Wild Rose

[ - ]
Printer ePub eBook
Table of Contents | - Text Size +
July 1871

Willow Rosen licked the tip of her pencil as she finished putting the numbers in the column. She smiled as she saw that her father's saloon was doing well. She would have to tell him that it was making twice what the hotel made. Thinking of the girls that often accompanied the men upstairs, she amended that. Taking every aspect into consideration, she knew that one did well with the other. She finished with the days books, gathering the money to take to the bank. Her father was still asleep. She knew that no one at the Wild Rose would be awake until at least noon. The girls all slept during the day, their work taking place at night. Willow put the books back into the desk and put the money in the safe. It was still early to go to the bank.

She knew that the girls thought it odd that she required so little sleep. Willow would usually run the hotel for her father as he tended to the saloon. Since they were joined together by a large hallway, he was able to keep an eye on her while keeping her away from the drunken cowboys that often patronized the saloon. But, when things were slow in the saloon, the girls would usually come over and keep her company. Willow knew that Giles just worried about her being around the men, but there were times she wished that she could go into the saloon openly and watch. Actually, there were many times she snuck over. The bartender, Graham, usually gave her something on the sly and would usually let her know when Giles was walking around, giving her plenty of time to escape. She had almost been caught a couple of times, but one of the girls usually managed to divert Giles so Willow could make the escape back into the hotel.

Rupert Giles was not Willow's real father. The redhead honestly had no idea who her real father was. In every way that mattered, Giles was her dad. Her mother had been one of Rupert's girls in his brothel in New Orleans. When she had become pregnant by one of her clients, the Englishman had helped her with the baby. She had died of complications when Willow was born, leaving the single bachelor with a small red-haired baby to take care of. He had sold his brothel, moving West to Harrington, a small cattle town in Kansas. He had opened the hotel, intending to be respectful. Of course, by the time Willow was six, the saloon had been added and he was one of the wealthiest residents in the booming cattle town. They were right on the path of two major cattle trails that headed into Nebraska, not a day's ride from Abilene, and the railway had moved into town three years before. All in all, Harrington was thriving. Luckily, the residents were smart enough to know why. The saloons and gals that the cowboys paid to visit. So, Giles was respected and still one of the wealthiest men in town. Because Willow was his daughter, she was treated with respect. He kept her away from the saloon to keep it that way. In every way except blood, she was his daughter.

Willow loved the saloon. The Wild Rose, named for her. It was wonderful. She had seen so many people walk through its doors, losing track of the many faces and names. She loved the times that Giles would need her to help with the saloon. They were few and far between, but when one of the girls was sick, she would be asked to lay out drinks or help Graham. Of course, Giles only let her wear men's britches so half the men and women that were drinking never even knew she was a girl. That was another way of Giles ways to protect her virtue. She was just the cute kid that helped around the place. But she didn't mind. In fact, she was glad that the men didn't look at her like they looked at her friends. She didn't know how the girls could live life the way they did, bedding so many different men without caring. Now she knew that each of her friends did care about one of their clients, but they had so many. It all seemed so sad to Willow.

Elizabeth was one of her closest friends. Buffy, as the girl liked to be called, had joined the Wild Rose family three years before, when she was sixteen. Her parents had been killed by bandits and she had had nothing except for her pretty face. Luckily for her, Giles took her on before she was forced into one of the worse saloons. One thing widely known throughout the territories was that Giles was one of the best to work for. He took care of his girls, giving them plenty of money and freedom. Buffy had been seeing the deputy for the past few months. Willow felt sorry for the pretty girl, knowing that Riley Finn would never be able to just take her away from this life. The Finns were well known throughout these parts. Maude Finn would pitch a fit if she knew her eldest son was bedding one of the local doves, as they were known in town. So, Riley snuck in weekly to see Buffy, giving the girl some of the brief joy her otherwise dismal life held. Not that Buffy wasn't happy. She loved her life at the Wild Rose, thinking of the close group as family she had lost. Willow had become a little sister, a girl she wanted to protect from seeing what life was truly like.

Anya was a different story, Willow thought smiling as she sat back in the old wooden chair. Anya was being courted by Alexander Harris, a local rancher that worked with his pa outside of town. Every time Xander, as he was known as to avoid confusing him with his father Alexander, came to visit Anya, he proposed marriage. Anya had been at the Rose for a little more than two years, having come from a small town in the Texas territory. She wanted wealth, something that Xander did not have. He was a likable guy, one of the most caring Willow had met, but his ranch was small. He made enough for himself and a family, but not enough to put Anya in what she dreamed of. So, he proposed constantly and Anya declined. Willow thought it rather sad that Xander couldn't have been in love with Buffy, the girl that wanted marriage with all her being. But, Willow had seen plenty of evidence over the years to know that that was how love went. It was never easy or nice. She hoped she never had to fall in love. She'd be content staying at the Rose, loving the family she had there.

Willow looked at the photo of her father and smiled. The other girl that she was most friendly with was Faith, a blue blood spitfire from Boston. The girl that loved her job and her boss. Willow knew that Giles often bedded the young girl, knowing that they made each other happy. Faith was one of those people you just had to like. She had come into the Rose fourteen months before telling Willow that she needed a job. She had gone on to say that she enjoyed the pleasure of men and thought that the perfect job for her, getting paid for doing something she loved. Willow had seen her father smile slightly at the girl's statement and had sat back and watched them bicker and fall in love over the last year. Willow didn't think it very odd that her father was in love with someone her age. Most of the brides in town were fourteen, their husbands working on their second or third marriages. Willow knew that she herself was a spinster. She was a girl of nineteen with no prospects for marriage. She couldn't imagine marrying someone she didn't love just to birth children. The entire idea horrified her. In that way, she was lucky that her father had sheltered her from that part of life. She could lose herself in the books she sent for from Kansas City and enjoy the love of her friends. She glanced at the clock, noticing that it was past eleven. The bank would be open now.

Willow gathered the deposits, walking through the saloon towards the door closest to the bank. She smiled at Graham who was already awake and playing with the piano. He was a handsome man that had been working for Giles for ten years, since he was ten and his father had been hanged for murder. He had started off sweeping and now tended bar. But his love was the huge piano that Giles had ordered from England. He had taught himself to play, gaining pointers from various talents that came to Harrington to play for the Rose. Willow thought of him as the big brother she had never had. Willow opened the door of the Wild Rose and stepped onto the wooden porch.

*****

Willow walked into the afternoon sunshine, the scent of horse manure and sweat overwhelming her. She hated summers. The sun would heat the manure and the city would have a terrible stench for months. Of course, it was even worse when the cowboys rode the herds into town to the train. The aroma of cow manure merged with horse manure plus the stench of men that had not bathed for days. During those times, she rarely left the Rose. She went into the bank, smiling at Mr Murphy the banker as he took her money. She left the bank, hearing her name being hissed from behind her.

She turned and looked up, smiling as she saw Cordelia Chase walking towards her. "Miss Chase."

"Miss Rosen" Cordelia said loftily, "Lovely hat you have on today. Looks like one my gardener lost."

"I'll be sure to ask him if this is it" Willow said, walking beside the beautiful girl as they headed to the Rose.

"Willow" Cordelia said softly, looking around to make sure no one was looking at her. "I've managed to get away for the entire afternoon. Mother thinks I'm taking riding lessons."

"Why don't you come inside and help me ready the rooms? We have a family coming in this evening" Willow suggested, keeping her eyes ahead so no one in town would see them talking. Cordelia was her dearest friend, Willow having met the girl in school when she was five. But, the Chases thought that saloon keepers were dirty immoral people and refused to allow Cordelia to be friends with Willow after they had turned thirteen. That was when Mr Chase had received an inheritance from his aunt in New York. Cordelia detested the wealth they suddenly had and hated even more losing the only friend she had. So, she snuck around to see Willow always.

"A family? I wonder if they will have an attractive son that is longing for a tomboy redhead?" Cordelia said, smiling as she followed Willow into the Rose. She froze when she saw Graham, her face flushing as the handsome man looked up and smiled. She grabbed Willow's hand and rushed into the hotel, not able to even speak to him. "Oh Willow, he's so handsome."

"And that is why you look at him as if he is a leper?" Willow asked, laughing.

"He's too...Oh, I don't know." Cordelia said, "About this family. Where are they from?"

"Europe. I believe Giles said the man he spoke to sounded Irish or English. They are staying for two weeks at least" Willow said.

"Two weeks in Harrington? Why on Earth would they want to do something silly like that?" Cordelia asked, following Willow up the stairs to a room.

"I don't know. I believe the man told Giles that he and his siblings were touring America and wanted three rooms next to each other for two weeks with an option for more" Willow said, smiling.

"He has siblings? Maybe a handsome brother. Two men for you, Willow" Cordelia said, laughing as Willow made a face. Her friend was so pretty yet she ignored her beauty, losing herself in her books and the Rose.

"No men for me" Willow said, making the bed with Cordelia's help. She wondered what Mrs Chase would say if she could see her daughter making rooms up like a maid. Willow had to laugh, "I'm glad your mother never comes into town anymore."

"Yes, didn't you know? Harrington is full of heatherns and immoral souls that are already lost" Cordelia said, reciting what she had heard endlessly for years.

"Lost souls?" Willow said, thinking about it. "Probably. But at least we're happy."

"So right" Cordelia said, filling the water basin. "With our luck, this family will have tons of little brats that scream constantly with a lecherous father and addle minded mother."

Willow laughed, "I doubt they'd stay at the Rose if they have children. They know the saloon is right next door."

"Unless they are crazy" Cordelia said, "You never know. They are from Europe and wanting to actually stay here for two weeks."

"They may be" Willow agreed.

"Do they have a name?" Cordelia asked, curiosity in her eyes. It was rare that they had visitors from as far away as Europe.

"Devlin." Willow said, "The reservation was made for an Angelus Devlin and family."

*****

"Can't you smell it?"

William turned from his window and looked at his sire. "What? The stench of livestock?"

Angelus laughed, "The blood my dear boy. The blood."

William snorted and looked back out the window. "We could be in Paris. Even Rome. But, nooo....instead we're in this horrible carriage riding through nothing going nowhere. How can you be so excited?"

"There is so much life" Drusilla said, smiling happily at her father. "It sings to me."

"That's good darlin'" Angelus said, patting his daughter's hand. "William, think of this as an open buffet. You've heard the stories of the terrible American west. The horrible monsters that kill on the streets. Just think, we shall be civilized compared to the barbarians."

"Smelly damn lot" William said, not having enjoyed his taste of American cuisine.

Angelus sighed, catching his favorite childe's eyes, "We can hunt without worry of capture. My research has shown that these towns have so many people riding in and out that they won't miss a few here and there. Besides, it may be fun. Women, wine and song."

William scowled, knowing the true reason he detested this journey. Drusilla had asked to come. She claimed the stars told her their future lay in these desolate lands. He resented that they had dropped their lives in London to journey for months on a boat just because the daft twit had a vision. It had only been twenty five years since their sire had created her and William already wished they had left her at the convent to die. He hated her damn dolls and her damn place in his sire's heart. He had been Angelus favorite for over twenty years before she had been claimed. He knew he was still the favorite, but he hated sharing. "I'm sure there will be plenty to eat if what we've seen so far is any indication."

Angelus smiled at William's reluctant agreement. He knew well enough to know that would be the best he would get that evening. His eldest childe was jealous. Any fool could see that. Angelus chuckled softly, leaning over and kissing William swiftly. The surprised man smiled slightly before turning back to look out the window. "So, my princess, what do the stars tell you tonight?"

Drusilla smiled as she moved to sit in between her father and brother. "They say we are going to find our future. A pretty rose that shall light our way."

Angelus nodded, having learned in the past few decades not to question his daughter's visions. They rarely made sense but often came to pass. For that reason, he had uprooted them from their flat in London and brought them half the way across the world. He had never had a desire to see America before, but now, after being here, he couldn't believe how easy it was to feed. So many people around. He had already told both of his children not to feed on anyone from the towns. He didn't want any suspicion to fall on them. So, they were to dine on the numerous cowboys and men riding through the various towns. It was, as he had told William, an open buffet. "Well, my loves, I suppose we shall keep our eyes open so that we don't miss this future."

William rolled his eyes at his sire's lazy Irish drawl. He said, "I do hope this hotel listened when you requested thick drapes. I'd rather not awake to almost being burned to a crisp again."

Angelus laughed, "William my boy. You need to lighten up. We're having an adventure. Enjoy it."

"Enjoy it?" William grumbled, "Where are we staying tonight?"

"A town called Harrington. Drusilla said it was the place" Angelus said, smoothing his hand through his daughter's hair as she looked at the open sky. "A respected hotel I heard about in New Orleans. The Wild Rose or something like that."

"What is it with roses?" William asked, settling back for the uncomfortable ride to Harrington. "How long are we staying in this one?"

"A couple of weeks, I suppose" Angelus said. "We refrain from dining on the locals, as always. I have heard that it is quite a busy town though so there should be a plethora of opportunity."

"I can hardly wait" William said, making a face at Angelus as his handsome sire smiled. He turned and stared back out the window, hoping that this town would at least be entertaining.

*****

Willow listened to the music playing from the saloon next door. She looked up at her father as he came into the hotel lobby. "Evening, Father."

"Willow. You look nice this evening" Giles said, his eyes taking in the white shirt that she was wearing, the long sleeves rolled up. She had coupled it with a boy's pair of britches, the worn brown fabric hanging loosely from her thin frame.

"I borrowed the shirt from Graham" Willow said, "It's less confining than some of mine. Wears better in this heat."

"As long as that is all you're borrowing from Graham" Giles said, looking at her as she turned slightly pink. He laughed as she tossed a rolled up paper at him.

"Dad!" Willow said, glaring at him. "I am not in the least interested in Graham Miller. Now, don't you be asking Cordy that though. You might get yourself a different answer."

Giles nodded thoughtfully, "Cordelia is in love with Graham? That explains her sudden excitement for riding lessons or whatever excuse she tells those boarish parents of hers."

"She doesn't love him, Giles" Willow said, "She hardly knows him. But she is interested in him. He is a very handsome man after all. Smells clean compared to those other ruffians."

"And need I ask why you were close enough to Graham to be smelling him, young lady?" Giles asked, looking at the registry.

"Father, there isn't a cloud of stench around him. That's good enough for me" Willow said, sitting on the stool behind the counter. "Did you need something?"

Giles shook his head, ruffling her hair and knocking her hat off. "Nope. Do I need an excuse to pay my favorite daughter a little visit?"

"I'm your only daughter" she reminded him, her long red hair falling past her shoulders.

"That you are, because why have another when the first is so perfect?" Giles said, smiling fondly at her.

"What do you need?" Willow asked, causing him to laugh.

"Actually, nothing. Things were quite at the Rose so I thought I'd come pester you a bit" he said, counting the occupants. "We have five rooms out?"

"Yes. A salesman from St. Louis. A couple from St Jo. And those gamblers from San Fran. I expect the girls will be inviting some fellows up to their rooms later, but so far things are pretty quiet." Willow said.

"It is a Tuesday" Giles reminded. "That Irish fellow? Has he arrived yet?"

"No, sir" Willow said. "But Cordy and I got the rooms ready this afternoon. All three have heavy drapes covering the windows. The rooms are right dark without the sun coming in, I must say."

"Hmmm" Giles glanced at the clock and saw that it was already three in the morning. "They may have been detained. Seems a bit late for a family to be arriving. Keep the rooms just in case. I think I'm heading on upstairs, sweet. If you need anything, just give me a ring."

"Night Father" Willow said, kissing his cheek. "I'll be sure to be quiet. I don't want to bother you or Faith."

"Impudent brat" Giles said, laughing at her throwing Faith's name into it. "Get some sleep tonight. I didn't hear you go to your room until after four yesterday and you were up at dawn."

"Yes, Father" she said, her tone letting him know she would go to sleep when she was ready and not a moment before. "Sleep well."

Willow read a bit more of her book after he had gone upstairs. She finally decided that the Devlins must not be arriving so she could go ahead and close up the lobby. She bent down and picked her hat up, pushing her long red hair underneath it to get it out of her way. She heard the door open and the soft bell ringing announcing someone's entry. "I'll be right with you."

William looked at the boy who had called out a greeting and frowned. He glanced at Angelus but saw his sire looking at the hotel. It was a beautiful structure, he had to admit. The saloon next door was still open, loud music and shouting evident to his ears though it wasn't very loud considering. It was a nice place that smelled of roses despite the odor from outside. "Boy, we've been traveling all day. Can you hurry please?"

William watched the boy straighten and turn, laughing green eyes making him freeze. His pulse, had he had one, would have stopped at the sight of her face. She was bloody breathtaking, he realized. He heard Angelus hiss softly and knew his sire was also staring at the bewitching redhead dressed in boy's clothes. Drusilla was looking at a painting on the wall, a small smile on her face as she watched her Daddy and William falling under the girl's unknowing spell. She smiled as she let them play.

"Sorry about that" Willow said, trying to keep her mouth closed. She had never seen two such handsome men in her life. The taller one was broad with hair the color of midnight and dark eyes that were like liquid fire. The other one, the one who had spoken, was a tad shorter but just as handsome. He had light brown hair and icey blue eyes. He had sounded a lot like her father when he had spoken so she decided he must be English. The girl, their sister she assumed, was beautiful too with long brown hair that fell past her shoulders and curious brown eyes that held amusement and warmth. "You must be the Devlins. Welcome to the Wild Rose. My name's Willow, if you need anything during your stay. Now, let's get you folks checked in and settled before dawn, all righty?"

*****

"Willow? Such a lovely name" Angelus said, intrigued by the young girl dressed as a boy.

Willow looked at the dark man and felt caught by his intense stare. "Thank you."

"Angelus Devlin" he said, offering his hand.

"Mr Devlin" Willow said, smiling slightly. "Welcome to Harrington. I trust your journey was pleasant?"

"Not as pleasant as arriving" the lighter man said, stepping forward. "I'm William Devlin. An extreme pleasure."

Willow felt her cheeks flushing under his gaze. She wasn't used to men looking at her like that. Never in fact. Yet, here were two of the most handsome men to ever step foot in Harrington and they were looking at her like she was beautiful. They had either had a very long drive or they were crazy, she decided. She wasn't going to let their attention get to her. She wasn't one of those girls that had men like the Devlins want them. Their clothes were expensive and they seemed very upper class. "It's a pleasure Mr William. I'm afraid there isn't anyone to carry your bags up. I can get someone from next door I'm sure. Graham shouldn't have a problem carrying them up. Would you kindly sign the book? I'll get your keys for you and then find Graham."

"No need. We have very few bags. I'm sure we can manage easily enough. No need to bother anyone." Angelus watched her nod in approval before she turned and walked to the cubby hole that housed the keys. He looked at William and saw the younger man watching the girl intently. "True beauty is so rare."

William looked at his sire, arching a brow and smiling slightly, "when you're lucky enough to find it, hold on tight and don't ever let go" he finished one of his sire's favorite quotes. It was what Angelus had answered when he had once asked why he had been chosen to become a childe.

"Still wish you were in London?" Angelus asked lazily.

"Must I answer that?" William asked drolly.

Before Angelus could respond, there was a slight crash in the doorway between the saloon and the lobby. Willow turned around, placing the keys on the desk. "Sorry about this" she said softly, offering them an apologetic smile as she moved from behind the counter.

"Will? What happened to your hair? Did you cut it all off?" the man asked, his words slurring slightly.

"Xander, I'm wearing a hat. See?" she took it off, tossing her long red hair behind her back. She missed the narrowing of William and Angelus' eyes as they saw her hand go to Xander's shoulder.

"Pretty red" Drusilla said, her attention caught by the girl's long red hair.

"Oh, a hat" Xander said, smiling off handedly before his face fell. "She turned me down again, Will. Tore my heart out and stepped on it."

Willow sighed softly, "I'm sorry, Xan. She does love you, if that helps." She felt Xander's arm go around her shoulders as he struggled to stand. Smelling him, she realized he must have been drinking for hours. "Poor Xander."

"Why won't she marry me, Willow?" Xander asked, looking at the young girl he had befriended the past few years.

"I don't know, Xander. Don't give up though. You may wear her down yet" Willow said softly, "Come on. Let's get you a room."

"Nah...can't afford it" Xander said, trying to stand without holding her.

"Let me finish with the new guests and I'll get you to your usual room" Willow said, moving to help him sit down as she ignored his lack of money.

He looked at her, tears in his dark brown eyes. "She wouldn't even go upstairs with me tonight. She pushed me away, Will. I love her so much."

"It's ok Xander" Willow said, "she loves you too. Now why don't you wait for me to finish this?"

"Ok" Xander said, sitting in the chair and waiting for her.

"Sorry" Willow said softly, moving back to finish with the Devlins.

"What's his deal?" William asked, not trusting the lanky cowboy.

"He's in love with one of the doves...the girls that work next door" Willow said. "He's been proposing to her forever and she always turns him down."

"Poor bastard" Angelus said softly. His eyes narrowed on the youth as he realized he was going to be taken upstairs to his room by Willow. "I'll help him to his room while you finish with our reservations."

Willow shook her head, "I couldn't ask you to do that, Mr. Devlin. I help him at least once a month. It really isn't any trouble."

"I'll take him to his room" Angelus said, smiling a charming smile. He brushed his fingers against her cheek, watching the blood rush to her cheeks. "Don't worry, love. You fix William and Drusilla up. I'll take care of the cowboy."

"His name is Xander" Willow said softly, not used to having men touch her, well at all. "He's harmless, I promise. Here's the key to his room. It's downstairs, room 4. I tend to keep it open for emergencies and such."

Angelus let his fingers trace the curve of her jaw before he took the key. "Thank you, darlin'." He glanced at William and winked before turning to Xander. "Come on, cowboy. Let's get you settled."

"Thank you so much Mr Devlin" Willow said, smiling her gratitude as the large man helped Xander to the spare room.

"Think nothing of it" he said, smiling at her before he followed her pointed path into the lower floor of rooms.

"Your brother is very kind" Willow said, smiling at William.

"A bloody saint" William said, his lips quirking slightly.

"I'll get the rest of this paperwork finished so you and your sister can get upstairs. I'm sure you are exhausted" Willow said softly, still unnerved by the intense way he looked at her.

"Don't fret, pet" he said slowly, "my family tends to sleep during the day. We're night people, you might say."

"Oh, that's good" Willow smiled, her eyes darting to Drusilla who was watching her with an unreadable expression on her pretty face. She watched the woman move towards William and lean against him. "You'll fit in here perfectly. Rarely is there any activity at all before noon."

"Pretty" Drusilla said, reaching out and letting her fingers drift through Willow's red hair. "I'm Drusilla."

"Hello" Willow said, wondering if she was ever going to get them signed in and upstairs. "I'm Willow."

"Willow-mine, do you like dollies?" Drusilla asked.

"She's tired from the journey" William said, easily ending Dru's nutty ramble for the time being. Trust Angelus to leave him with her. "Maybe I should try to get her upstairs and settled."

"Of course" Willow said, breathing a sigh of relief. There was something about the Devlins that knocked her off balance. She wasn't used to that, having a habit of always being in control. "Here are the keys. We can settle the account at the end of your stay. I put the drapes up this afternoon. I hope they are as you requested. If not, please let me know and we can change them."

"This should cover our stay" William said, placing a stack of bills in front of her. He saw her eyes widen and smiled softly. "Angelus likes to have his accounts taken care of from the beginning. I'm sure the drapes are fine, my pretty. Tell my brother I've taken Drusilla upstairs, please. I shall see you tomorrow, pet."

Willow watched them walk up the stairs, her eyes watching the muscles move beneath his waist coat. She closed her eyes and sighed softly. And here she and Cordelia had just been saying things in Harrington were boring. Somehow she knew that had just changed. She finished putting away the books and told Angelus his family had gone upstairs when he returned. She felt her eyes stray over his form as he walked up the stairs, carrying his bag easily. She finished her work and decided that it was time to go to sleep. It had been a rather eventful evening.

*****

Willow lay on her bed, her eyes staring at her ceiling. She couldn't sleep. Every time she close her eyes, they opened again of their own accord. She had heard movement from down the hall, knowing immediately that it was the Devlins. Doors had opened and closed and then there had been whispering. She had finally heard things quiet down, but sleep was still elusive. She sighed, finally sitting up and turning the small lamp on. The light was soon bathed in a soft glow as she swung her feet from under the covers.

She walked towards the window, the white material of her gown entwining around her knees. Her night dress was the only feminine thing she really owned. It was beautiful, in her opinion. The softest white silk that fell past her knees and gently hugged the curves of her body. In the pale light, it was transparent, showing the shadow between her breasts and the darkness between her thighs. She could even make out the rosy pink of her nipples. In this nightgown, she felt like a woman. Not a silly child but a true woman. She had received the gown from Cordelia for Christmas one year before. Her best friend had sent off for it through a mail order catalog, sending all the way to Paris. When Willow had seen it, she had fallen in love. It was the prettiest thing she owned by far. Not really have much to compete with since the remainder of her wardrobe was men's britches and long sleeved shirts. Giles didn't believe in frilly women's wear.

Willow stood at the window, moving the drape to the side. She moved her armchair closer to the glass, curling into her favorite resting spot. She tucked her bare feet underneath her, resting her chin on the window sill. She loved watching the town. Giles had allowed her to chose her own room, not surprised when she had selected one of the five third floor rooms. There was a small balcony attached to her room, but she preferred staying indoors and looking out. Even at night, the air was usually stale and bad smelling. But, during the early fall or late spring she would sometimes sleep on the verandah, just looking at the stars overhead. No one could see her as she sat on the balcony unless she peered over so she was usually guaranteed peace. But, during the summer, her door outside was rarely opened. Giles, himself, was not very fond of heights so his room was nestled in the back of the second story.

The hotel was separate from the saloon, but there was a connecting door on the second level between the girls' rooms and the hotel. Willow knew this enabled Giles to check on the girls without going all the way around. He cared about each of them and liked being close in case of trouble. There had only been one time that a client had dared get out of hand, striking Maggie several times. It had been when Willow was eight and she had heard the screaming. There had been two gun shots and then silence. Willow had watched with pride as Giles put his revolver aside and had the dead man thrown into the street. He had then sent for the doctor who had stitched Maggie up good as new. After that, word got around that you didn't mess with the girls of the Wild Rose. It was one of many times that Willow felt proud to be the Englishman's daughter.

Willow's eyes followed the various men that were leaving the Rose. She smiled as she recognized some, knowing they had probably lost money to the gamblers from San Fran that were staying at the hotel. These men never learned not to play for money against the gamblers, always claiming he would be the one to win. They never did, usually losing their wages for a week. She would see them around town later, their sullen expressions testifying exactly what their wives thought of the behavior. Often, it would be a few more weeks before they dare venture into the Rose again, only to repeat the same cycle. She couldn't understand why men never learned from their mistakes. She had watched for nineteen years as people continued following the same path, never veering from it. And what disgusted her the most was that these men were the ones that were running the town. And Giles wondered why she never fell in love, she thought in disgust.

She sat up straighter as she watched Buffy leave the porch. The girl was obviously crying, her shoulders hunched over as she walked towards the river. Willow looked at the men and noticed Riley. She sighed, knowing he had again done or said something that had hurt her friend. She chastised herself for her ill will towards the deputy but honestly wished he'd fall off his horse. Buffy was one of the sweetest people she had ever met and she hated seeing her in pain. Willow was smart enough to know that being a dove would always stand in the way of the girl and her heart's desire as long as Riley listened to his mother's wishes. But, if things had been different, Buffy would never have become what she was. Willow hated it because people didn't seem to understand that there really were few choices for a pretty girl of sixteen. Buffy could have married a man thrice her age or become what she had. Willow would have made the same choice herself in the similar circumstances. She watched the girl disappear as she turned to head towards the river. Willow watched as Riley shifted around, his eyes following the pretty blonde as he fidgeted with his horse. She could almost see his decision as he mounted his horse and took off in the direction she had gone. Willow knew he would again apologize and they would be ok until the next time Maude got between them again.

Willow had checked on Xander before she had gone upstairs. She had smiled as she saw that he had been put to bed, his boots beside the chair. He had even had the blanket around him. She knew that had to have been Angelus' doing. Xander was very warm natured and would rarely accept the blanket when she took him to the room. Angelus Devlin was a nice man, she had concluded. A very handsome, nice man, her inner thoughts had reminded her. She had been glad to see that Xander had been able to fall asleep. He needed his rest before riding back to his ranch in the morning. Willow watched until the men all left, riding away towards their wives or camps. The lights below her faded as the Wild Rose closed for the morning.

She stood, shutting her drapes back. It would be dawn soon. She could see the pale pink tinge the sky in the East already. And she had not slept a wink. It was all the Devlins thoughts. They had surprised her. She still believed she had imagined the looks in William and Angelus' eyes. Men did not look at her like that. They never had. She was just smitten by their looks, wanting to believe that they thought her attractive. She glanced down at herself, grimacing. Her breasts were small and she was so thin. Her hips were not wide, which meant she would not be good at birthing babies. She knew she was strong but appeared so frail. That was a trait she had inherited from her mother, along with the red hair that fell past the middle of her back and freckles that lightly covered her pale skin. No man would ever want her for a wife. She was too old as it was. Why was she entertaining thoughts of the Devlins when she knew she was not what they would want? Besides, they were both so attractive she knew she would not be able to choose one or the other. She shuddered at the thought of being forced to. No, she would be content as she was. She would give them any assistance they needed while they were in Harrington and keep the memory of their faces for her dreams. She slid under the covers, knowing she must get at least an hour of sleep. She had a long day ahead of her, having promised to help the girls with their laundry. She turned the lamp out as her head fell to the soft pillow. She pushed the images of handsome Devlins out of her mind as she tried to fall asleep.

*****

"I envy you Willow" Buffy said, sighing.

Willow looked up from her tub and frowned, "Why?"

"Because, you get wear men's clothes. They are so much easier to clean than these dresses" Buffy said, smiling at the redhead.

Willow laughed, "Would you like some help?"

"Don't listen to her Willow" Anya said, looking up from the skirt she was washing. "She's just tired from her evening activities and feeling lazy."

Faith snorted, "That's an understatement. What time did you get in, Miss Summers?"

Buffy's face turned red as she turned back to her petticoats, "None of your business, nosy one."

"It was after five" Anya said, laughing at the blonde's flushed face.

"How is the river, Hon?" Faith asked, laughing as Buffy tossed a handful of soap bubbles at her.

"The river is lovely, thank you" Buffy responded, haughtily.

"Is everything OK?" Willow asked softly, causing her friend to smile warmly.

"For now" Buffy said, smiling as she remembered the morning by the river with Riley. "He's leaving for Abilene this afternoon. He is escorting a prisoner to Marshal Hickok."

"I must tell him to give Jimmy my regards" Anya said, smiling at the memory of the last time the Marshal had been in Harrington. "How long will he be gone?"

"A few days." Buffy said, her expression growing wistful. "He plans to spend a day in town with Hickok before coming home."

"He'll be fine" Willow said, knowing her friend worried about Riley anytime he left Harrington while on official business.

"So, Red, did the Devlins arrive last night after all? I thought I heard some noises" Faith said, her eyes narrowing as the red head's face suddenly turned the color of her hair.

"Willow! What haven't you told us?" Buffy demanded, seeing the blushing redhead.

"Spill it, Willow" Anya begged, "Are they handsome?"

Willow smiled, "There are three of them. Angelus appears to be the eldest. The others I noticed looking towards him for guidance. He is tall, taller than Graham. His eyes are a dark brown that seem to look right into your soul. He also has dark hair that looked almost black. It was tied up but appeared to maybe fall to his shoulders."

Anya sighed, "He sounds heavenly."

"And the others?" Buffy asked, forgetting her washing as she imagined the handsome man Willow's words had painted.

"There is a sister, Drusilla. She's one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen" Willow said honestly. "Dark brown hair that fell past her shoulders. Dark eyes again. She was sweet, speaking about dolls and such. I fear she may be a bit slow."

"Ah" Faith said, smiling slightly. "The daft sister that the handsome brother must take care of. A burden, I'm sure."

"No" Willow said, remembering her time with them. "They seem to care for her, almost humoring her in a way. She seems quite smart too. Just a bit slow."

"And the other?" Anya asked, "There are three, right?"

"William" Willow said softly. She was unaware of the small smile that followed his name, but the other girls caught it and exchange knowing glances. "He is very handsome too. His hair is shorter than Angelus, falling just above his collar. It is light brown and curls slightly at the ends. His eyes are amazing. They are the most beautiful shade of blue I've ever seen. They changed color rapidly during our conversation, going from the softest of blues to the darkest in moments. He is not as tall as his brother, but his build is still nice. He is quick to smile and there is much humor in his eyes. His smile...I can't describe it. It promises all sorts of things one shouldn't think of but offers comfort in the same twitch of his lips."

"Not impressed with him, were you?" Faith said, laughing softly.

"Yes, I was" Willow protested, blushing more when she saw the humor in the girl's eyes. "Oh, Faith! I could strangle you."

"Daddy might get upset" Anya warned, slightly surprised that someone had finally affected the redhead.

"You three" Willow said, standing. "I have to go help Graham. I promised to go with him to the store. I trust you can stay out of trouble."

"Never" Buffy said, "Could you fetch me some soap from the store? Mabel told me that my order came in from Kansas City the other day but I haven't had the chance to get it."

"Of course" Willow said, glad that they seem to have forgotten the Devlins. "I'll be back soon and I promise to help you finish the wash."

"They are our clothes, Willow" Faith said, "You get. Don't want to keep Graham waiting. He is the most impatient man...."

"Bye" Willow called out, running into the saloon to find Graham.

"Well, well, well" Faith said, once the girl was out of earshot. She raised an eyebrow and winked at the others, "Looks like Willow has finally realized she's a woman."

"I must admit, I'm dying to see the man that affected her so" Buffy confessed with a smile.

"I'm not sure which one affected her the most" Anya said, wriggling her eyebrows. "Angelus or William."

"I'd say she was impressed with both, but did you see the look in her eyes as she spoke of William? I cannot wait to meet the man." Faith said, sighing.

"Our little girl is finally growing up" Buffy said, smiling softly.

"It's about time" Anya said, snorting. "Began to wonder if she was just destined to be a spinster."

"Not our Willow!" Buffy said, "She's the one that can have a fine future. She's just choosy."

"Picky" Faith corrected, smiling. "But there are worse things to be. Maybe William Devlin is what she was unknowingly waiting for."

"Could be" Anya agreed, going back to her laundry as the girls began to discuss the men they had had the night before, the redhead in the backs of their minds as they all decided to make it a mission to meet William Devlin to make sure he was good enough for their Willow.

*****

Willow put the keys away after the couple from St. Jo left. She smiled at Faith as the girl leaned against the counter. "You look beautiful."

Faith smiled at the redhead before glancing down at her dress. She let her fingers play with the fabric as she looked back up. "Thank you. Your father bought me this dress."

"All he ever buys me are men's trousers." Willow said, sighing as she sat on the stool. "But it is a pretty dress."

"He tries to protect you" Faith said gently. "The world is such a terrible place these days. We're lucky to live here."

"I know" Willow smiled, "I love the Rose."

"So" Faith asked casually, "see the Devlins yet today?"

"No" Willow said, "Is that why you found the need to visit with me tonight?"

"Willow, why ever would you think that?" Faith asked, winking at the redhead.

"You're impossible" Willow said, glancing up as she heard footsteps on the stairs. Her face flushed when she saw William gracefully descend the staircase.

"Morning, beautiful" William said, his eyes immediately finding Willow. He noticed another girl standing there, but she paled beside his red head.

"Mr Devlin" Willow said, hearing Faith's murmer of approval. No man had ever called her beautiful before. It was must be a common greeting in England, she decided. "Did you sleep well?"

"Heavenly" he said, moving towards her. He had spent half the morning trying to understand why he was so drawn to her. He had seen women that were far prettier. Yet, he had been able to imagine her face in explicit detail after barely seeing her. He was certain she must be some enchantress that had put him under a spell. If so, he wasn't honestly certain he wanted it to end. He found himself again captivated by her eyes as he drew closer. "I do hope we did not keep you awake?"

"Um...no" Willow said, losing herself in his gaze. "How did you know that I was in the other room?"

William smiled, his eyes twinkling as he flirted with her, "I could smell you, luv. Powder and roses plus a hint of lilac."

Faith openly sighed, mesmerized by his voice as he spoke to Willow. He was so handsome and charming. She was glad that he hadn't turned out to be rude or obnoxious. In fact, she thought it delightful that he was flirting with Willow. The pretty girl never had men look at her with interest. "Willow, I'd better go find your father."

"Oh, my. I've been rude" Willow said, flushing slightly as she broke the spell between her and William and looked at Faith. "Faith, this is William Devlin. Mr Devlin, this is Faith."

"A pleasure" William said, glancing at the pretty brunette before turning back to look at Willow.

"I've heard some nice things about you Mr Devlin" Faith said, winking at Willow. "It's nice to meet you. Now, if you will excuse me, I must go find Rupert."

"Is she a friend?" William asked, wanting to find out every detail of Willow's life.

"Yes" Willow said, turning to face him. She began to tell him about Faith and how the girl had ended up at the Rose. He laughed as he leaned against the counter, his attention completely staying on her as he asked questions and made comments. She quit blushing and stammering as they continued to talk, her fears of her attraction to him forgotten as she became more comfortable. She could have spoken to him for minutes or hours, the time seemed to pass so easily.

William felt his sire before he saw him. He looked up, a lazy smile crossing his face as he saw the irritation cross Angelus' dark eyes as he realized who Willam had been speaking to so intently. His sire was jealous, he realized with a smile. "Angelus. Did you sleep well?"

"William." Angelus greeted, glancing warmly at the redhead that seemed so comfortable with his childe. "Willow. You look fetching this evening."

"I do not" Willow said, smiling at him, "But I appreciate the compliment. Did you sleep well?"

"Yes, dear brother, how did you sleep?" William asked, smirking at his sire. He knew Angelus had slept well, having spent the day with the elder vampire. But, he knew that Angelus would not want Willow to discover that fact. Not yet at least.

"Fantastic" Angelus said, glaring slightly at his impudent childe. He turned his attention back to Willow and smiled. "I hope my little brother hasn't been a bother. He does get bored so easily."

"Not at all" Willow said, almost giggling at the glare William shot him when he had stressed the little brother. "I am actually enjoying the company. I tend to find myself alone most evenings unless we have reservations. The majority of folks come in during the afternoon. It is too dangerous to be out riding at night in these parts."

"Well, as long as he isn't bothersome" Angelus said, smiling. "How is your friend today? That Xander chap?"

Willow sighed, "He was feeling foolish this morning. Wished for me to apologize to you and your family for his display. He will move past it, only to repeat the same incident next week."

"Poor sap" William said, his eyes moving between Willow and his sire. He wasn't sure which one he would most like to look at, the redhead finally winning because she was new to him.

"I do appreciate your kindness last night" Willow said, smiling at them both. "He sets himself up for heartache. It was nice to have someone help me with him."

"Think nothing of it" Angelus said smoothly. "As long as we are here, feel free to ask for assistance at any time."

"I couldn't do that, Mr Devlin. You are a guest here" Willow said, looking at him in surprise.

"Angelus. Mr Devlin was me Da who has been dead many a year now" Angelus said, smiling at her.

"And call me William, lass. It tis my name, after all" William said, glancing at Angelus. He knew they needed to feed but he was reluctant to leave the bewitching redhead for fear that she may disappear and be proven to be a figment of his imagination.

"Willow, have you eaten yet?" Angelus asked, seeing the look of approval enter his childe's eyes. They were both intoxicated by this girl, though he could not explain why. There was just something about her that made him want to hold her and not let go.

"No Mr Angelus" Willow said, frowning at him.

"Good. You can accompany us then" William said, watching the objections form in her eyes. "Ah, ah, luv. You said should we need you, to simply call. We need a beautiful companion to impress this evening with our wit and charm. And if you say no, I'm destine to eat with just my brother's ugly mug across from me. You wouldn't make me suffer like that would you?"

Willow had to laugh at his sullen expression. She chewed her bottom lip, wondering what it could hurt. They were both very attractive but she knew they had no interest in her. She was definitely not in their playing field. Besides, she was hungry.

"Please say yes, Willow" Angelus said, his eyes looking at her face as she thought. Her emotions were so clearly written in her eyes. She wanted to but wasn't sure if she should. He smiled as he saw the acceptance enter their green depths.

"Ok. But only because you both asked so nicely" Willow agreed. "And because I do not want you to go home and tell people how rude we are in Harrington."

"You could never be rude, pet" William said, smiling at her.

"Would you like to go to the Rose or somewhere else?" Willow asked, moving from behind the counter. "I must admit, I might not be welcome somewhere else. They tend to frown upon my state of dress other places."

"The Rose is fine" Angelus said, not wanting her to be uncomfortable. He had no interest in truly eating, wanting instead to enjoy her company for a bit longer before he and William went to feed. Drusilla was staying in, claiming that she was not hungry. He also wanted to get to know this girl more.

Willow smiled as they both extended their arms. She moved between them, sliding her arms in between theirs. Together, they walked towards the saloon, Angelus asking her questions as William merely smiled at her.

***** Faith smiled as she watched the others girls. "He was breathtaking. Such a handsome man I've never seen."

Buffy sighed, "And he was flirting with our Willow?"

"He barely even glanced at me" Faith said seriously. "He only had eyes for Willow."

"How charming" Anya said, smiling. "Finally someone sees her beauty. And he's wealthy too."

"What are you ladies discussing so seriously over here?" Graham asked, setting drinks in front of them all.

"Willow's being courted" Buffy said, smiling. "The Englishman that is staying at the hotel with his family."

"Courted?" Graham said, frowning. "Didn't he just arrive early this morning? A bit early to be courting."

"Oh, pooh" Anya said, "It might have been love at first sight. He was so intoxicated by her beauty, the length of time they've known each other paled in comparison."

"You've been reading those books again" Faith said, laughing at Anya.

"Willow reads them to me" Anya said, defensively. She was trying to learn to read, but it was taking her awhile to catch on. Most of the time, Willow ended up reading to the girls from the romance novels she ordered from Kansas City.

"I'd better get back to the bar" Graham said, smiling at them. "You girls be good."

"Of course" Faith said, smiling as they continued gossiping about William Devlin and his intentions towards Willow.

"Do you think he knows she isn't..." Buffy struggled to find the words.

"One of us?" Anya asked bluntly.

"He'd have to" Faith said, not having considered that Mr. Devlin was just having fun with Willow. "If he tried anything, I swear I'll cut his..."

"We know" Buffy said, stopping Faith's tirade before it started. She knew how loud the girl could get if her ire was raised. Faith was now consumed with negative thoughts about William Devlin. "I'm sure he'd have to know she is an innocent. That she doesn't play those sorts of games."

"If he doesn't, I'll be sure to let him know" Faith said, glaring at a cowboy that approached her. "Go away. I'm not working."

"Sorry" he said, ambling towards one of the other girls.

"We can let him know" Anya said, not wanting Willow hurt if he did turn out not to have honorable intentions.

"Girls, he has not even been here a day and you are already planning either a wedding or a lynching." Buffy said, laughing.

"Like you wouldn't be there with us" Faith said, smiling at the blonde.

"I never said that. If he hurts our Willow, I'll hold him down as you cut." Buffy said.

"So" Anya started, "he has blue eyes? Is his smile like Willow described?"

"She didn't do him justice. He is handsome and has the most wicked gleam in his eyes" Faith said, sitting back and describing William Devlin in vivid detail as the other girls murmured their approval.

*****

Angelus stood in the doorway leading to the Wild Rose saloon. His eyes swept over the room, surprised at its side. A bar lined the left wall. He saw two men tending to it, filling drinks at a rapid rate. A small stage extended from the side, tables surrounding it. He glanced up and saw several balcony areas set up with private tables overlooking the stage and floor area. He glanced around and counted more than three dozen tables. Most of them filled. The Wild Rose was definitely a prosperous saloon. He looked at Willow and saw the pride on her face. He smiled, "It's lively."

Willow laughed softly, "Isn't it? Father rarely lets me over here. He worries about my virtue, I fear."

"Well, he won't have to tonight." William said, smiling at her. "We're here to protect you."

"Shall we my dear?" Angelus asked, raising an eyebrow at her and smiling.

"Lead the way, Mr Angelus" Willow said, entering the Rose on both the handsome men's arms. She kept her head high as she noticed some of the people looking at her. "You can choose any table."

Angelus saw the people looking at them and was surprised that none of the looks were speculative or disgusted. Most were either happy or caring. Willow was well loved, he knew instantly. He glanced at William and saw the same look of recognition on his childe's face. They would have to tread lightly and slowly with her. She had a lot of people that loved her. "Would it be improper to suggest one of the tables up there? I'd like to talk to you, and somehow I fear that down here I wouldn't be able to hear anything."

Willow laughed, "It wouldn't be improper. I'm not quite the type that hints at impropriety. Besides, with the dozens of chaperones that are here I don't foresee a problem."

"Luv, you are truly beautiful" William said. "Now, why don't we take a seat?"

Willow smiled at him, knowing he was just trying to make her feel better. "There is an empty table above the stage there. I can let Graham know we are here so he can send one of the girls up to take our order."

"Graham?" Angleus asked, his smile not betraying his hatred for this man whose name she spoke so fondly. What was happening to him?

"The bartender. He's practically my older brother" Willow said, smiling at the jealous tone in his voice. He was jealous of Graham? "I'll run over and tell him while you two take a seat."

"Now, pet" William said, "Why don't we all go tell Graham and get a drink now? Then we can go up and sit down. How would that be?"

She rolled her eyes, not used to have such overprotective men around. It was almost as if they feared her leaving them would mean she wouldn't return. She nodded, sighing, "That would be fine. He's right there."

The three of them moved to the bar, Willow noticing Buffy, Anya and Faith seated at the table closest to the stairs and out of the way. It appeared they were not working yet. She smiled at Graham as she told him she wanted water. Angelus and William were introduced to him as she looked back at the girls. "Excuse me gentlemen. I see some folks I must greet."

Before they could protest, Willow had moved through the crowd and was hugging Faith. Angelus and William got their drinks, completely aware that Graham was sizing them up. He nodded as they took their drinks and they assumed they had passed his test. Whatever it had been. William reached for Willow's glass of water and found Angelus already reaching for it. He heard his sire growl softly and let him take it. He moved towards Willow, his drink in his hand. "Pet, big brother has your water."

"William" Willow smiled at him, "Angelus, thank you" she took her glass from him. She turned back to her friends and saw their mouths open as they looked at William and Angelus. "Girls, meet William Devlin and Angelus Devlin."

"Charmed" Angelus said, nodding and smiling at the girls. He took Willow's elbow and smiled, "Love, are you hungry? I told Graham that we should be ready in a few moments."

"It's a pleasure" William said. "Which is which? I've heard about a Buffy and an Anya. Faith I've met."

"I'm Buffy" she said, smiling at the handsome man. She would have sighed had she not been in company. Both of them were so handsome and they were both completely enamored with Willow. This was definitely a twist in their idea of William courting Willow.

"That means you must be Anya" William said, smiling at her pleasantly. "The one that is tearing poor Xander's heart to pieces?"

Anya's smile faltered slightly. "Oh yes. That would be me."

"He seems like a good chap" Angelus said, glancing at her. "But, that's your business. Willow, are you ready?"

"Oh, sure" Willow said, smiling at her friends. "I'll speak to you girls later."

"It was nice meeting you all" William said, taking Willow's hand before Angelus could. He gloated at his sire as he led the girl up the stairs towards the table. Angelus took her elbow and followed.

Faith watched them going up the stairs and sitting down. Willow in the middle as both the handsome men began speaking to her, their eyes watching her attentively. She glanced at Buffy and Anya, seeing that they were watching the same sight. She smiled and said, "Why do I have a feeling that this is more complicated than Willow could ever guess?"

*****

The music was loud and Willow could hear the laughter underneath their balcony. But, to her, the rest of the saloon did not exist. Her entire world was focused on the small table she was sitting at with Angelus and William. They had been eating for more than two hours. The food had picked upon as they had spent the majority of the time in conversation. She laughed softly as William asked yet another question. She took a drink of her water, looking at him, "If I didn't know better, I'd swear you were trying to write a book about me, Mr Devlin."

"Aye, and what a wonderful read it would be" he said smoothly, taking a drink of his whiskey. He could feel his demon starting to murmer and knew he needed to feed, but he hated to let this evening end. It had been wonderful, simply sitting with his sire and the beautiful girl. She was so curious, asking as many questions as they. And, truthfully, they had been honest with her. A few details had been ignored of course. He knew she was pretty open to most things, her close friendships with the prostitutes evidence of that, but he knew for certain that she would not be easily accepting of their vampire status. "I could never tire of reading about you, my love."

Willow laughed, "I'm afraid that would be not only a short novel, but a rather dull one at that."

"Willow."

Willow looked up, a smile crossing her face, "Father. Have you met the Devlins?"

Giles smiled at her, "I don't believe so. Hello."

"Mr Giles" Angelus stood, holding out his hand and shaking it solidly. "Angelus Devlin."

"William Devlin, sir" William said, standing and shaking the older man's hand. "Would you like to sit?"

Giles studied them both and shook his head. "No, but thank you. I was just curious to meet the men that were monopolizing my daughter this evening. I heard a variety of things about you both from the girls, and just had to see for myself what the fuss was about."

Willow laughed, "Don't listen to anything the girls say. You should know better, Father."

"I didn't say I believed them" he said, smiling at the pretty redhead. He did see what Faith had said was true. Both of these handsome men were infatuated with his daughter. He honestly had not imagined that there was any way that Faith was speaking the truth. For some reason, men tended to ignore Willow, regardless of her beauty, intelligence and wit. He knew he was guilty of trying to keep her away from most of the element that frequented the saloon, but he had never really had to fight any suitors off. Now, there were two wealthy, handsome brothers that both seemed to want her attention. She was dressed the same as she always was, so that wouldn't be the reason for the sudden attention. He smiled as he realized that maybe they were just more intelligent than the men in this country. It would be rather entertaining to watch their courting of Willow and see which brother would win. And to see how Willow handled the wooing. She was a complete novice around suitors, never having had one before.

"Giles?" she asked softly, smiling as she saw him come out of his thoughts.

"Sorry honey" Giles said, "I was lost in my thoughts. Did you enjoy your meal?"

"Very much." Angelus said, "Though I'm afraid William and I were much to enthralled with your daughter to finish."

"Oh please" Willow said, blushing under his dark gaze. "You both barely ate because you were too busy asking and answering questions."

"Aw, but pet, who was asking all the questions?" William asked, smiling at her.

"I shall send someone over to clear the table" Giles said, smoothly interupting their antics with a smile. "I'm going on upstairs. I shall see you in the morning. Try to get some sleep tonight."

Willow laughed as she leaned up and kissed his cheek. "Night Father. I promise to aim for at least three hours sleep tonight."

"Ah, to be young again" Giles said, kissing her forehead. "Sleep well. It was nice meeting you gentlemen. Take care of her."

"I rather like your Da" William said, looking at the older man with respect as he went back down the stairs.

Willow laughed, "I love him." She looked at the remains of the food, noticing that William and Angelus really hadn't eaten very much. It mostly looked like they had pushed their food around on their plates instead of eating. She did know they had spent a lot of time speaking to her, but they hadn't eaten anything. She knew they had not been down from their rooms at all during the day, this being their first and only meal. How could two men their age not eat?

"This has been a wonderful evening" Angelus said softly, not wanting it to end but knowing he and William had to feed.

Willow smiled, "Yes, it has. Even though I feel slightly guilty about not working for the past few hours."

"You are entitled to a dinner break" Angelus said, smiling at her.

"And what better way to take a break than with us?" William added, winking at her.

Willow laughed, shaking her head. "It was definitely entertaining. But, I need to go back to the hotel just in case we have someone try to check in."

"Ah, work." William said, smiling. He looked at Angelus and smiled, knowing they would be able to slip away to feed now. "We shall walk you back to the hotel of course."

"No need" Willow said, laughing again. "It's just through the doorway. You both should go explore Harrington. There are several interesting gaming halls and saloons."

"None as much as interesting as this one" Angelus said, his eyes on her face. "You aren't there."

Willow stood, causing them to both stand also. She smiled, "If you continue with the compliments, I fear I may become arrogant."

"You couldn't become arrogant if you intended to" William said, taking her hand and leading her down the stairs. "But I do believe that nothing else in town would be as fascinating as you."

"What am I going to do with you two?" she asked, laughing as she waved at Faith. Anya and Buffy were gone, probably working she figured.

"I'm sure we could come up with some suggestions" William said, winking at her and causing her to blush.

"You two go play. I need to work" Willow said, moving towards the counter. "Stay out of trouble."

"Always, love" Angelus said, "We shall see you when we return?"

"I'm sure I will be here" Willow said, moving to sit on the stool as she opened the ledger. "Have fun."

"I'm sure we will" William said, resisting the urge to kiss her. It was much too soon, yet her lips seemed to beg him to touch them once before leaving. He contented himself with brushin three of them against his lips and then brushing them against hers. Her eyes widened slightly at the gesture as her heart began to race. He smiled, "Be careful, luv."

Willow watched as Angelus leaned over and brushed his lips across her cheek, a smile on his face, "We'll see you soon, love."

She watched them leave, not understanding how a simple brush of lips could change the lighthearted friendliness into something much more charged with electricity. She brushed her fingers over her lips, the feel of William's cool fingers still on her mind as her cheek still still held the traces of Angelus' brief kiss. She sighed softly, wondering how she was supposed to sleep that night.

*****

Willow was looking through the ledger, adding the numbers for the days business. Angelus and William had left her with the soft kisses not an hour before. She admitted to being curious as to where they had gone, but she was sure it was another saloon. That was pretty much all there was to do in Harrington. In a way, she was glad that they had left. There was something in the way they looked at her that made her feel almost uncomfortable. She wasn't used to men looking at her that way. Like she was attractive. It bothered her that with one simple look they could make her intelligence flee, leaving her a babbling mess. She really liked them both. They were both intelligent, witty, handsome and charming. She was feeling so confused about her growing feelings for them both. She had just met them not even twenty four hours before but she felt as if she had known them forever.

Willow finished putting the numbers in the book and shut it, placing it on the shelf under the counter. She got a rag and wiped the counters down, not in the least bit tired but not having anything to do. She really needed to find a hobby of some sort. She decided to just read some more of her book.. Maybe she would get it finished soon. She sat back on her stool after getting the book, opening it back to the place she had stopped reading the night before. She had read a couple of pages when she heard footsteps on the stairs. She glanced up, surprised when she saw Drusilla Devlin.

"Miss Devlin" Willow said, smiling up at the pretty woman. "I thought you were feeling unwell?"

"I got bored" the woman said softly, looking at the pretty redhead. "Are you bored too?"

Willow thought about it and nodded, "Yes, actually I am."

"Would you like to be bored with me, lovey?" Dru asked, moving to the counter and smiling at the pretty girl. She knew her Daddy liked the redhead. So did William. She was glad. She liked them better when they were happy.

Willow closed her book, "That sounds like fun. What would you like to do?"

Drusilla smiled, taking the girl's hand. "We can go to my room. I shall introduce you to Miss Edith."

"Miss Edith?" Willow asked, remembering the woman asking her if she liked dollies. "Oh, is she your doll?"

Dru clapped, "Yes, my sweet. You remembered. I like you, Willow mine. I think we shall keep you."

Willow laughed softly, taking the woman's hand again. She noticed it was cool to touch, similar to William and Angelus'. Maybe English people were cold blooded, Willow decided. Giles wasn't, but he had lived in America for twenty five years. Maybe his nature had changed. "Keep me? Where would you keep me, Miss Devlin?"

"My name is Drusilla, but you may call me Dru" the brunette said, "I've always wanted a sister or a mum. I think you shall be a lovely sister."

"That sounds lovely" Willow said, following the brunette up the stairs to her room so that she could meet Miss Edith. "I've always wanted a sister myself."

"Oh, this shall be such fun" Dru said, thankful that her Daddy had listened to her and brought them to the Rose. She already loved Willow, glad that her family had found the redhead. She was pretty and smart and she liked dollies. "Will you tell me a story?"

Willow was reminded of a child when Drusilla spoke. The beautiful woman was definitely slow, Willow understood even more after speaking to her. But, there was intelligence in her dark eyes. She was just childlike, maybe not slow. Either way, Willow was glad that she was used to dealing with children. She would use that attitude around Drusilla Devlin. "Of course. I know a lot of stories. What would you like to hear about, Drusilla?"

"Oh, something lovely with a beautiful redhaired princess and two handsome princes. I so love happy endings" Dru said, missing the faint blush that crossed Willow's cheeks at her demand for the story. "Do you know of one like that?"

Willow laughed softly, somehow not surprised by Drusilla's innocent request. She nodded, "I think I can think of something good. After I meet Miss Edith, of course."

"Oh, Miss Edith" Dru smiled at the reminder, "She's going to love you, lovey. Just as I do."

Willow followed the woman into her room, adding Drusilla to the list of interesting people she had met in her life. And again, there was something about the woman that drew her near. The Devlins all had that aura about them. Something that just drew her into their family as if she belonged. She sat on the floor, smiling as the regal woman sat on the floor and brought her dolls out, introducing her to each one and telling her all about them. Willow leaned back against the bed, deciding that this was more fun than reading. Who needed sleep anyway? She laughed as Dru told her stories about how she had come to own each doll, making her realize that Angelus was a fatherlike figure in Dru's eyes. She could see that. He did seem to be eldest, keeping an eye on the younger siblings. His love for Dru was just another positive aspect to his personality. Willow covered a yawn as they continued to chat into the early morning hours. She barely even noticed when she drifted off to sleep or when Drusilla easily lifted her and placed her on the bed, pulling the covers over the sleeping girl and laying beside her, her head resting on the redhead's stomach as Dru let Willow's even breathing lure her to sleep.

*****

Angelus let the man fall to the dirt outside the general store. He glanced over at William and saw that his childe had also finished eating. He placed his fingers against the man's neck, making sure that there was a pulse. Content that he had not killed the oversized cowboy, he straightened his cuffs and joined William. "Have you finished?"

William nodded, "I didn't kill him Daddy. His blood was rather intoxicating."

Angelus smiled, "Rich and thick. Rather filling compared to some of that back home."

"Shall we take Drusilla something back?" William asked, leaning against the wall of the general store.

"She said she wasn't hungry" Angelus said. "You know she rarely feeds anymore."

William laughed, "I know. Don't know how she can resist. The hint of fear in their blood..the richness as it flows down your throat...one of the great perks of our status."

"You know she never has enjoyed the hunt" Angelus said, glancing at the sky. "I myself have gone months without feeding. Sometimes it is necessary, though I enjoy it as you do. Are we ready to go back to the Rose?"

"Back to our Rose" William said, smiling softly as he thought of Willow.

"Ah, yes. Sweet Willow" Angelus said, his lips curling into a smile. "You want her, I want her. Seems we have a bit of a problem."

"A problem?" William said, frowning. "She's yours, sire. That's how it goes."

Angelus laughed, the husky sound a surprise to William. "That's not how it goes. Since when have I become an evil bastard?"

"You aren't." William said, wondering what his sire was talking about. "What do you mean that's how it goes?"

"This isn't a contest, my boy" Angelus said, moving from his position against the wall. "Let's talk as we head back."

"Yes sire" William said, wondering what the darker vampire meant about this not being a contest.

"I find myself intrigued by Willow. I honestly think I could come to care for her. You also feel this way, am I right?" Angelus asked, his dark eyes watching the people they passed on the walk back to the Rose.

"I do care for her" William confessed. "There is just something about her that touches me. I know it's rather silly. She is a human, and an innocent at that. But, I think I could love her. Her beauty and her intelligence are stimulating."

"So, instead of fighting each other for her, I believe we should share" Angelus said, watching with amusement as William froze on the wooden sidewalk.

"Share? Willow isn't that type of girl" William said, a bit angry that Angelus would suggest such an arrangement.

"I would never suggest it if I didn't think it possible" Angelus said, holding his hand up to stop William's angry words. "I'm not saying she has loose morals. I believe that Willow loves with passion and her entire soul. She has a large heart, big enough for both of us along with her friends at the Rose. It might take some wooing, but I believe she could be the other half to us both."

William smiled softly, "She does have a large heart, I admit. But, I wouldn't want to impose on her. I would never wish to offend her."

Angelus laughed, "You're already under her spell. Poor William."

"Poor me?" William scoffed, "Poor you. Who growled upon seeing me talking to her this evening?"

"Just hush" Angelus said, scowling. He had hoped William would not notice that. He sighed, running a hand through his hair. "I love you William. I think Willow could make us both happy....become a part of our family. But, I don't want to fight you for her. I honestly believe she could love us both, if we choose to pursue it."

"A part of the family" William said quietly. "Fine. I won't make this into a contest. I don't want her hurt. But, if I begin to think she will not be able to handle sharing us...becoming a part of the family, I won't hesitate to fight you for her. I could love her so easily."

"Agreed" Angelus said, having just a slight doubt that she would resist them both. He had looked into her eyes and seen into her soul. She would love them both, of that he was pretty confident. "Now, shall we shake on it?"

William reluctantly grinned, holding out his hand. "If she had any idea that we were discussing her future this way, I believe she might skin us."

Angelus laughed, letting his fingers linger on William's, "That's one of her better qualities, I must say. Aw, I see the Rose at last."

William removed his hand from his sire's, smiling as he looked at the hotel. "Should we check on Drusilla?"

Angelus smiled slightly, "No. She's probably asleep or playing with those dreadful dolls. I think we should sneak in and retire early, if Willow is not around, that is."

"What a wonderful plan" William said, winking at his sire as he strolled up the wooden stairs towards the door to the Rose.

*****

Willow watched Drusilla put her feet in the water and jump back, her giggle filling the quiet night air. The redhead looked at Angelus and William who were lounging on the cloth covered ground, their amused eyes watching their sister. The Devlins had been in Harrington for a little more than a week. Willow hated to think that they were going to leave in less than a week. They had become a rather familiar part of her life. Everyone at the Rose had already noticed the redhead's new routine. She would spend every morning and afternoon as she always had, helping the girls and working at the hotel. By dusk, the Devlins would be down stairs, spending the early part of the evening with her at the hotel, helping her perform any tasks needed. They would then escort her to dinner at their table in the saloon. After a few hours of conversation and food, they handsome men would wander into the streets of Harrington, exploring various areas. Willow would chat with her friends and her father before heading upstairs to spend the remainder of the evening with Drusilla and the beautiful woman's dolls. Willow had fallen asleep in the girl's room most nights lately, waking after a few hours of sleeping and starting her days over. Every day was not the exact same, but it had become comfortable to her. She hated to think it was almost over.

This evening they had decided to go out for an evening picnic. Drusilla had happily accepted her brothers' invitation to join them and Willow. She loved the river, dancing onto the shallow banks as she laughed. Willow enjoyed watching her as she spoke to William and Angelus. She smiled as Angelus passed her another breaded treat. "Thank you."

"Drusilla is enjoying the water. Would you care to join her?" Angelus asked, smiling at the pretty redhead.

"Do you have any idea what is in that water?" Willow asked, laughing. "I wouldn't step foot into it. In fact, she didn't listen to me. I did try to warn her that it was probably disease infested and such."

"Drusilla wouldn't let that keep her from having fun" William said, laughing.

"Hey guys. Having fun?" a soft voice asked from above them.

Willow looked up and smiled at Faith and her father. "Hello. What brings you two out tonight?"

"Mr Giles. Faith" William greeted, smiling.

"Please, take a seat" Angelus offered, standing.

"You don't have to give up your place" Faith said, still not used to being around gentlemen. Giles was the only exception. "I like to stand. Trust me. I'm on my back enough."

"Faith" Giles admonished, rolling his eyes as the others laughed. He looked up and saw the Devlins' sister splashing in the river. "Angelus, you might want to get her out of that water. It isn't the safest."

"It's rather disgusting water" Faith agreed, "The cows have to cross it to get to the train depot. Who knows what is crawling in it."

"Most of the town don't seem to mind" William commented lazily.

"Most of the town don't think about things like that" Faith said, smiling at Willow. "We have Willow who is sure to point out such things as dirty water and what it might give us."

"Just to scare you" Willow said, smiling as she laughed. "It probably isn't that bad. But, I would't drink it."

"Can I have one?" Faith asked, picking up one of the crusty confections that William had had made. She took a bite, moaning softly. "This is great."

"Yes, you can have one" William said, laughing at the brunette's fortrightness.

"Are you sure you won't sit down?" Willow asked.

"No thank you. We just got a bit sick of the noise and thought we'd take a walk" Giles said, taking Faith's hand. "We should go."

"Be careful" Willow called after them. She turned towards Angelus and William, smiling as Drusilla came back and sat down on the blanket. "Having fun?"

"Much fun" Drusilla said, laying her head on Willow's stomach in a position she was coming to love. Nothing soothed her more than feeling Willow's soft breathing. "The stars sing such a lovely song."

Willow smiled, laying back, her fingers brushing through Drusilla's hair. She had lost count of the times in the past week she had woken up with the woman's head on her stomach. There was something almost reassuring about it now. She doubted that Angelus and William even knew she was sharing Drusilla's bed, but she didn't think it was important. There were many nights that Cordelia had stayed over, the two of them giggling into the night as they slept in her bed. Drusilla seemed to like the company as did she. But, she had decided that she had better start spending the nights in her own bed again. Didn't want to grow spoiled to having company. "I can hear them."

"You can what?" William asked, exchanging a look with Angelus before looking back at Willow. They loved spending time with her every night, but she was always asleep by the time they returned. Drusilla had refused to go feed with them, claiming she wasn't hungry. So, it had been him and Angelus each night. So far they hadn't killed anyone, though some of the people they had met deserved death.

"I can hear the stars sing" Willow said, smiling at the confused looking men. They had no idea that she and Drusilla had spent a few evenings on her balcony, with the brunette teaching Willow how to hear the stars. "Lay back, you unbelievers you."

"Why are we doing this?" William asked, rolling his eyes at his sire before he moved on the blanket and laid down.

"Because, she has wrapped around her finger" Angelus muttered for his childe's ears. He heard Drusilla giggle and knew his daughter had also heard him. It wasn't exactly a secret. He honestly thought everyone at the Rose knew of his and William's growing feelings for the redheaded enchantress. He laid down beside William, looking up. "I don't hear anything."

"Hush Angelus" Willow scolded, sighing. "Open your mind and watch them. Just be quiet and listen. They try singing, we just don't ever take the time to listen."

Angelus and William both did as she said, simply watching the sky as they listened to her even breathing. As they watched the stars twinkle, Angelus frowned. He could hear something. It wasn't possible. He was either going crazy or Willow had put him under a spell of some sort. He smiled slightly as he heard a pleasant tune in his ears.

"No way" William said, laughing slightly. "Do you hear them?"

Angelus just laughed, "I think so. This is remarkable."

"And you didn't believe" Willow said, smacking his shoulder. "Teach you to doubt your sister."

"Never again" William said, sitting up and looking at Willow. "I won't doubt either of you again."

"Good. Isn't it about time for you boys to go find trouble?" Willow asked, sitting up and covering a yawn.

"Is that a subtle hint?" Angelus asked, sitting up and arching his eyebrow.

"Was it subtle? I didn't mean it to be" Willow laughed, sitting and making Drusilla sit also. "Sorry, but I'm finally feeling tired. I want nothing more than to sleep for a few hours."

"I would like to come with you, Angelus" Drusilla said, looking at Angelus and William.

"Of course" Angelus said, smiling at his daughter. She hadn't fed in over a week. She rarely fed more than that, but he knew she was feeling tired. Feeding would give her the strength she was losing. "We shall escort Willow back to the Rose and then William and I shall show you some of the town."

"I can make it back. You go along" Willow said, smiling.

"We'll escort you back and help you clean up this mess" William said, giving her the look she knew not to argue with.

Over the past week she had grown used to all of their looks and habits. She knew she was falling in love with them, a fact that surprised her. To find love with not one but two men. She knew she should be shocked by her behaviour, but she wasn't. They were both so different yet in ways they were similar. She couldn't choose just one. It didn't really matter anyway. They were both leaving in less than a week anyway. But, she had decided to enjoy it while she could. After all, when she was an unwed spinster her memories of them would be all she had. "Yes, Mr Devlin."

William just looked at her and laughed. He and Angelus began helping her clean up the picnic, Drusilla humming the tune the stars had sang. He couldn't believe Willow had gotten them to hear the stars after over twenty years of thinking Drusilla was crazy. Willow was something special. She never ceased to surprise him. He had decided a few nights before that that was one of many reasons he had fallen in love with her.

*****

Willow watched William, Angelus and Drusilla leave the hotel lobby, the beautiful girl between her brothers as they drifted into the streets of Harrington. She smiled, turning back to check the desk. Things were pretty quite the past week. Most of the guests had checked out, though they had constant stream of gamblers stopping in on their way West. They usually stayed a few days, often winning their lodging money from the saloon. She looked up when the door opened, surprised to see Cordelia. "Hi stranger."

"Don't even say anything" Cordelia said, grimacing as she sat down. She looked at Willow and said, "Do you think I'd get a lot of jail time if I killed my parents?"

Willow laughed, moving to sit down. "Talk to me. It's been a little more than a week since you were here last. I was getting worried."

"My mother decided it would be a good time to go to Kansas City to buy new cloths for the fall." Cordelia said, sighing. "I've been on a rickety train with her the entire way there and back. I thought I might honestly kill her. Willow, how am I supposed to put up with them? They're driving my crazy."

"I don't know" Willow said, smiling. She had heard this whining for more than two years. "If you'd like an alibi, I could always lie and say you were with me when they were killed."

"You are not helping" Cordelia said, glaring at her best friend. "You're supposed to be smart. I'm nineteen years old. They constantly try to marry me off to every eligible man they know, they're that eager to get rid of me. But, they won't let me live my life."

"Hey Red" Graham greeted as he came into the lobby. He saw Cordelia stop talking and look at him, her pretty blushing slightly. He smiled at her, "Cordelia. What are you girls up to?"

"Hey Graham. Just talking. Delia just got in from Kansas City."

"Did you have fun?" Graham asked, looking at the wealthy girl.

"Yes" Cordelia squeaked, standing. She felt her face flushing as she looked at Willow, glaring slightly at the girl for not getting rid of Graham. Willow had to know she liked the handsome bartender. "I'd better get home before Mother sends someone to collect me. Willow, you and I shall talk tomorrow."

"Be careful Cordelia." Willow said, smiling slightly. "Wait. Graham, did you need anything?"

Graham shook his head, "No. I was just taking a break and thought I'd see if you were back yet. Didn't know if the bodyguards would be around or not."

"Oh, hush" Willow said, laughing slightly. "Would you mind walking Cordelia home? I don't like the idea of her being out alone this late at night."

"Willow!" Cordelia said, her eyes wide. "I can make it myself."

"Did you walk here?" Willow asked.

"I um borrowed my father's horse" Cordelia said, glaring at Willow. The redhead knew she lived on the other side of town, near the others homes. She wasn't silly enough to walk at night through that part of Harrington.

"See? You'd have to ride alone. Graham can ride back with you. For me, Delia?" Willow asked, doing her best to beg. "Either that or spend the night here."

"I can't, though I wish I could. Mother would have kittens" Cordelia sighed. "Fine. But, he has to ride behind me. I couldn't let my parents believe he was an escort. I'd never hear the end of it."

Graham snorted, "I doubt they'd be too worried. But, I'll be sure to ride ten paces behind you Princess."

Cordelia glared at Willow, "I owe you" she hissed, standing back up after brushing a kiss against Willow's cheek. "I'll be by tomorrow."

"Take care" Willow called out, laughing as they left. Graham making sure to stay behind Cordelia, looking at Willow and winking before rolling his eyes. Willow finished with the paperwork she had yet to finish before she decided it was time to go upstairs to sleep. She changed into her nightgown, this being the first night in a week that she was not going to fall asleep in her clothing. She laid down, her mind thinking about the Devlins and the changes their presence had brought into her life. She finally closed her eyes, determined to sleep. It took a little while, visions of Angelus and William flittering through her mind as she struggled to sleep. Finally, she drifted off into slumber, a small smile on her face.

***** Drusilla looked at her sire and smiled, "Thank you Father. He was tasty."

"Glad you enjoyed it honey" Angelus said, smiling. "I was beginning to wonder if you planned to feed."

Drusilla shrugged, "Not hungry. Why eat?"

Angelus just smiled, shaking his head slightly. He would never quite understand her. "This is a lovely town."

"Despite the odor" William said, making a face. "I hate to leave."

Drusilla stood, walking away from the fallen tree she had been sitting on. "I don't want to discuss that right now. I think I would like to go back to my room."

"You really must like that room" William said, laughing softly. "You've hardly been out of it in the past nine days."

Drusilla just smiled, "I haven't felt the need to leave it. Everything I could want is there, waiting for me. How late will you both be?"

Angelus frowned slightly, "Not really sure. Figured we'd go get a drink and maybe play some cards. Why?"

Drusilla just smiled, "I smell rain in the air. Don't want you all wet."

"As if you could smell rain underneath all this stench" William said, laughing. "Wish us luck, pet. We'll buy you something pretty if we win."

Dru laughed, "You'll win. Buy something for Willow also. She never gets gifts except on her birthday and Christmas. She told me so."

"Ah, that isn't right" Angelus said, "We may have to remedy that situation."

"Good night Father" Drusilla said, kissing his cheek. She kissed William's forehead, "Night brother."

"See you tomorrow, little sister" William said, watching her walk back to the hotel. He sighed, looking at Angelus. "She cares about Willow. To have hardly seen her, Dru sure knows alot about Red."

"I noticed that myself" Angelus commented, standing and stretching. He looked up at the sky, a soft smile crossing his face, "The stars are singing again."

"Not you now too" William said, laughing as he stood. "I can't believe we have less than a week."

"I'd rather not think about it" Angelus said, echoing Drusilla's words. Unfortunately, it was all that seemed to occupy his mind as he tried to sleep anymore. The knowledge that they would be leaving Willow and the Rose in such a short time. He wanted nothing more than to stay, but he honestly knew it wasn't fair to Willow. He and William were vampires. She was a human. How could she ever come to love them? She'd never be able to look at them without having fear in those pretty eyes if she knew the truth. It was better if they simply left when it was time, leaving her to marry and have children. At the thought of her wedding another man, his demon raced forward. He closed his eyes, pushing it back away. She deserved to be happy. "Let's go win some money, my boy."

William nodded, his own mind coming from a place similar to Angelus'. He didn't want to leave Willow, but he couldn't confess what he was to her. She'd either kill him or send him away. Either thing would be horrible, knowing that she hated him. He'd rather leave her with her growing love still in her eyes rather than see them fill with hate. "We can win enough to buy Drusilla and Willow something tomorrow."

Angelus smiled his agreement as he lazily began to walk towards the Westerly where he and William often spent the early hours of morning after feeding each day. It wasn't as popular as the Rose, mostly because it did not have women available. It was purely a bar and gambling hall, the only women allowed if they were accompanying a man. It was the perfect place to unwind, have a drink and win a bit of money after a good feed.

*****************

Drusilla walked into the lobby of the Wild Rose and noticed that it was empty. She could hear the noise coming from the saloon and smiled as she heard off key singing. She moved towards the saloon, curious to take a peak. She had laid on Willow's balcony, watching the stars and hearing the singing before. Willow had told her that it was rather a ritual at the saloon when there wasn't an entertainer available and it was one of the regular's birthdays. Someone would begin singing and whomever happened to be around would join in. It had become a special treat among several of the cowboys, having the Wild Rose sing to them on their birthdays. Drusilla looked into the saloon, a smile crossing her face. There were many men nursing drinks and she saw several of Willow's friends hanging on some of the men. They were all smiling and laughing as the drunken song continued. She saw a rather large, older man that was seated on a chair on the stage. A pretty black haired girl was seated on his lap, singing along with the others. Drusilla recognized her as Maria. Willow had pointed her out from the balcony a few days earlier.

The beautiful vampire walked back into the hotel lobby and headed up the stairs. She continued up to the third floor, a soft smile on her face. She knew her sire and her brother were in love with Willow, just as the pretty redhead was in love with them. She loved Willow also, the girl becoming the sister she had always wanted. She didn't want to leave Harrington. She knew Angelus and William thought it best for Willow if they simply leave. She just couldn't understand how it would be better for the girl to lose the men she loved. Their thinking was confusing her. So, Drusilla had come to a decision. She opened the door to her room, the smile fading to a frown as she saw the empty bed. Her dark eyes searched the room for the familiar burst of red but she didn't see it. She closed her eyes, listening. She turned, moving to Willow's room. The girl's heart beat was evident, a slow even breathing that signaled the girl was sleeping.

Drusilla opened the door, a small frown crossing her face as she realized that the girl was still not locking her door as she slept. Safety had never been an issue to the innocent redhead, but Drusilla knew from experience that evil existed in so many different facets. She shut the door, her eyes widening even more as she realized that there wasn't even a lock at all. She sighed, wondering how someone so smart could be so silly. She looked at the redhead, smiling as she saw that she was in a deep sleep. Drusilla moved onto the bed, crawling half way up, her long skirts twisting around her legs as she laid her head on Willow's stomach, her long hair coming free from its bindings and spreading out. She felt a calmness overtake her as she listened to Willow breathe. Yes, Drusilla smiled. She had come to a decision. Angelus and William might be stupid enough to leave Harrington and Willow, but she wasn't. She planned on telling them when it was time to go that she was staying. She smiled softly, snuggling closer to the warm girl. She wasn't planning on leaving Willow, ever.

*****

"You have to leave?"

Riley finished pulling his boot on, careful not to look at Buffy's accusing face. "I told you that I was having breakfast with my family."

Buffy closed her eyes, turning away from his rigid back. "You just got back. I thought you'd be spending the night."

"Buffy, I took a chance even coming here tonight. If my mother found out..." Riley made a face, running a hand through his light brown hair.

Buffy laughed dryly, "Ah, yes. Mother. Whatever would we do if she found out her golden son was slumming it with a common whore."

Riley glanced at her and saw that she had turned, the sheet riding low on her back. He saw the small mole on her lower back and resisted the urge to kiss it. He knew she was mad. He just didn't understand her at times. He loved spending time with her but lately she had grown so moody. He sighed, moving to the bed and running his fingers over her back. He saw her stiffen and said, "You aren't common, Buffy. Never think that."

"So, I'm a whore?" she said, turning to face him, the sheet falling from her breasts. "Just, get out."

"I never said that" he defended, wondering why she was so angry. He had risked his parent's wrath by coming to see her in the first place. She should be happy that he was there, not angry.

"Riley, please, just go" she said tightly, about to cry and not wanting him to see her weakness. She loved him so badly, and he didn't seem to care at all. But, why should he? She was just a whore, like he said.

He nodded, letting his hand fall from her face. He reached into his back pocket, tossing the money on her dresser as he walked out. "Sleep well."

Buffy watched the door close, her eyes going to the bills he had placed on the dresser. She let the tears flow as she fell back, pulling the sheet to her chin.

***************

"This is nice" Faith said, laughing as she snuggled closer to Giles. Her fingers drew circles on his bare chest as he chuckled.

"Much better than listening to them sing" Giles agreed. He and Faith had snuck out of the saloon during Roger's birthday song.

"Much, much better" she said, brushing her mouth over his cheek.

He turned and caught her mouth with his, his hands pulling her tight against him. He had to agree. This was much better.

**************

Anya shut the door after John left. She put the money he had left in the jar in her dresser drawer. It was getting close to being filled again. She put it back in place and shut the drawer. Standing, she walked to the pitcher of water she always kept in her room. She let her robe fall as she reached for a cloth. She wet the rag, running it between her legs and over her body as she cleaned the traces of John and her other clients off of her. She grimaced as she threw the rag into the basket beside her dresser, walking to the bed. She crawled up it, her knees going up to her chest as she wrapped her arms around them. Xander had not been in in over a week. She missed him. She hated missing him, but she did. His goofy grin, caring eyes, gentle touch. She closed her eyes as she tried to forget him. It wouldn't do her any good to like him. He wasn't what she needed. Even if he was what she wanted. A tear slid down her cheek as she tried to forget her night at work.

*****************

Graham sat on his bed, kicking his boots off. He had followed Cordelia Chase home, not leaving until he saw her safely inside. It was merely because Willow had asked him to. He loved Willow. She was the little sister he had never had. Over the past years, he had grown very close to her. He could still remember how hurt she had been when she had come home crying that day she had heard Mrs Chase tell Cordelia that she was no longer allowed to play with that riff raff Rosen girl. He had held her, telling her a story until Cordelia had run in, tears on her own face. He could still remember watching with a bit of envy as the two girls had held each other, their friendship so evident. They loved each other. And over the past years, he was pleasantly surprised to see that Cordelia still risked her parent's anger by sneaking out to see Willow. He had to admire the pretty brunette for that. Pretty? What was he thinking? She was just a child. She was Willow's best friend, for pete's sake. He couldn't find her attractive. Groaning, he fell back on the bed and cursed himself for his impure thoughts. It wasn't like the Princess would ever look at him anyway. She was too rich for his blood. He closed his eyes, deciding that he must be more tired than he thought.

*******************

Cordelia sat up on her bed, the soft light of her lamp casting the room into shadows. She couldn't sleep. She was really beginning to hate her life. She hadn't been happy at home for years. Not since her parents had inherited all the money. Everything had changed at that time. She had been asked to give up her entire life just because her parents wanted to be something they weren't. She was only happy when she was with Willow, at the Rose. There, she could be herself without worrying about what they'd say. She had never really been friendly with the others that worked there, but mostly because she rarely saw them. The few times she was lucky enough to get away from home, it was early. She saw Willow and Giles and sometimes Graham. That was about it. Thinking of Graham, her face flushed. She had had a crush on the handsome boy since he had first started working at the Rose, back when he was only ten. For four years, she had been able to linger around the hotel openly, simply watching him. Then, he had started working in the saloon when he was thirteen. Her glimpses of him had gone away. Then, she hadn't been given a choice. Her parents had taken it away from her. She continued to watch the shadows dance as she thought about her life and how much she hated it now.

*****

Willow opened her eyes, frowning when she felt something laying on her. She glanced down, surprised to see Drusilla sleeping. She looked around, seeing that she was indeed in her own room. Her eyes looked towards the window, seeing the faint hint of sunlight around her curtains. She sat up, watching Drusilla move her head to the empty space beside her. She laughed softly as she realized that the woman had come into her room to sleep. Willow hated to admit it but she had had trouble going to sleep in her bed alone.

She got out of bed, washing her face with the tepid water left over from the night before. She glanced at Drusilla, making sure the woman's eyes were closed. When she was sure that the brunette was sleeping, she let her nightgown fall to the floor. She picked it up, setting it on her chair as she reached for her white shirt. Pulling it over her head, she rolled the sleeves up past her elbows. She then pulled on her pants, rolling the bottoms up. She pulled on her boots, deciding it was too hot for stockings. She got her brush, pulling her hair up and fastening it with a band of leather. It fell past the middle of her back as she stood, walking towards the bed. She had noticed that the woman wasn't covered by a blanket. Of course, it was pretty warm already. But, Willow didn't want her new friend to get sick.

Willow removed the blanket and started to put it over Drusilla. Her hands touched the woman's cool skin and Willow frowned. She still didn't understand how the Devlins could be so cold to touch. She ammended that. They weren't freezing cold, but they were cool. Willow watched as Drusilla shifted in her sleep, pushing the blanket back down. Willow smiled, thinking that at least she had tried. It was then that she noticed something she hadn't before. Something that made her sit down immediately, her eyes wide as her mind tried to understand.

Suddenly, things began to make sense. Willow couldn't believe it, but she had no other explanation. Standing, she walked to the door, again glancing at Drusilla to make sure she hadn't been seeing things. She hadn't. She walked into the hallway, going to Angelus' room. She took a deep breath, deciding if he was awake and caught her, she'd simply tell him she was doing laundry. She quietly opened the door to his room, her eyes adjusting to the darkness. She left the hallway door open, the natural light giving her just enough light to see. She moved towards his bed, her eyes widening as she saw his bare chest. He was so handsome. The sheet was tangled around his waist, giving her an idea that he must not be wearing anything at all. Her cheeks were flaming as she let her eyes check him. He wasn't breathing either. She wasn't imagining things.

She turned and hurriedly left his room, thankful that he was sleeping. She had never seen such a handsome man before. His chest was beautiful, more so than any of the men she had ever seen half naked wandering through the town. She couldn't believe she had never noticed anything before. She walked to William's door, chewing her lip. She had a good idea what she would see, but she couldn't resist the idea that he too might be sleeping barechested. Her cheeks turned red as she had to admit that she had almost been hoping the sheet around Angelus would slide down, giving her an idea what all the fuss was really about. Unfortunately, she was never that lucky.

Willow sighed as she leaned her head against the wall. She had only one explanation for what she was seeing, but she couldn't believe it. She must still be dreaming. That was the only way to explain it. She was either sleeping or crazy. Or, maybe, she was right. In a way, she really hoped it was the latter. Things that had bothered her slightly would be explained. The sleeping all day. The lack of appetite. The strange closeness between the Devlins. The way they could almost read her mind. She moved from William's door, deciding she didn't want to take the risk that he would be awake. She couldn't get caught sneaking into his room.

She wandered back to her room, moving beside Drusilla. She touched the woman's face, feeling the cool flesh. She sat down, her green eyes curious as she watched Drusilla sleep. She had always wondered if the creatures she had read about existed. Now, it seemed she had fallen in love with two of them. She wasn't sure why they hadn't told her the truth. She sighed, knowing that they hadn't really lied. Besides, would she have honestly believed it if they came to her and told her that they were vampires? Probably not. She would never have spoken to them much less fallen in love with them. Now, it was too late. She did love them. She had to admit the truth to herself even if she never told anyone else. Vampires in Harrington. Who would have thought that.

She laughed softly as she stood, knowing she needed to get to work. She decided not to mention her suspicions to her father or the others. They always told her she read too much and would probably think her imagination was running wild. She didn't know why she wasn't scared of them. From some of the things she had read about the mythical creatures, she knew most people would be fearful. But, she wasn't. She knew them too well. They wouldn't hurt her or any of her friends. Otherwise, they would have by now. No, she trusted them. She was wondering if they would tell her before they left or simply leave without ever telling her the truth. She started down stairs, ready to work. She'd deal with the questions later. Right now, she had things to do. They could sleep unaware that she knew their secret. After all, it wasn't that important. Even if they were really vampires, she still loved them.

*****

Willow finished cleaning the windows, looking up when she heard footsteps. She smiled as Buffy came into the lobby, a sad look in the blonde's eyes. "You ok?"

Buffy smiled at the redhead. "Fine. Riley and I had a fight a couple of nights ago....he hasn't been in since."

"I'm sorry" Willow frowned, really hating the deputy for what he put Buffy through. "Want to help me clean?"

Buffy nodded, a small smile crossing her lips. "You know me too well, Willow. Give me a rag."

Willow handed a rag over to her friend, knowing that cleaning was Buffy's way of thinking. The redhead went back to wiping the windows, chatting softly with Buffy as they worked. She let her mind wander to Angelus and William. She was now convinced that they were indeed vampires. Over the past four days, she had watched them closely. She had noticed that Angelus could not be seen in the mirror behind the bar. She had looked and saw that William did not breathe, just like his brother and sister. She had even tried leading them into conversations where they could confess their secret. They had ignored the opportunity, infuriating her. She really just wanted them to confess so she could let them know that it didn't matter to her. She had hoped to avoid being the first to mention it, but it seemed that that was what was going to happen.

"Willow?" Buffy called out again, laughing as the redhead turned to look at her. "What world were you in?"

"I was just thinking. I'm sorry" Willow grinned sheepishly.

"And which handsome Englishman were you thinking about?" Buffy asked, seeing the redhead blush.

"Both of them actually" Willow mumbled.

"Willow!" Buffy started to giggle. "I must say, I'm shocked at this behavior."

"Oh, hush" Willow glared at Buffy. "I doubt anything would shock you."

Buffy thought about it a moment, "Well, I'm sure there are some things, but not you thinking about both Angelus and William. I've known for days that you were falling in love with them."

"Days? I've only known them less than two weeks." Willow protested.

"I know these things" Buffy said, smiling softly. She turned to look at Willow, a serious look on her face. "Are you sure it is wise to fall in love with two brothers?"

"Wise? Probably not" Willow laughed, "but I couldn't help it. Do you think I'm immoral and horrid?"

Buffy shook her head, "You could never be horrid Willow. Just don't let yourself be hurt. Ok? Make sure they love you before you give either or both of them your heart."

"He might come around" Willow said quietly, knowing by the grimace on the girl's face that she was thinking of Riley.

"I used to think so" Buffy admitted. "But I doubt it. Trust me to fall in love with a man that doesn't want me. I'm rather pathetic aren't I?"

"Never" Willow said, smiling as she put her arm around Buffy's shoulder and squeezed.

"You're lying" Buffy said, laughing as she wiped away the tears that had formed in her eyes.

"As were you when you said I wasn't a horrid deviant for loving two men" Willow reminded, kissing her friend's cheek.

"I'd better go upstairs and get dressed for work" Buffy said, sighing softly. She moved away from Willow, looking back at the redhead. "You know that they both love you, don't you?"

Willow shrugged, "I doubt it. You've seen them both. They are handsome, wealthy, educated and sexy. Why would either of them want me?"

"They're both very smart" Buffy said smiling, "And neither of them are blind."

"Go on" Willow laughed, her face flushing slightly. "And thanks...."

"Willow, seriously" Buffy caught the girl's green eyes. "If you love either of them, let them know. Don't just wait and hope that it might happen. You have to make your dreams come true or you'll always regret it."

"Shouldn't you listen to your own advice?" Willow asked softly.

"It's too late for me" Buffy said, smiling a soft smile. "But it isn't for you. If they are what makes you happy, don't let them go."

Willow watched Buffy turn and go back towards the saloon. She sighed softly, moving to sit down and rest. Was Buffy right? Was the prospect that Angelus and William might make her happy worth the embarassment if they really didn't like her? She smiled softly, knowing that they did like her. She just didn't know if they felt more than that. She wasn't even sure if she did. It was all happening so quickly. She had spent nineteen years waiting for Mr Right only to find him in two vampires. Maybe her feelings were because they were so perfect....such a difference between them and the men she normally met. She knew she was fooling herself. It was them. From the first time she had looked into their eyes, she had felt as if she had known them forever. Every moment she spent with them just reinforced that idea. She knew they were planning in two days. Could she let them leave without confessing her growing feelings? Would it Buffy as said? She'd always regret not taking the chance? She stood, moving towards the counter as she saw Mr Black coming downstairs to check out. She had a decision to make that would affect the rest of her life. And she had less than two days to make it.

*****

Drusilla opened the door to Angelus' room. She saw him look up and smile as he laid stretched out on the bed. She admired her sire, still finding him such a handsome man. She watched as William put his boots on the bed cover, his hands behind his head as he smiled at her. "Hello pet. All packed?"

Drusilla frowned. She saw the tightness in his face as he mentioned leaving. She could easily see the sadness in his blue eyes, though he was doing his best to hide it. She knew him too well. "No."

Angelus frowned, sighing, "Dru, honey, we are leaving in the morning. It's going to be hard enough without having to wait for you to pack."

"If it is so hard, why leave?" Dru asked, sitting on the foot of the bed.

"We have to" William said softly, "You know it isn't fair to Willow for us to stay."

"Fair? Is it fair to us to leave?" Dru asked, curious as to their reasoning.

"Love, Willow is special. She deserves more than dark nights and no sunlight." Angelus said.

"Willow likes the night" Drusilla said, smiling softly. "And she doesn't enjoy the day. She says the sun is just too hot and makes things all sweaty."

"That isn't the point" William said, a bit more harshly than he had intended. "She would never love us if she knew the truth."

"How do you know?" Dru asked, looking at them both. "You're both too silly to tell her. Men. I wonder how you could possibly survive without women around to guide you."

William raised an eyebrow. "A bit hostile aren't you pet?"

"Why are you so upset about this, honey?" Angelus asked, his dark eyes watching her face.

"She cares for you both so much and by leaving, you're both going to hurt her a lot" Drusilla said, frowning.

"We'd hurt her more if we stayed, I'm sure" William said quietly.

"It isn't open to discussion" Angelus said. "We leave tonight. Well, this morning. Go get packed."

"No" Drusilla said, shaking her head. "I'm staying here. I'm staying with Willow."

"What?" two voices called out, both angry and confused.

"I'm staying in Harrington" Drusilla said, glaring at them. "Just because you two are so silly doesn't mean that I am. I love Willow. She's the sister I never had. I'm not leaving when I've never been happier."

"You can't stay" William said, his feet hitting the floor. "Tell her she can't stay. If I have to go, she goes."

"We are all going" Angelus said, his eyes narrowing as he looked at her.

"No" Drusilla said, her eyes darkening as she glared at him. "I am staying."

"Drusilla" Angelus hissed, "Don't push me. I'm on the edge as it is."

"You can't stay" William said, daring her to protest her sire's word.

"I am staying" Drusilla said, standing. "You two can be stupid. I won't go."

"Dru" William spoke softly, sensing the growing tension in Angelus. He sighed, "I don't want to go anymore than you do, but think about Willow. How is she supposed to live a life with a vampire hanging around? Feeding on the saloon patrons? She'd grow to hate you."

"I am thinking about Willow" Drusilla said simply. "She loves with open eyes. She doesn't want us to leave. So, I will stay. You two can runaway."

Angelus stood in one fluid motion. He looked at Drusilla, his eyes flashing yellow. "We are not running away. You will come with us. Now, go pack or I shall do it for you."

"No" she stood straight and looked into his eyes.

Angelus looked away from her as he struggled to control his demon. He felt the need to remind her who her sire was at her defiant act. "Drusilla...."

The dark haired vampire waited, knowing her sire was angry. She braced herself for the punishment she was expecting. She looked up when she heard a knock on the door. She smiled as she recognized the unique scent. "Willow!"

Angelus looked away, knowing his true face must be showing. He heard the door open and turned back around after he was sure his face was normal. "Willow. Love. What are you doing here?"

"You were shouting" Willow said, glancing between them all. She saw Drusilla smile at her while Angelus was standing with restrained tension and William just looked at her sadly. She sighed, shutting the door behind her as she stepped into the room. "We really need to talk...."

*****

Willow began to restlessly pace, not believing she was about to tell them all she didn't want them to leave. What if they simply laughed at her? She honestly didn't know how she would recover from that. She looked at them all before she closed her eyes. "I don't want you to go."

"See?" Drusilla said, glaring at the men. "She wants us to stay."

"Willow, you don't know us." William said, not moving his blue eyes from hers.

"I know everything that I need to know" Willow said, smiling slightly. They hadn't completely refused. That must be a good sign. She looked at Angelus and saw his dark eyes watching her.

"You don't know what you're suggesting" he said softly.

"Do you want to stay?" Willow asked, frowning.

"It doesn't matter what we want" William said, running a hand through his hair. "We aren't staying."

"If you want to, why can't you?" Willow asked, looking at Dru. "You're still staying aren't you?"

"What?" Angelus asked, looking at his smiling daughter. "You told her you were staying?"

"Of course. I had to make sure there would be room" Drusilla said, looking at him as if he were stupid.

"Is there someone in England waiting for you?" Willow asked softly, having not considered that idea.

William laughed, "Not likely. Why do you want us to stay, pet?"

"I um" Willow broke off, her face turning red. "I would miss you both terribly."

"Is that the only reason?" Angelus asked, a soft smile crossing his lips as he heard her heart beat racing.

"I care about you both" she confessed. She looked at them both and grinned sheepishly. "I think I could love you."

"Which one, luv?" William asked, needing to know.

"Both of you" she whispered, her green eyes scared but confident.

Angelus saw the tense way she was standing and knew he was lost. It had taken her a lot of courage to confess her growing feelings so openly. He knew she was a complete innocent in matters dealing with men. "Does it scare you?"

She shook her head, "No. It makes me feel happy being around you."

"I'm staying" William said, giving his sire a look that dared him to refuse. He loved Willow and if Drusilla was staying, he was staying. He would just make sure he kept his true nature a secret. Maybe she would fall in love with him and be able to ignore his undead status.

"We are staying" Angelus corrected softly, seeing the light in Willow's eyes as she smiled brightly. "A few more weeks at least. Does that make you happy?"

"Very" Willow said, smiling. She hadn't had to admit to knowing their secret, which was good. It left her in a position of knowledge. While everything else seemed to be out of her hands, at least in that she still had control. "I'm so glad that you are all staying."

"Good." William said, moving to stand beside her. He grinned, the tension leaving him as he realized he was staying. "We're staying!"

"Yes, we're staying" Angelus said, laughing softly as his childe's enthusiasm.

"We shall have to warn the town folks" Drusilla said, smiling at her sire. She saw his eyes narrow slightly when he looked at her and she nodded knowingly. She would be punished for refusing his demands later. But, for now, she could be happy. They were staying in Harrington. They weren't leaving the Wild Rose. They were going to keep Willow. She laughed, taking Willow's hand. "We shall go listen to the stars to celebrate."

"I thought we'd get some dinner" William said, looking towards Angelus.

Angelus nodded, "Dinner and then stars."

Willow took Angelus' offered hand, William's arm around her shoulders as they left the room and headed downstairs. Drusilla was beside them, her happiness evident. Willow knew she was going to have to thank Buffy. If it hadn't been for the blonde, she might have remained silent out of fear and let them leave. As it was, they had at least agreed to stay indefinitely. Maybe that would give her enough time to convince them that she was lovable. Then, they could stay with her forever. She smiled at that idea as they walked in the Wild Rose, heading towards their table. She waved at her friends, giving Buffy a thumbs up sign as she took a seat. The blonde gave her a small smile before going back to speaking to her client. Willow sat back in the chair, her green eyes flickering over the Devlins. She couldn't believe so much had changed in two weeks. She was so happy, not that she hadn't been before. They completed her life though. She was so glad they hadn't left. She laughed as she watched Faith coaxing her father into a carefree dance as Anya and Buffy both danced with clients. Her eyes caught Graham fixing drinks as he laughed at the antics of the man that was almost a father to him. She felt William's hands brush hers, sending a strange heat through her body. She glanced at Drusilla and saw the brunette watching the dancing with a smile. Her eyes widened slightly as she caught Angelus watching her face, a smile crossing his lips as he began to speak to her and William. She listened intently, glad that the night was just beginning. She had a few weeks, he had said. Maybe, just maybe, they would fall in love with her.