mean old witch. He killed her and then the princess was able to be happy. He joined the princess in the disappeared place, cause she liked it there. Then they both watched over us, keeping us safe." He saw Anne's dark brown eyes smiling at his new ending and felt relief spread over his six year old body. He hated getting in trouble. Mother was always mean and made him listen to history lessons. Problem was Anne cried about everything it seemed to him. Girls, he thought in disgust. "And the pretty princess and the prince lived happily ever after."

"Why would they watch over us if the witch was gone?" Andrew asked, his blue eyes confused.

William scowled at the five year old. "Because, they love us. Now, quit asking dumb questions."

"William" Anya threatened, a smile in her voice. She loved hearing her son's tales of the pretty princess. Every day it seemed the princess was living another adventure. Last week, she had fought off evil robots from someone named Murdioch or some such thing. Her son had a wonderful imagination and she cherished that. He also loved trying to scare his little sister which wasn't so good. But, his talent for story telling had kept the other children quite for over a year now. Quiet children? Who was she to complain. "Maybe you and the other kids should go in and get ready for bed."

"But ma" William whined in the voice he had heard his father use. He blinked his eyes at his mother, unaware how much like his father he looked. He heard his aunt Buffy laugh at his expression.

"Uh oh, Anya. The infamous puppy dog eyes" Buffy said. "Andrew, go on in and try to sleep. Mommy and Daddy are going to be here a little longer" she said, kissing her son. He smiled and kissed his father before going into his grandpa's guest room.

"Goodie goodie William said, making a face at Andrew. He yelped as Anya grabbed him, laughing as she took him into the guest room.

"Come on, storyteller. Maybe you can tell them another Pretty Princess story before bed" Anya said with a smile.

"I wanna be carried" Anne said, looking at her daddy.

Xander sighed, picking up the girl and tickling her. "You want? Come on rascal. Let's get you into bed."

"After Anya and Xander return, I trust you will tell us why you are here?" Giles said, looking at Angel.

"Yes" he said simply, that one word scaring the adults more than anything they had heard lately.

***************

Angel waited to speak until Anya and Xander had returned. He paced nervously, not sure what to say exactly. "Cordelia had a vision."

"No" Buffy said, shaking her head. "No...I will not go through that again."

Riley put his arm around her shoulders, drawing her head against him. "Shh...What was the vision Cordelia?"

Before Cordelia could speak, the door opened and Spike came inside. He had a bag that he handed to Giles. "Didn't forget this year."

"Spike" Giles greeted him, smiling. He looked in the bag and removed a book. "My god. I've been wanting this for months. How on earth did you know?"

Spike shrugged, "A little birdie told me. Got the brat something too" he said to Anya and Xander. "Give it to you later."

"Spike" Angel said softly, his dark eyes on his childe.

"Peaches. Felt you in town" Spike said simply, knowing that he had been wrong to assume Angel's visit meant nothing. He took a seat, noticing the others looking scared.

"Delia had a vision" Angel said, trying to read Spike. He wished he could read minds. It would probably be the only way he would ever understand his blonde childe.

"I figured" Spike said. Seeing the others look at him, he shrugged, "What else would bring you both back to town?"

"The vision. What is it?" Xander asked.

"I don't know. It was Dru and Spike." Cordelia glanced at the blonde, noticing him tense up.

"What?" Buffy demanded. "Dru? What was happening?"

"I don't know. The damn things don't come with instruction manuals, you know?" Cordelia said. "It looked like Dru was about to kill Spike."

"Do you know something?" Angel asked his childe, having also noticed the way Spike had straightened at hearing Dru's name.

"No" Spike said simply, hoping that Willow wasn't listening.

In the guest room, Willow smiled as she looked at the children. Anne looked right at her, a smile on the girl's face.

"Pwincess" Anne said, holding out her hand.

William straightened at seeing the pretty lady. "Princess....is the evil witch after you?"

Willow smiled, recognizing the plot for one of the many stories William made up about her. She had starred in dozens of creative ideas the boy had. She shook her head, wondering why it was they could see her so well while others couldn't. She knew that with time their ability to see the things hidden around them would fade. It always did as a child grew older.

"It's grandpa's birthday" Andrew said, wondering if the princess had gotten his grandpa a present. "I got him a tie. Did you get him anything?"

"Shut up, Drew" William said, glaring at the boy. He would just make the princess unhappy if she hadn't bought grandpa a present. "Grandpa doesn't need anymore presents. He has too much anyway."

Willow laughed at the boy's words. In so many ways, he was Xander. Seeing him at that age reminded her of when she had met her Xander. They had been six and he had been as lively and creative as William was. Of course, Xander had never thought of her as pretty. She made a gesture to let the children know they should be sleeping. She saw William immediately lay down and smiled. Such a good boy.

"Night princess...don't let the nasty old witch get you." William said. "If she tries, I'll save you."

"You're not her prince" Anne said, yelping as William hit her. "That hurt."

"Cry baby" William said, closing his eyes.

Willow faded from the room, needing to see Spike. She arrived in time to hear Cordelia's words. A bolt of fear ran through her. Dru was killing Spike in Delia's vision. She listened, not wanting to react.

"I don't know!" Spike said again. "I haven't heard from the daft bitch since I left Brazil about eight years ago."

"Why would she come here and try to kill Spike?" Riley asked.

"Drusilla has never been very sane" Angel said.

Buffy snorted, "That's an understatement. The bitch is nuts. Damn it, Angel. Why can't you stay away? Everytime you come here, someone dies."

"Buffy!" Giles said, seeing the hurt look enter the vampire's eyes.

"It's ok Giles" Angel said. "She's right. It was my fault that Willow died...now I have to bring the news that Spike might."

"If the damn bitch comes after me, I'll fight her" Spike said, feeling Willow's presence. Damn it. Why did she have to arrive now? "She'll die before I do."

"No one is going to die" Angel said. "Not this time."

Buffy couldn't look at her former love or his new lover as memories came back to her. She remembered the last time they had sat in Giles' living room discussing a vision. That night Willow had died. She had lost her best friend and her entire world had been changed. She leaned against Riley, just needing to feel protected.

"Peaches, if the visions says I die, I die. BUT, Dru will be coming with me" Spike said, determination in his blue eyes. "The bitch will be dust."

"She'll have to go through us first" Buffy said, looking at the vampire. Strangely, his connection to Willow had strengthened his place in her heart. When Willow had gone, she had seen how it affected Spike. She had to let go of her silly hatred and accept him. Now, he was a good friend, though he'd never admit it.

"Yeah...Buffy's right. You're one of us, now" Xander said, visions of Willow in his mind. "We aren't losing another one."

"Fuck...stay out of it" Spike said, hating that they actually cared. This is what he had to do. He had to face Dru, for Willow. They didn't. "This is my battle."

"No. It's our battle" Riley said, "So get over it. We all face her if she comes."

"Would it be too corny if I added, all for one and one for all?" Anya said with a smile. She broke the tension causing the others to laugh.

"No." Spike said simply. "I will not allow it. This is my fight!"

"This is my town" Buffy said, glaring. "So deal. We all face the loony bitch. If we die, well....at least it's better than living with the idea that we didn't even try. Mom can watch the kids....I'm sure she wouldn't mind. We will do this Spike. I am not letting someone else I love die."

"William can watch over the kids" Anya said, her eyes determined. After Willow had died, she often felt as if she should have done something. She was not going to go through that again. She didn't like guilt.

"He'll take care of them" Xander said, everyone knowing he could have added 'if we all die'.

"We need to find out where Dru is and why she is coming after Spike" Angel said, not sure if they were making the right decision, but knowing it would be useless to try to talk them out of it. All he could do is protect them as best he could.

"Fuck it. I said NO" Spike said, anger in his eyes and voice. This is why he didn't like humans. They never listened. He was the one that had to face Dru. He didn't want of them getting hurt or killed. Hell, they had families to worry about. All he had was Willow, who he was going to lose anyway. Not a lot to live for, in his eyes.

"I'll get in touch with Faith. She's suppose to be back from Miami and training with the new slayer this week anyway" Buffy said, ignoring Spike's vehement refusal for assistance.

"We can do this." Xander said. "Spike, deal with it. You face Dru with all of us."

"Noooooooooo" a soft voice said from the space between Spike and the table.

Everyone turned to look at the girl. "Anne, honey. What is it?"

Anne ran to her mother, "Bad dream. The princess was gone."

"I'm going to kill that boy" Xander said, thinking about William. "His stories are scaring her."

"Honey, it was just a dream." Anya said, glaring at Xander. 'Not in front of Anne' she mouthed.

Anne shook her head, "No. The princess was gone. William couldn't save her like he promised."

Anya sighed, standing. "Come on baby. Let's get you back into bed. It was just a dream."

Anne sniffled, her head against Anya's shoulder. She looked up, brown eyes looking at Spike. "The princess is going away."

Spike smiled sadly, "I know, sweets. I know."

"That boy...he just loves scaring her" Xander said, making a face.

"Wonder who he gets that from?" Cordelia said dryly.

"I don't scare people" Xander said defensively.

"I remember when you use to scare the hell out of Jesse and Willow when we were kids" Cordelia said, smiling as she remembered. That was before she was friends with any of them.

"Yeah...I remember" Xander said, "I loved to make Willow jump."

"How is she?" Buffy asked, seeing Anya come back and wanting to get off the topic of Willow.

"She's sleeping. It was just a bad dream. You'd think with how these kids act that this princess was real" Anya said, smiling.

"To them, she is" Riley said, yawning.

"There is nothing we can do about this tonight so why don't we meet back here tomorrow and start making plans?" Buffy said, stretching. "I can get Mom to babysit. She loves the kids."

"Forget it" Spike said, standing. "My fight. My life. Stay out of it."

They watched him leave, surprised by how angry he was. Angel's eyes narrowed, "He knows something."

"You think?" Cordelia asked.

"He is acting weird" Xander said. "Well, weirder than normal."

"I was gonna say...." Riley said smiling.

"I'll see if I can find any prophecies or something that might help us." Giles said.

"See you tomorrow" Buffy said as Riley came in carrying Andrew.

"Bye Buffy. Riley" Giles said, knowing that this wasn't a birthday he'd soon forget. "Do you and Cordelia have somewhere to stay?"

Angel shook his head. "We came straight here."

"I have a spare room" Giles said, kissing Anya's cheek as she and Xander left with their children. William followed them sleepily, hugging Giles leg as he stumbled past. "You are both staying here."

"Thanks" Angel said, wondering what was happening with Spike.

***************

"No."

"Yes."

Willow shook her head, "No. I am not letting you kill yourself to save my soul."

"Red, you don't have a choice. I'm going to kill her. If I die, well, I die" Spike said.

"Spike, do you think my soul could be in peace knowing you died because of me?" Willow asked, upset over his thinking.

"Damn it, Willow. I have to kill her. Not for you...for me. She took the only thing I've cared about away." Spike said, glaring at her.

"I won't allow it Spike. I also won't allow the others to get involved. This is not their fight" Willow said.

Spike snorted, "Finally we agree on something. The damn silly humans. Dru would kill several of them before getting to me."

"You have to meet with them tonight and convince them to stay out of it. They can't interfere or it might not work at all" Willow said.

"What?" Spike asked. "Fuck. How the hell am I suppose to convince them not to be all goodie goodie and help?"

Willow sighed, her words surprising him. "Tell them the truth."

"I can't" Spike said.

"You have to. Tell them about me....about my soul. They will stay out of it if they know they are helping me." Willow said, knowing this was the only way. She could not have any of them dying because of her. Spike she knew she couldn't control, but the others had to stay out of it.

"Will it hurt anything?" Spike asked, not sure if anyone was suppose to know the truth about her haunting him.

"No. I just didn't want them to know....they could have all along I'm sure" Willow said. "I'll go with you, but I can't let them see me. They have to know, Spike. It's the only way to protect them."

Spike thought about it. She was right. The only way the damn meddlesome group would stay out of it was if they knew it was to save Willow. "Fine. I'll tell them tonight."

"Thank god" Willow said, breathing a sigh of relief. At least she wouldn't have to worry about them. She looked at Spike and said softly, "I love you so much. You know that don't you?"

"Yes." he replied. "I love you too, Red."

She smiled before she said, "Drusilla is in Sunnydale. I feel her."

Spike stiffened, a look of displeasure crossing his face. "Good. We can get this finished."

"Yes, we can" Willow said quietly, her eyes on his face, memorizing every detail. It wouldn't be long before she would be leaving him.

***************

Spike walked into the watcher's living room, not surprised to see everyone already researching. He sat down, not sure exactly what to say. He cleared his throat, catching their attention. "Drusilla is in Sunnydale."

"What?" Buffy demanded. "How do you know?"

Spike looked away from them, feeling Willow beside him. "I was told."

"By who?" Angel asked. He hadn't felt his daughter's arrival. "What aren't you telling us Spike?"

"Fuck it." Spike said. "Willow told me."

"Not funny" Xander said, glaring at Spike.

"It's not meant to be" Spike said, looking at them. "She's been haunting me since a week after her death. She's here now in fact."

"No...you're lying" Buffy said, hurt that her friend had shown herself to Spike and not to her.

"Why hasn't she moved on?" Cordelia asked, confused.

"It wasn't her time....Buffy was suppose to arrive and save her but well, you know what happened" Spike said, his eyes flickering over both Angel and Cordelia's faces.

Angel blanched, remembering all too well what had happened. He and Cordelia had been about to die. The demon had them before Willow called out to it, diverting it away. She had run, trying to save them. The demon had followed, killing her before Spike or Buffy could reach it.

"She was given a chance...six years to spend with a chosen one...." Spike ran a hand over his face. "I have to kill Drusilla before the six years is up or Willow's soul is damned for eternity."

"What?" Riley asked.

"Why Dru?" Anya asked.

"Dru is the one that sent the demon....she wanted Willow dead" Spike said, his voice emotionless.

"Why?" Giles asked.

Spike looked at him, guilt in his blue eyes. "Because, Dru knew I loved Willow more than I ever loved her. She felt threatened."

"Damn" Buffy said, "You're the one that has to kill Dru to save Willow's soul?"

"Yes" Spike said, glossing over the details. He was the one who was going to kill Dru, maybe not the one that had to. The slayer didn't need to know that.

"I don't like this" Angel said. "In Delia's vision, Dru was about to kill you."

"She'll be going with me if she does" Spike said, his eyes fixed on his sire's face. "I won't let Willow be damned."

"And I won't let you commit suicide...alone" Angel said, his own face determined.

"We can still help. We can divert her so you can kill the loony bitch" Buffy said.

"NO! Willow said that it has to be me against Dru. Anyone else being around could affect her soul." Spike said, saying what he and Willow had decided on.

"I can't let her soul suffer" Xander said, looking hopelessly at Buffy.

"Me either" Buffy agreed. She looked at Spike. "Damn it. Why didn't you tell us? Six years....and she was here."

"It wasn't my place. The only reason she said anything now was to save your sorry ass" Spike said gruffly.

"When her soul is safe...she leaves?" Riley asked.

"Yes" Spike said, the word sounding sad.

"God...I'm so sorry" Anya said, her hand on his arm.

Spike shrugged, "I had six years with her. She has to go."

Xander couldn't believe that Willow had been around all this time. Suddenly, a few things made sense. The feeling he would get sometimes that he was being watched. The times he could have sworn he saw a glimpse of red hair. She had been looking after him. He smiled softly, wishing she were still alive. He missed her so much. Every day something would happen that he wished he could tell her. He didn't know how Spike was going to be able to make it. The last time, the blonde had seriously been a threat to his own safety. Now, he had had six more years to fall deeper in love. Xander was worried about his friend but he knew the stubborn ass wouldn't listen to him. "When are you going after Dru?"

"I don't know. I've been looking for her for over a month. Now, suddenly, she shows up here. Just seems a bit odd to me" Spike said, frowning.

"She must know" Giles said. His other words were stopped as the door flew open. Joyce ran inside, Jesse in her arms. Anne and Andrew followed her, both their faces covered with tears.

"Is he here?" Joyce demanded, fear and anxiety covering her face.

"What?" they asked.

"Dear lord" Joyce said, sinking into a chair as Anya took Jesse. "William...he's gone."

"What?" Xander demanded, fear going through him. He looked outside and saw the moon.

"The evil witch has him" Anne said, crying. She looked into the empty air beside Spike. "You have to save him."

"The witch?" Buffy said, holding onto Andrew tightly.

Andrew nodded, his own eyes looking into emptiness. "She's so mean. She tried to get us but he told us to run. He said to find you...that you'd save him like he'd save you."

"Someone took William?" Cordelia said, not following the children's words.

"Princess...please save him....the witch is going to kill him" Anne said, holding her hand out towards Willow as tears streaked down her chubby cheeks.

"Princess?" Xander said confused. Why was she talking to a character from William's stories? He froze as before his eyes a shape was revealed. A familiar redhead stood in the space that was empty seconds before. Her hand held out to Anne's as she looked at Spike, her green eyes sad. Xander said softly, wondering if the others could see her too, "Willow."

"What?" Buffy said, hearing Xander's whispered word. She looked and froze. Willow was standing there. She blinked away tears as she saw her friend for the first time in six years. "Oh my god...Willow."

"Drusilla has him" Willow said, her eyes focused solely on Spike's face.

"I'll get him" Spike said, wondering how Dru had known to go after the kids.

Willow smiled softly, "Yes, you will. I can feel him....he's so scared but he's being brave. He knows I'll save him."

"Do you know where he is? Where she has him?" Spike asked, not believing how quickly everything was happening. He was going to lose Willow too soon. He saw her nod.

"Yes. I know where they are" Willow said, looking up. She looked at Xander and guilt entered her eyes. "I'm so sorry....I never thought she'd go after anyone other than Spike.....I won't let him be hurt."

"I know" Xander said, amazed that he was standing there talking to his best friend again. He saw her waver and could make out the wall behind her. How had Spike done it for six years? Seeing her and knowing he couldn't touch her?

"Willow" Angel said softly, "I'm sorry....it's my fault you died."

"No one's fault. It happened. Quit blaming everything that happens on yourself Angel. Be happy." Willow said, smiling at him. She looked at Spike.

"Are you ready?"

"No. I'll never be ready to lose you." he admitted. "I don't want to let you go Red, but I know I have to. So, let's go save William and kill that bitch."

She looked at her friends and smiled softly, "Take care of him for me. I love you all" she said as she faded from their view.

Buffy put her head into Riley's shoulder as she sobbed, her tears soaking his shirt. Anya held onto Anne tightly, Xander's arm around her as they waited tensely for the return of William. Angel simply held Cordelia, her tears flowing silently. Spike left with a smile and a promise to return William soon.

Anne looked at Andrew and said, "Uncie Spike is her prince. Bet William didn't know that."

"Don't cry mommy." Andrew said. "The princess will defeat the nasty old witch. She always does."

"I hope so, sweetie" Buffy said, hugging her son. She continued to cry for Willow.

***************

"Spike, listen to me" Willow said, making the blonde turn and face her.

"What is it luv?" Spike asked, trying to deny that this would be the last time he saw her.

"I love you. I think I've loved you since first seeing you back nine years ago. I have to move on...but you don't. You belong here. You have to watch over the kids for me...keep them safe...." she broke off as tears covered her cheeks. "Promise me you won't do anything stupid, Spike."

Spike caught her eyes and knew what she was thinking. He brought his hand up, his eyes showing his pain. He ached to simply touch her once but he knew his hand would just go right through her. He let it fall as he said, "I won't walk into the sun, pet. And for you, I'll look after the brats....even the slayer's newest. I won't let anything happen to them."

She smiled softly, "Thank you. I couldn't go thinking you might kill yourself. Promise me something."

"What now?" he asked, trying to smile.

"Promise that you'll always remember me....but that you'll let me go" Willow said, her heart breaking as she asked this final favor of him.

"I will NEVER forget you" he said, his voice soft. "But, I can't let you go...not here" he said, putting his hand over his heart.

"You have to" she said, blinking away tears. "You are going to have to move on someday. Please Spike....for me. Promise you won't refuse love if it finds you again."

"I could do anything else you ask, pet. But not that" he said. "You are the only one that will ever be in my heart. I realized that after you died....you're my destiny. I'll watch over the brats for you....hell, I'll even protect the others just so you can see them again one day." He paused, his voice thick with emotion, "But, I can't promise that we won't meet again. God, I hope we do...."

"Shh..." Willow said, crying. "We will....fate couldn't be that cruel. I love you, Spike."

"I love you, my sweet Willow" he said, angry at the tear he felt slide from his eyes. "More than anything."

She smiled, feeling relieved that he was going to be ok. She knew in her heart that one day he'd fall in love again. He was going to have a long life ahead of him and she'd be selfish if she wanted him to remain alone. But, she knew he would never forget her. "Well, then, let's save William."

***************

Drusilla scowled at the boy. "Shut up."

"No" William said. "My princess is going to save me you wicked old witch."

"What was that" Dru asked, hearing a noise. She turned and smiled as she saw Spike come into the room. "Spike!"

"Dru" Spike said, looking at William. He knew if he looked into her face he might not be brave enough to kill her.

"Spike! Did you bring the princess?" William asked.

"Yes, mate. The princess is here" Spike said, not moving as Dru came towards him.

"What have they done to you Spikey?" Dru asked. "So soft...so human" she spat the last word.

"Let the boy go, Dru. This is between us" Spike said, looking into her eyes for the first time. He was surprised that he felt nothing except disgust and anger.

"His blood calls to me" Dru said. "After I kill you, I plan to eat him all up."

Spike moved, pushing against her. They both morphed out as they began to fight. William saw the princess and smiled, moving towards her and the door. He heard a loud growl and turned to see Spike laying on the ground, bleeding. The witch was over him, holding a stake.

"So weak" Dru hissed, "Too easy."

Spike kicked up, knocking her down. He looked at William and screamed, "RUN Boy."

William ran, not wanting to watch anymore. He heard more growls and grunts as the witch and Spike began to fight. He suddenly realized that Spike was the prince. He had been all along. He frowned, hoping the princess would be ok.

"You are going to die" Spike told Dru, his words growled.

"All this for some dead human" she said, moving forward.

"Her name is Willow" Spike said, lashing out at her.

Willow materialized beside them. She watched as William stood at the door, watching again. His young face was scared but relaxed. He knew how this was going to end. She smiled at him, blowing him a kiss. This was one story that wouldn't have a happy ending. She had realized what she had to do. She gave herself weight as she pulled Dru off of Spike right before she plunged the stake down. Dru was surprised and lashed out. Willow's green eyes caught Spike's blue ones.

"I love you Spike" she said as she wrenched the stake away from Dru.

Spike sat up, his body in pain as he suddenly realized what Willow was going to do. "NOOOOO!"

Willow smiled sadly at him before she pushed the stake into Drusilla. "I love you." She said before she felt pain rip through her. She screamed in agony as she faded before his eyes.

Spike scrambled to where they had been. Dust not lay on the floor. Willow was gone. He collapsed on the floor, tears covering his face. She had given herself again to save him this time. He knew what her actions would cause. He sobbed as he felt a warm hand on his head. He looked up into Willow's face.

"The princess is gone" William said, his own eyes teary as he realized this time it wasn't just a story. "She saved us."

"I know" Spike said, pulling the boy to him. They both cried silently as Drusilla's ashes settled on the floor around them.

***************

Anya jumped up as Spike and William came into the apartment. She saw the torn clothes and blood covering Spike and knew it had not been easy. She held William tightly as she looked into Spike's bloodcolored eyes.

"She's gone" is all Spike said, sinking to the couch, his head between his knees.

"Princess killed the witch" William said, his own face tear stained.

"The princess's name was Willow." Xander said, pulling his son into his arms. "I'll tell you about her one day....she was my best friend."

"Wait...Willow killed Dru?" Buffy asked.

Spike nodded, looking up. "Dru was about to kill me...I had her too, but her stake was close....Willow...she" he paused, gathering his emotions. "She pulled Dru back and staked her."

"She damned herself" Angel said, remembering the details that Spike had given them. "My god...."

Spike looked away, "She was in pain...screamed so loud..."

"No" Buffy said. "No..."

"She made her choice" Xander said, his heart breaking at the idea that his Willow was suffering but knowing that she wouldn't have done anything different. "She gave herself to save Spike."

"She should have let me die" Spike said. "Damn...I promised her I wouldn't do anything....But...this is hard...so fucking hard...I can't live without her...." he began to cry, breaking down in front of them. They looked at him surprised by the emotion he was showing.

Angel moved to his childe's side. "Spike....Willow would be pissed if she heard you. You promised her. You know what Willow was like about promises."

Spike looked at his sire, "I know....I just.....too soon. I was suppose to have a few more weeks with her. Damn it."

Angel was shocked to see just how deeply Spike had cared about Willow. He had known his childe was in love with the girl. He'd known that even six years before. But, he hadn't realized just how in love. "Why don't you let me take you home? We can talk."

"No" Spike said, shaking his head. "I'd see her everywhere. I can't deal with that."

"You can sleep in my room, Uncle Spike" William said quietly. "I have an extra bed."

Spike looked at the boy, surprised to see the sadness in the kid's eyes. He remembered all the stories of the princess and the happy endings the child spoke of. Poor kid had just realized an important lesson in life. There was no such thing as a happy ending. Besides that, the boy had had a slight crush on the ghost he was able to see. Seeing her die...well, he'd been more upset than the others realized. "I'll accept that offer, mate."

William stood and left his father's arms, reaching his hand out to his uncle. "Tell me about her, uncle. Did you love her?"

Spike looked away from the boy, tears in his eyes that he wiped away. "Yes...I love her." He got his emotions under control and leaned over, picking the boy up and walking out the door with him. He began to speak, "Her name was Willow and she was the most beautiful princess in all of Sunnydale....."

***************

Spike heard a soft cry and was out of his bed instantly. He checked on William, his new roommate. The boy was having a nightmare. Spike sighed as he sat back on the bed. He couldn't go back to his apartment so he had taken up residence in the boy's room. Xander and Anya were glad to have him. Not only did it allow them to make sure he didn't do anything to himself, he also was good for William. For some reason, he quieted William down. Since Willow had left, William had gotten loud and was having nightmares. Spike felt responsible for Dru having taken the boy in the first place. Poor kid was going to experience the horrors of Sunnydale at a young age. Spike had caught the kid the other day reading through some old books, looking at pictures of demons and vampires. No wonder he was having nightmares.

Spike moved to the window, his blue eyes looking at the street below him. Things were peaceful. Angel and Cordelia had stayed long enough to make sure Spike wasn't suicidal before leaving and going back to LA. They had phoned several times since then, vowing to keep in touch this time. Buffy had found out about the baby. Spike had told her that Willow said it was a girl. She had been touched that Willow had watched out for her. The other kids had recovered completely from the entire ordeal. William was a worry though. He had always been very intelligent, already being in third grade and only six, plus he let things affect him. He had not told any stores since his princess had died. He rarely spoke anymore, losing himself in the old books and pictures of Willow that Xander had. Spike and the boy often spoke of the girl as they laid down at night. William still called her princess and sometimes called her auntie Willow. To Spike, she would always be his princess. He hoped she was not in pain. It had been just a short time since he had lost her, yet it seemed like forever.

He heard the boy sigh and say thank you. He looked at him, scowling. What sort of dream was he having this time? He saw a smile of delight cross the sleeping youth's face and then heard a giggle. At least it wasn't a nightmare. He ruffled the boy's hair before sitting back on the bed. He bumped into something and looked. He didn't see anything. He flipped the light switch on, his face freezing as he looked at her. "Willow?"

She smiled, moving forward. She hugged him tightly, feeling him for the first time in years. "God...Spike..."

"What? How?" Spike asked, feeling her warmth. He breathed in the scent of her shampoo and looked into her green eyes.

"What? Well, they let me go....I don't know really understand. One minute there was nothing except my memories and then, I was facing them and being released. I'm alive again...well, sort of."

"You won't leave me again?" Spike demanded, noticing the lack of heartbeat. "Why aren't you breathing?"

"That's the sort of" Willow said. "They chose me to be a savior. I'm immortal and I have to follow their directions...their guidance.....a bit like Angel I guess. I can be with you though...."

"Why? I mean, why now and not before?" Spike asked, not letting her go.

"They weren't sure if I was ready before. They deliberately set me up to see if I would sacrifice myself again for one I love. When I did, well, I guess it proved that my soul was pure enough for the job of saving innocents."

"This is for real? Not a time limit?" Spike asked, his hand stroking her face.

"Forever and ever" she said with a smile. "They hadn't planned on allowing me to come back here.....thought I'd be more useful somewhere else...."

"Damn them" he cursed, thinking he almost hadn't gotten her back. "What did you tell them to change their minds?"

Willow laughed softly, her hand on his face, "I didn't. William did. The little rascal figured out a way to speak to them...to demand that they release me so that I could watch over him and his friends....he said that they needed me. He also mentioned you, prince. Said he wanted his happy ending, damn it.....remind me to tell Anya about his cursing habits....wonder where on earth he got those from?" she said looking at him pointedly.

"William?" Spike asked, looking at the smiling sleeping boy. He suddenly understood the secrecy and the ancient books. He started to laugh, pulling Willow into him. "We are so going to have trouble with that one, aren't we?"

Willow smiled, "Let's just say he's going to be a handful. But, he's going to do wonderful things. They all are....with our guidance. Heck, he's already started...."

Spike smiled, brushing his finger against her lips. He couldn't believe she was back, for real this time. And he owed it all to a six year old brat. "Yeah he has...he got you back for me...."

Willow smiled as she leaned up and kissed him for the first time. She pulled back, seeing the desire and love in his blue eyes. She had never imagined that dying could make her so very happy. She wound her fingers in his hair, whispering against his lips, "Here's to happy endings, my love."

William heard the words and peeked out from his covers. Willow and Spike were kissing. He smiled, glad that his readings had helped. Now, maybe things would get back to normal. He watched them kiss and saw the love surround them. He hoped that one day he'd find his own princess. They seemed so happy. Turning to face his wall, he closed his eyes. He loved happy endings.

THE END