Strangers on a Train

[ - ]
Printer ePub eBook
Table of Contents | - Text Size +
Willow handed her ticket to the conductor, shifting her laptop and bag to her other hand as she waited for him to punch it. She looked around the compartment she was in, studying it with a skeptical eye. She'd never ridden on a train before. Well, not if you didn't count the open air one at the zoo. Other than that, her only experience with trains had been what she had seen in dozens of movies. This car looked nice, rather plush seats and nice windows. It was roomier than she would have thought, but, for the price, it should have been. She cringed when she remembered how much it had cost her parents for the ticket. Of course, it was probably cheaper than flying to Philadelphia so they hadn't complained.

She took her ticket back from the conductor, surprised when he told her to follow him. She shouldered the laptop, wishing she had let her carry bag be taken along with her suitcase. Carrying it around was getting quite annoying. She followed the older man down a small hallway, reversing her opinion of the train being roomy. It was barely big enough for two people to pass each other. She stopped when he did, seeing that it was in front of a room marked number 15. She looked at him and smiled, "I have a private car?"

"According to your ticket," he said, smiling at the young girl. "You're on the train for six days, dear. Did you really expect us to make you sit up in the back for that long?"

She laughed, "I'd honestly never thought about it. This trip was put together rather quickly and I've barely begun to realize that I'm headed to the East coast, much less traveling for six days on a train."

The conductor smiled as he opened the door. He held the door for her, following her inside. "The cars have two berths. I believe that we are filled up for the next three days so you will be sharing with someone. It appears that they have not yet arrived. Your suitcase has already been brought in. Since you are the first one here, I'd suggest claiming your preferred bed."

"Thank you," she said, putting her laptop and bag down on the right hand side of the compartment. She sat down, knowing she could not spend six days watching the scene outside flash by backwards. The bed was tucked into the wall, much like she had seen in movies. She thanked him again as he left. This might be fun after all. She had her own room, though she would be sharing with a stranger. She could overlook that, knowing that laying down at night would be much more fun than sitting in one of those chairs she had first seen. She settled back against the chair, sofa, what would you call this bench thing she wondered. Either way, it was rather comfortable.

She hadn't been lying to the conductor. The arrangements had been made rather quickly. It was June, the first month of summer vacation after her second year of college. Glory had been defeated. Dawn was safe. Buffy was moving on with her life. Tara was gone. Willow sighed, looking at the window. She had expected it, their break up. After Glory had gotten hold of her lover, she had known that nothing would ever be the same. When the curse had been lifted upon Glory's death, Tara had drawn away from them all. Willow knew that the girl blamed them for what had happened to her. Rightly so, of course. If she hadn't been involved with the slayer, Glory would never have picked her. They had broken up quietly, both resigned to moving on with their lives. They were still friends, but Tara was still a bit scared of being with any of them. It had looked like a rather boring summer before she had received the call from her Mother.

After Joyce had died, Willow had made an effort to try to see her parents more often. They were always in and out of time, but she'd managed to spend a couple of hours with them several of the days they had been in Sunnydale. She had to admit she was still a bit surprised that her Mother had called, asking if she wanted to go to Philadelphia and visit with them for a couple of weeks. They were in that town for the summer, giving guest lectures at some of the nearby universities. They had never asked her to go with them before, usually content to leave her on her own. Maybe they were growing up too, realizing that they had a daughter finally. Either way, Willow had thought about it for a couple of days and discussed it with Buffy before deciding it was a good idea. She had confirmed with her Mother who had gotten her train tickets and here she was, ready to go visit her parents, maybe get to know them after all these years.

She heard the door to her car open, glancing up and smiling as she saw the same conductor. Her smile froze as she looked past him, looking into blue eyes and a handsome face. He was gorgeous. In his mid-twenties with dark hair and beautiful eyes. This was who she was sharing the car with?

"I found the other half of the car, Miss. Rosenberg," the conductor said with a smile.

"I hadn't realized I was lost," the handsome man drawled in a lazy voice that sent tremors of awareness along her body.

"Your suitcases should arrive soon, Mr. MacDonald," the conductor said as he moved out of the car, shutting the door behind her.

Lindsey looked at the pretty redhead, his eyes raking over long legs, a trim stomach and the soft swell of her breasts, past a slender neck and delectable lips to meet her beautiful green eyes. He sat down across from her, a bit surprised by his body's reaction to her. She wasn't his usual type. Too innocent and pure, untouched. He was supposed to be spending this trip relaxing. How was he supposed to relax when he felt an attraction to this redhead that he couldn't remember feeling before? He smiled at her, deciding to give it time. Maybe he was reacting this way because he hadn't had a woman in a while. That had to be it. "Guess we're roomies for the next week. The name is Lindsey, Lindsey MacDonald."

Willow licked her lips as he spoke, reminding herself that she didn't want to be involved with anyone. She needed to be alone, to be on her own. This was just an attraction. He was a handsome man and her body was reacting. She hadn't had a man in over a year. She gave him a small smile and introduced herself, "Willow, Willow Rosenberg."


********************

Lindsey heard her speak, frowning slightly at his body's reaction not only to her looks but also her voice. Her voice! Good grief, he was hard after hearing her softly say her name. He couldn't understand it. He'd seen women that were more beautiful, had bedded several throughout his life, yet he couldn't remember ever feeling this aroused just from sight and sound. He glanced around their compartment, noting the small space. Six days trapped in this small cabin with a girl that made him hard just by speaking? What sort of hell was this? He'd taken the train instead of flying because he'd wanted some time to think and relax. He'd ignore her, he decided. He was just reacting this way because he hadn't had a woman in several months. That had to be it. Any female would have given him this same reaction.

His eyes swept over her again as he continued his internal argument. Yep, any female with brilliant green eyes and full lips. Any woman with a generous swell of breasts and that graceful neck. He'd never been much of a neck man, but this redhead's pale flesh seemed to tease him. He reluctantly moved his eyes from her neck and past her breasts, noting with purely masculine satisfaction that her nipples were pressed against her cotton shirt. He watched her chest move as she took a deep breath, letting it out slowly as his eyes continued their slow perusal. She was thin though her legs were long. Long and slightly tan. He could tell that she was normally pale, but it appeared that she had gotten a little sun over the past few weeks. There was a nice rosy glow to her skin. Quite a contrast from the overly tan women he had left behind in LA. Maybe that was why she was wreaking such havoc with his senses. She was different than the women he had known before. She seemed so young, probably fresh out of high school. Damn, she had probably received this trip east as a graduation gift. He was sitting here lusting after some school girl. When had he become a lecherous old man? He opened his briefcase, pulling out the first set of papers that he could find, looking at them blankly as he tried to get his hormones under control.

Willow shifted on the bench, her entire body on fire from his gaze. She had always wondered what was meant by the term mental undressing. Now, she knew. She felt naked and hot and all he had done was look at her. She glanced down, flushing as she saw her hard nipples. She was turned on! Goddess, she was depraved. She licked her lips, hoping that he didn't know where her thoughts were. She would die if he knew she was having sexual thoughts about a stranger. Not a stranger, she corrected. Lindsey. She took a deep breath, counting slowly to ten and then letting it out. She calmed herself, deciding that she had been without a man for far too long. Here she was, fresh from her break up with Tara, and she was feeling more aroused by a stranger's gaze than by either of the lovers that she had had. She looked out the window, wondering when the room had become so warm. She felt a trickle of sweat drift down her back causing her to move again.

She looked over at Lindsey, frowning when she saw that he had finished looking at her and seemed to have dismissed her. He had opened his briefcase and seemed to be looking through various documents. Willow saw his bent head and was able to look at him freely. He was very handsome. Too handsome, she decided. Too pretty. She smiled slightly as words from her past came back to her. One of Cordelia's many phrases of wisdom. Never a date a man prettier than you. Not that Lindsey would ever date anyone like her anyway. His shirt cost more than her entire ensemble, she figured. Simple cotton business shirt and black trousers, but they screamed wealth and prestige. Whatever he did, he dressed well and was confident enough to make it seem effortless. She envied that in a way. Expensive leather shoes completed his clothing. Her eyes moved back up his legs and strayed to areas she shouldn't have been studying so closely. She glanced up to see him still looking at his papers. She felt a small smile cross her face as she saw that he had the papers upside down, his free hand clenched on the seat beside him. Maybe he wasn't as unaffected by her as he seemed to want her to think. A thoughtful look entered Willow's eyes as she settled back to wait for the train to start. This trip was certainly looking up.

********************

Willow looked out the window of the train, watching as the landscape moved past her in a blur. The train wasn't going very fast, but she wasn't really paying attention to the trees. She was too focused on ignoring the handsome man opposite her. They had been on the train for an hour, only half of which was actually moving. She again wondered why she had gone up to San Francisco to catch a train rather than just fly to Philly. She didn't want to remind herself that she wasn't exactly in a hurry to meet up with parents that she didn't really know. She sighed softly, wishing for one insane moment that she smoked. Anything to take her mind and her body off of the attraction she felt for Lindsey.

If she didn't stop sighing, he was going to walk across the small space separating them and kiss her senseless, he decided. Anything to get her to stop reminding him that she was so close. He knew that logically it didn't work. Kissing her to get her off of his mind. But, he was harder than he could remember being and logic wasn't at the forefront of his mind. He kept telling himself that she was too young to be having these naughty vivid thoughts about, but he didn't care. Something about her excited him. He wanted her. There lay the problem. He was on his way to Philadelphia where he would catch another train to Boston. He had business there that he couldn't ignore. He somehow knew that if he had a taste of her, even one small taste, that Willow Rosenberg was not someone he could simply let go. He had to get his life under control, to find some sort of direction. A week long fling with some schoolgirl was not the wisest first step in his new plans for redemption.

"Would you like anything from the dinner car?" she asked as she stood, deciding that walking might do her good. That and some very cold water to dampen her burning lust.

"Scotch would be nice, or whiskey," he muttered, anything to take away a bit of the edge. He glanced up at her, giving up the pretense of reading his folder of documents. "I'll come with you, kid."

She gave him a look and said, "I'm twenty-one, Mr. MacDonald. I can order alcohol as well as watch R rated movies."

"Lindsey, please," he said, wondering why he was so relieved to hear her age. So she wasn't the eighteen year old nymphet he had luridly imagined. So she was three years closer to his age than before. What should it matter since he was going to ignore this attraction?

"Sit down, Lindsey. I'll bring you a glass of whiskey or scotch or maybe even both," she smiled.

"Seriously, I could use a break. Walking might do me good. Not even an hour and I'm already going stir crazy," he remarked as he glanced at the small room. "I should have flown east."

"I was just thinking that myself," she said with a laugh. "It's just, I wasn't really in a hurry to get to Philadelphia and I thought a nice train ride might be relaxing. It's actually rather boring so far and I have almost a week to go."

"I don't have to be in Boston until next Wednesday. I was rather at loose ends and thought a train ride would be perfect. I was tired of hotel rooms and bad food. Rather stupid, looking back on it now," he smiled.

"Hotel rooms?" she gave him a questioning look as they entered the diner car. She smiled at the hostess and follow the woman to a table. She decided to grab a snack while there. She was pleased when he followed her and sat down.

"I gave up my apartment in April. I've spent the last months driving around and trying to find some direction in my life," he explained, finding it very easy to talk to her. He found himself wishing he could tell her everything that had been wrong with his life, but he knew she wouldn't believe him. Besides, they were roommates on a train headed east for six days. Nothing else.

"You're a bit young for a mid-life crisis," she remarked, wondering how old he was.

"I'm twenty-seven," he said with a knowing smirk as she looked him over.

"That old?" she said, laughing as he glared at her. "So, what? You woke up one day and decided to get rid of your apartment?"

He nodded, "Some things happened in my life that made me evaluate my chosen path. I hated my job, so I quit. Without the salary, I couldn't keep my apartment so I gave it up before I lost it. I packed what I owned in my truck and headed north. Spent several weeks in Washington, a few in Oregon, made it into Canada for a while. Then I realized that I wasn't really accomplishing anything. In a way, I was running. I've never been one to run away, so I made some decisions. I came back to California. Made contact with some people. Think I might have a good offer from some people in Boston. New area, new job, new life."

"You'll be moving to Boston," she said softly, recognizing his warning. If anything happened between them, it would take place on this train and then end. He had a life just as she did. His on the East coast, hers back in Sunnydale.

"Yeah," he nodded. "You're from San Francisco?"

She shook her head, "Small town not too far. The train I had to take east was there. I could have caught one in LA but it had several connections and I didn't want to waste the time changing trains."

"What's waiting for you in Philadelphia?" he asked, hoping she wouldn't mention some fiance or lover. He knew in his head there wasn't much of a chance for anything to come from their meeting except maybe some great sex, but he felt strangely jealous of anyone could be with her when he couldn't.

"My parents," she smiled softly. "At least, they claim they are." She saw his statement and laughed, "No, I don't mean it like that. They travel a lot, lecturing and having classes and such. I've hardly seen them since I was nine and my mother decided I was old enough to look after myself. They'd drop in for random visits, staying a week here, a month there, but I don't really know them. They've never met either of my ex-lovers. They don't really know who I am, you know? They still get my best friend's name wrong all the time, and I've known her for six years. It's always been rather straining being around them. But, some things have happened recently that made me accept their offer to visit with them over the summer."

"What happened?" he asked, smiling as food was placed in front of him. He couldn't take his eyes off of her face, wondering if she could feel the same connection that he felt.

"My best friend's mother died," she said softly, her eyes showing the pain she still felt when thinking about Joyce. "In many ways, the past few years, she's been more of a mother to me than my own. It was sort of a wake up call. I could die, they could die, and I think of the regrets of not really knowing them. I may like them, once I spend time with them. I may not, but it doesn't hurt to try."

"You're right," he smiled slowly as his eyes swept over her, "it never hurts to try." ********************

Willow laughed, her right arm moving up to push the hair from her face as she shook her head slightly, "You're impossible."

Lindsey smiled, his blue eyes following the movement of her hand, watching as her fingers brushed through her thick red hair. Reluctantly, he looked away from the tantalizing image, not wanting to dwell on how her fingers would feel in his own hair or what it would feel like to have her hairbrush gently across his chest. He kept his smile in place as he shifted in his chair, his erection growing at those thoughts. For a moment, he forgot what they had been talking about. Remembering, he said, "Am not."

Willow's lips turned into a playful smile as she shot back, "Are too."

"Am not," he responded, his eyes seeing the playful gleam in her eyes. There was something about Willow Rosenberg that made him forget everything except her. There was no past, no future, just the present. Her laugh, her smile, the casual touch of her hand as they both reached for a roll at the same time. Everything else had faded since they had sat down for a snack.

"Are too, so there," she said, sticking her tongue out at him in a childish way she would normally have been embarrassed to demonstrate. Now, though, after spending, she glanced at her watch, eyes widening slightly in surprise, five hours...they had been there five hours already. Time had slipped away from her once they had begun talking. She hadn't asked any specific questions about his past, nor had he. It seemed to be an understanding between them that there were some questions better left unasked. He seemed to be more relaxed now than she had seen him. His tie was gone, stuffed into the jacket resting on the chair beside him. His shirt sleeves had been unbuttoned and rolled up to his elbows, letting her see the light brown hair scattered over his tan arms. She had found her attention drawn to his hands several times during the past few hours. He had large hands, long fingers that held his fork and knife gently but with strength she could see. Thinking of how those fingers would hold her, she again found herself drifting off to a place of naughty fantasies as another wave of lust swept over her. She glanced around, wondering if anyone else found the dining car extremely warm.

Lindsey's head went down as he cut off a groan after she stuck her tongue out at him. Too vividly, an image of her tongue running over his body crowded his mind. What was happening to him? He couldn't understand his reaction to her. He hated the loss of control he was feeling, the helplessness. While he wanted nothing more than to push her onto the table and sink deep inside her warmth and not move for hours, days, an eternity, he felt an overwhelming sense of fear. No, fear wasn't the right word. He had felt true fear a handful of times in his life. While this sinking feeling he got every time she looked at him was close, it wasn't a bad feeling. He knew in less than a week their train would arrive in Philadelphia. She would go on to meet her parents; he would catch another train to Boston. That was their future. There were no questions in either of their minds about that. Despite the hours of flirting and accidental touches, they knew if this game continued, if they played out the intense attraction they were both feeling, it would end with them both going their separate ways. He wasn't foolish enough to even convince himself that having sex with Willow was something he could easily forget. There was something about her that got to him more than any other person he had ever met. These feelings would not simply stop existing when he was on the train to Boston. He hoped that she was feeling something similar, that she would not be able to get him out of her mind either. He knew it wasn't fair to either of them to get involved in such a fleeting relationship. He had a life to get in order, decisions to make, a past to amend. She had her entire life ahead of her, two more years of school and then an endless future. No, if something did happen between them, it would just be this week. Could he seduce her into forgetting that they were strangers, pushing aside her doubts concerning their lack of a future, just enjoying the time they did have to explore this attraction? He watched her lick her lips, her fingers wiping the condensation from her water glass, her head tilt slightly to display the smooth white column of her neck. He picked up his water glass, taking a long sip of the cold liquid as he realized that there was no way he was leaving this train without having the chance to taste her, to hold her, to make memories of the one woman he could never have.

Willow felt him shift, his legs brushing against hers. She glanced at him, startled to see him watching her with a small smile on his handsome face. "What?" she asked, gasping softly as his legs caught one of hers under the table.

"Am not," he said softly, his desire making his voice a bit rough. He could feel the warmth of her skin through the material of his slacks, could see the awareness flash in her green eyes.

"Oh," she whispered, realizing that he had just issued an invitation of sorts. The flirting was over. That was desire she saw in his eyes. For her. It amazed her that someone like him could want someone like her. She had grown up a lot over the last years, but she still had insecurities that she tried not to listen to. Oz and Tara had helped her overcome most of the doubts, helping her self confidence more than either realized. Now, faced with one of the more attractive men she had ever met looking at her as if she were dessert, she had decision to make. She could ignore the attraction that was between them, spend a week trying to be friendly but afraid to even look at him for fear of becoming overheated. Or, she could be daring and forget that she barely knew him, forget that he would leave her at the end of the week, forget everything except the feel of his skin and the taste of his lips and the way he made her feel. She saw him watching her, waiting for her choice. She sighed softly, not sure if she was doing the right thing but not really caring anymore. She smiled shyly at him, her free leg moving closer to his as she said softly, "You win."

********************

Lindsey froze at her words, his eyes searching hers to make sure he hadn't heard wrong. He had to ask, "Are you sure?"

She nodded her head, "Yeah, I'm sure."

"Oh," he replied, realizing how stupid he must seem. He just wanted to make sure there were no mistakes, that she understood what he was proposing.

"I think they're waiting for our table," Willow said her face flushing a pale pink as she wondered if she had misunderstood his actions. She stood quickly, not wanting to have to face him. She couldn't believe she had been so stupid. To think someone like Lindsey MacDonald would want someone like her. She'd ask to change rooms, that's what she would do. She couldn't stand to see him every day, risk seeing the pity in those brilliant blue eyes.

Lindsey frowned as she left the table, confusion clear on his face. What had happened? He stood, tossing more than enough money on the table to cover the check and the tip, then followed her. He caught up to her easily, the small hallway on the train not giving enough room for a speedy getaway. Had she changed her mind? Did she not want him? "Willow, wait."

She shook her head, brushing past an older woman carrying a large shopping bag, "Sorry," she whispered before moving on. She had done something so silly. Taking his friendly flirting for something more. She had been so sure though. There had been lust and desire in his eyes. She knew it had been there. Seeing their room, she sighed in relief. At least she wouldn't have to be humiliated publicly. She opened the door and stepped inside, knowing he was right behind her.

Lindsey stepped into the room, shutting the door and sliding the lock into place. He faced her, watching as she kept her back to him and busied herself preparing her bed. "Willow?"

"It's OK," she said quietly, not wanting to talk about it. "Can we please drop it? I was just on an entirely different page than you were."

"Damn it," he cursed softly, running a hand through his hair as he tossed his shirt on his seat. "You're not making any sense."

She faced him, her eyes not meeting his, "I was stupid. Can we leave it at that?"

"How were you stupid?" he continued, giving her no doubt that he was not going to just leave it.

"I thought you wanted me, OK?" she said, shaking her head. "I thought that you were asking me something you obviously weren't asking me. Can we please just forget it happened?"

"You think I don't want you," he said, things clicking into place. He heard her sigh and smiled, moving forward as she avoided looking at him. Without speaking, his hand cupped her chin, lifting her head until he was looking into her eyes. He leaned down, capturing her lips in a sweet kiss that soon deepened as he allowed his desire to take over for a few minutes. He pulled away finally, his eyes sweeping over her face, seeing her startled green eyes, flushed cheeks and swollen lips. With a small smile, he whispered, "You were wrong," before kissing her again.

********************

Willow felt his lips on hers again, snapping from her daze as she realized what he had said. He did want her. Any doubts left her mind as he kissed her, his body moving against hers, evidence of his arousal pushing against her stomach. She began to kiss him back, her hand moving to his head, her fingers tangling in his dark hair as she drew him closer. He tasted like wine, peppermints, and something uniquely Lindsey. She felt the bed behind her back, wondering for a brief moment if the small bed would hold them. She didn't care, really. The door was locked and there was definitely enough room on the floor. She almost smiled at how wanton she sounded, but everything left her mind as Lindsey's hand cupped her butt, bringing her closer to him and his erection. She groaned in pleasure as he moved against her.

Lindsey pulled back again, knowing if he continued he might not be able to stop. He put both his hands on her face, pushing her hair from it as he asked huskily, "Are you certain, Willow? I can stop if you want me too. I don't want to rush you."

"I'm sure," she said with a soft smile, knowing how difficult it was for him to ask.

"All I can give you is this," he said, not wanting to hurt her, but knowing that she had to understand his position or she might be hurt far worse at the end of the week.

"That's enough," she said, moving her head slightly to capture his thumb in her mouth. She watched his eyes darken, amazed at his reaction to her. With him, she felt powerful, more daring than she had ever felt. "Just this week, Lindsey. After that, I'll leave you. Are you sure you want to do this?"

"God yes," he said, capturing her lips again. Talking was over. It was now time to simply feel.

The small doubts that Willow had left her mind as he kissed her again. She returned the kiss with all the passion and desire that had built over dinner. She moved her hand from his hair, trailing down his broad shoulders to join her other at the front of his shirt. Her breasts were pushing against her bra, aching to be touched. Wetness pooled between her legs after the hours of naughty thoughts. She began to unfasten the buttons of his shirt as they kissed, needing to feel him against her, wanting to make sure this wasn't a dream. She groaned as her fingers tried to push the small fancy buttons through the holes, knowing that a woman could not have made this shirt. Even the most agile fingers would have difficulty unbuttoning the damn thing without looking. Looking would mean stopping the kiss. She didn't want to do that at all. Frustration filled her as she continued working on the buttons. She felt Lindsey's fingers move under the hem of her shirt, dancing lightly across her feverish skin. She put her hands on either side of his shirt and ripped, sending the small buttons flying all over the compartment. Pulling back, she smiled a satisfied smile as she saw his muscular chest. "I'll buy you another shirt," she muttered before moving back and kissing his neck. She pushed the shirt off his shoulders as she sucked his warm skin into her mouth. She knew that she had never been like this with Oz, always letting him control their time together. Now, though, with Lindsey, she wanted to be an active participant.

"Not fair," he said, moaning softly as she sucked on his neck. "You're still dressed."

"Fix it," she whispered as she ran her tongue over the skin she had been sucking. She tasted sweat and Lindsey, a blend that was surprising delightful. She looked at his neck, suddenly understanding why vampires liked this area so much. She had a fetish and hadn't even realized it. She leaned down again and sucked his neck hard, needing to mark him. She knew it would fade in time, but maybe if she marked him enough he wouldn't forget her at the end of the week. Pushing away those thoughts, she concentrated on the feel of his hands on her bare stomach.

Lindsey was pleasantly surprised at her behavior. She had seemed so insecure not twenty minutes before, now she was sucking on his neck and urging him to undress her. He had always liked surprises. She was wearing a T-shirt. He didn't want to stop her to remove the shirt so he decided to follow her example. He held the top of the shirt and tore, listening as the cotton ripped down the front. He heard her laugh, the husky sound making his erection throb even more. He'd obviously made the right decision. He pushed the remains down her arms, his eyes moving over her full breasts that were straining against the white cotton of her bra, her rosy nipples erect and calling to him to taste. Before he could answer their cry, she moved away from his neck and kissed him, their tongues dancing as the lace from her bra brushed against his bare chest.

********************

Willow felt the bed behind her, high enough from the ground to meet the back of her upper thighs. Lindsey unfastened her bra, tossing it on the floor with the remains of both their shirts. Her breasts finally free, she moaned as they made contact with his chest. He was more muscular than she would have imagined, strong arms and a defined chest sprinkled with light brown hair. He moved his lips from hers, trailing a path of kisses down her neck before taking her nipple into his mouth. She groaned at the contact, falling back onto the bed and bringing him with her. They started to laugh, kissing several times as they settled into their new position. She was now naked from the waist up, as was he. He again found her breasts, dividing his time between the two as his right hand snaked its way down her flat stomach and into the waistband of her shorts. The button was unfastened, the zipper was lowered, she lifted up a little so he could push them down her legs. He took the panties with them.

She felt his mouth leave her breast as he looked at her. This was no casual glance. He studied her from head to toe, spending several minutes just looking, not touching. She watched him smile a smile that sent her juices flowing. "What is it?"

"You," he said simply. "You're beautiful."

"Oh," she said, not sure how to answer. "Thanks."

His smile turned possessive as he moved back to the bed, "And you're mine," he said before catching her mouth again, her wet breasts pushing against his chest. His hand moved between her legs, brushing, teasing, finding her wet. He moved his head back to her breasts as a finger slid inside her tightness. She felt his teeth graze her sensitive nipple at the same time his knuckle rubbed her clit. She bit her lip to keep from screaming, knowing that someone was in the room beside them. She arched up as a second finger joined the first. He suckled her breasts as a third joined, thrusting into her and teasing her until she was staring at the ceiling and babbling softly. She felt the tension spread over her as she turned her head, finding the pillow to muffle her cries of release. She came swiftly, her body shaking from the intensity as she struggled to breathe.

She turned her head when she felt him move, watching through passion dazed eyes as he shed his pants, her eyes moving over his body, finding his erection as an ache spread over her. She needed him. "Please," she said softly, wanting to feel him inside her.

Lindsey stroked his erection as he looked at her, every detail, every scent, every taste firmly placed in his memory. He started towards her before he stopped, frowning as he moved to his bag. He opened it quickly, finding what he needed. He tore the foil package with his teeth, watching her face as awareness then relief entered her green eyes. She had forgotten too. He put the condom on, his eyes never leaving hers as he moved back to her bed. He moved between her legs, holding his erection steady as he slowly began to enter her. She was so wet that he slid inside easily, stopping when it got tight. She pushed against him suddenly, taking his entire length inside, a low moan coming from her mouth as she arched back, her head hitting the wall behind her. He pulled her closer, his mouth catching hers as they began a slow rhythm. They moved together, anticipating what the other needed. Hands moved, lips tasted, low moans filled the otherwise quiet compartment. The sound of skin hitting skin, the sweet scent of sex mixed with sweat, the squeak of the bed as they began to move faster. Willow tightened around him as she came, biting into his shoulder to conceal her scream. Lindsey felt her tighten, knew he couldn't hold it any longer. He moved into her three, four times before he found his release, his seed filling the latex condom as he groaned her name.

Willow pushed her hair from her face, looking at him as she came down from her high. He smiled at her, lips brushing against her face as they both struggled for breath. She slumped against the wall, Lindsey still between her legs. She couldn't think of anything to say, wasn't sure if she should even speak. She had just had the best sex of her life with a virtual stranger, someone she had known for less than half a day. Someone she would walk away from in less than a week. How was one supposed to act under those circumstances? There wasn't any kind of book of etiquette on how to deal with this situation. She opened her mouth but found his fingers on her lips.

"Shh," Lindsey whispered, seeing the confusion in her eyes. He pulled out of her, removing the condom and tying it before tossing it in the trash. He gently laid her down on her bed, moving over her to lay behind her. He kissed her neck, feeling her relax against him as no words were spoken. His arm snaked around her waist as he held her, Willow soon falling asleep as he lay there lost in thought.

********************

Willow opened her eyes slowly, reluctant to leave her sleep. She'd been having the best dream. What, she couldn't remember exactly. She had just woken up feeling safe and happy. Green eyes surveyed the bench across from her as a frown crossed her pretty face. It took her a moment to remember that she was on a train and not at home. That explains the swaying, she decided. It took her another minute to feel the weight across her side and stomach. She glanced down, seeing nothing but shadows in the dark room. Her eyes drooped sleepily before flying open as memories flashed in her mind. She turned her head sharply, finding herself gazing into the sleeping face of Lindsey. Her eyes closed as she realized what they had done.

She had just had sex, not just sex, a wild, passionate, coming together of two people, two strangers. She didn't even know him. What had she been thinking? She had been so reckless, taking such a huge risk. She groaned softly thinking of all the terrible diseases he could be carrying around. She wasn't the type to sleep with someone she didn't know. She sighed as she realized that it was a bit late to be worried. She'd had a choice and taken it, knowing full well the dangers that existed. There was no one to blame except herself, and maybe her damn hormones for reacting the way they had with him. The worst thing, she realized, was that she didn't regret it. True, she hardly knew him, but he didn't seem the type to have various sex partners. In a way, he seemed a bit shy despite the arrogant swagger and fancy clothes. Willow knew that, even after just a few hours, she trusted him. Stupid, maybe, but she couldn't change it. And she wouldn't change their night together for anything, she decided.

She felt him move in his sleep, moving closer, his arm tightening around her waist as his mouth brushed against her shoulder. Even now, her body reacted instantly to his touch. She'd loved Oz and Tara with all her heart, but she honestly couldn't remember this kind of reaction to either of her former lovers. It had been nice, a pleasant rush of feelings and emotions. It had been love. With Lindsey, it was the purest form of lust. Her body was on edge, her breasts aching, her thighs growing damp. She'd heard that it could happen, but never imagined experiencing it. She'd always said that she'd never make love unless she was in love. Well, last night had done wonders in proving herself a liar. She'd fucked Lindsey.

She wasn't even going to try to delude herself into believing that there was something more to it. It had been rough and wild and needy, two people carried away by an uncontrollable lust for each other. She did like him, though. Thought they might even be close to being friends. Would it be better to be friends with him or should she just concentrate on the lust? They only had five days together. What would hurt worse? To lose a friend or to lose a stranger? She opened her eyes, looking at him as a soft smile crossed her face. He looked younger in sleep, the tension leaving his face, he was relaxed. She raised her right hand, her fingers moving slowly along his cheek. He needed to shave, her thumb brushing against the stubble that was starting to grow. He seemed to her to be someone that didn't have many friends. He seemed to be cautious, untrusting, careful. Yet, he, too, had just had sex with a virtual stranger.

She knew that he was several years older than she, he had a life he was rebuilding, a new job and a new town. Was she some sort of final fling before he began his new life? Would he remember her in a month? A year? Ten years? Would he see someone with red hair and hope it was her or would he turn away, not wanting to remember his loss of control? She didn't want a future with him. She needed some time alone, some time just being with friends and not being half of a couple. Why, then, did she jump into bed with the first attractive man that smiled at her? That wasn't true, she argued. There was something about Lindsey that got to her, made her forget who and what she was. That was all there was to it. Five days together. A good time. A summer romance. She felt herself relaxing as she realized that there was nothing to worry about, not really. On this train, there were no demons. There wasn't a past or a future. It was their time, and, in a week, it would be over. She could deal with that. She'd have a story to tell Buffy when she got home, if nothing else. She'd also have five days of pleasure and fun. She really needed that, after the past few months. She watched as his eyes opened slowly, a lazy smile full of promise crossing his face as he moved his head, catching her fingers in his mouth. She felt smiled in answer as she moved against him. No regrets, no expectations. Just a good time.

********************

"You're cheating," she said with a smile as she looked at him.

"Who? Me?" he shook his head as a lazy smile crossed his face, "Nope, I'm just lucky."

"I don't know how you're doing it, but you are," she kicked at him with her foot before handing over her ace.

He caught her foot, moving his finger across it and listening to her giggle, watching her face change as she laughed. He had learned over the last four days that she was ticklish, something that he had used to his advantage several times since they had first made love. He loved watching her laugh. Hell, who was he kidding? He just loved to watch her. Her face was so expressive, her eyes true mirrors to her soul. It was amazing, just being with her.

"Lindsey, stop," she begged, trying to get her foot away from him.

"Admit it," he said, a sly smile crossing his handsome face as he moved his left hand up her leg, his right still moving against the bottom of her foot.

"No," she said, her eyes darkening as she watched his hand move higher up her leg.

"Come on, Willow," he taunted, leaning over and brushing his lips against her stomach, whispering against her skin, "just admit it."

"Never," she whimpered as he caught her breast, his tongue teasing her nipple, the cards she had been holding falling to the floor beside them as she grabbed her pillow.

"Tsk, tsk, naughty girl," he said, his hand finally reaching the juncture between her thighs. His eyes closed slightly as she cried out, the familiar sound of her pleasure making him smile. "Admit it."

"Bastard," she cursed as his fingers teased her to the edge then moved away, a teasing look in his blue eyes as he waited, "you're not cheating, you're just lucky. Now, fuck me damn it!"

"You kiss your mother with that mouth?" he asked, claiming her lips in a rough kiss as he entered her swiftly, their bodies quickly finding their own rhythm.

Willow loved the feel of having inside her. She knew it was strange, but she felt complete when they were having sex. They fit together so well, seeming to know what the other needed. They'd had four days together, had less than two left. She was not thinking of the future, trying to concentrate on just being with him. Enjoying him while she had him. They'd spent the majority of the trip in their car, not even leaving when the train would stop. They ordered in food, sitting together, laughing, talking, feeding each other, making love and playing. It was if everything had stopped, as if they were the only two people left in the world. Nothing existed outside their compartment. Soon enough, reality would intrude, reminding her all too well that all of this was fleeting. She would have her memories, though. You see, she had done something she'd promised not to do. She'd fallen in love with Lindsey.

********************

Willow watched Lindsey walk towards her, a smile crossing her face as she noticed several female passengers as well a few of the male ones looking him over. He was gorgeous and he was hers. Her smile faltered slightly as she realized that he was only hers for another day. Tomorrow, their train would be reaching Philadelphia. She shook her head a bit, not wanting to dwell on the inevitable. Instead, she took the drink he handed her and said, "Thank you."

"This place is crowded," he remarked, a bit sullen after losing the argument to just remain in their room for the evening. Leaving it had reminded him where they were, forced him into acknowledging that their journey together was almost finished. Fifteen hours and twenty-three minutes until he lost her.

"It seems that everyone decided to have a drink," she remarked, looking around at the various people seated in the club car. "Last night tradition, I guess."

"We should take these to our room and start our own tradition," he suggested, not wanting to share her with anyone else their final hours together. He knew, logically, that they needed to leave their room. They'd barely left since their first night together, after all. But, he hated trying to talk to her above the loud music and laughter in the club. And he couldn't touch her, not the way he wanted to. A casual kiss or a brief touch of their hands would be acceptable, but he wanted nothing more than to hold her nude body against his as they spent the rest of their time together talking and laughing and enjoying each other.

"You just want to get me naked," she said with a twinkle in her eyes as she smiled at him. "I know you, Mr. MacDonald. You're nothing but a lecherous horny *old* man."

"Guess that's why we get along so well, since you're nothing but a teasing horny *young* girl," he said, kissing her swiftly before pulling back. "Our room?"

"Yeah, this place is too loud," she said, wondering why she had thought leaving their room would make her feelings change. As if surrounding herself with people would make her not love him. It certainly hadn't worked. All it had done was remind her that she was that much closer to losing him.

She followed him back to their car, stepping inside as he slid the lock into place behind her. She faced him, so many questions still unasked. Out of some sort of unspoken agreement, neither had discussed details of their past. She had not mentioned what town she was from, her friends' names, her school, and certainly nothing about demons and such. She had no idea where he was from, what he was planning on doing in Boston, if he had ever been in love. It had been nice, in a way, just giving into the need that seemed to exist in both of them. And they had spent hour upon hour talking about everything from movies to music to history, steering the conversation from becoming too personal. She had thought that keeping it a bit impersonal, not sharing anything private, would keep her heart out of the arrangement. She'd been so foolish. Now, she would put on a brave smile and be nonchalant as possible until he was gone. Then, and only then, would she allow the tears to fall.

********************

Willow sighed as she watched the sky outside becoming light as the sun began to rise. The scenery passed by in a blur as the train continued towards its destination. A small smile crossed her face when she felt Lindsey behind her, his arm moving around her waist as he brushed his lips against her cheek.

"You're up early," he said softly, having woken when he felt her warmth leave their bed.

"Couldn't sleep," she said simply, not wanting to elaborate. Their train was due in at eleven am. It was now a little after seven. The minutes were ticking by more and more quickly the nearer they got to Philadelphia.

"No, I couldn't either," he admitted quietly, his arm tightening around her as his blue eyes looked out the window. "It looks like it's going to be a pretty day."

"Yeah, real beautiful," she said, blinking back tears as she laughed softly. "Of course, we have a few more hundred miles to cross. It could be rainy and cold in Philadelphia."

"It might," he said, resting his chin on her shoulder. "Have you gotten everything packed?"

"Yeah, just about," she sighed, leaning back against him, committing the feel of his touch and his smell to her memory. "You?"

"Yes," his eyes looked towards her profile, saw her staring at the land outside. "It's all ready."

She turned her head, her fingers moving to his lips, tracing them as she smiled at him, "Kiss me?"

Lindsey didn't answer, instead brushing his lips against hers. The kiss deepened as they began to move their hands, touching, holding. They were almost desperate, not stopping their kiss as they moved to the bed, falling together. He entered her for what he knew would be the last time, moving slowly, not wanting to rush. His lips moved from hers, kissing every part of her face as they moved together, her hands running over his back, her fingernails digging in deep enough to break his skin. She closed her eyes, giving herself to him completely, hoping that he would know how she felt even if she never said the words. As they found their release together, she turned her head to face the wall as he kissed her neck, a tear sliding down her face as the train continued moving.

********************

"I can carry it," Willow said, taking her bag from Lindsey.

"Let me carry it to the platform at least," he said, his fingers brushing over hers as he took it back from her.

"All right," she relented with a shaky smile before she picked up her laptop and headed into the hall. The train had been unloading for nearly twenty minutes. She had procrastinated long enough, knowing if she waited much longer they'd come kick her off the train.

"It's not raining," she said softly as they walked past a large window. It should have been raining, she decided. It was a horrible day. It wasn't fair that it was beautiful outside when her heart was breaking.

"Looks like summer," he said, glancing at the sunny sky.

"I bet there are even birds singing," she muttered crossly, glaring at the blue sky before stepping down the steps from the train.

"Are your parents meeting you?" Lindsey asked as they stepped from the train into the station.

"They said they'd be here," Willow said, shrugging. "I'm not sure when."

"We can wait for them over here," he said, finding a few empty chairs and putting her suitcase in one. "My train will be boarding soon, but I have a little time."

"You don't have to wait with me," Willow said quietly, hating how awkward this all felt. What was she supposed to say to him? Thanks for the week of sex, it was great falling in love with you, have a nice life? Somehow, that didn't seem too appropriate.

"Do you not want me to wait?" he asked, blue eyes looking at her. He didn't want to leave her. Damn it, he'd known better. When he had first looked into her eyes, he had told himself not to get involved with her. He had known that she would be impossible to lose once he had had her.

"It's not that I don't want you to," Willow said, running a hand through her hair, "Lindsey, I don't know how to do this. This last week was great, I enjoyed being with you. But, we're here now. The train stopped."

"And you have your life and I have mine," he continued softly, knowing that it wasn't fair to Willow for him to admit that his feelings. She was young, had entered into their affair for fun, didn't want to be involved. He was unemployed, on the last of his savings, didn't have anything to give her. She deserved more, so much more. He smiled a tender smile, his fingers moving over her cheek, "It was great, wasn't it?"

She nodded, savoring his touch, "Yeah, it was. I'm really bad at good-byes."

"We'll make this one short then," he said, listening as they called out his next train. "That's my train."

"They're boarding it," she said quietly, before giving him a big smile. "You'd better go. Don't want to miss your train to Boston. You've got a lot waiting for you there."

"Take care of yourself, Willow Rosenberg," he said softly, his voice thick with emotion.

"I always do," she smiled as she blinked away tears. "Good luck with everything, Lindsey. I'm lucky to have met you."

"No," he shook his head, gently kissing her before whispering, "I'm the lucky one," before he deepened the kiss, putting everything he had into the kiss. He didn't want her to forget him, knowing that he would not be forgetting her.

Willow kissed him back, wishing that time could just stop and that the moment would never end. Another boarding call for his train penetrated the fog in her mind. Reluctantly, she pulled back, touching his face one last time, "Go on now. Can't keep Boston waiting."

"I," he stopped, sighing as he picked up his suitcases, "Have a good life, Willow."

"You too," she whispered, watching him leave. Only when he had faded completely from view did she sit down, the tears freely falling as she hugged herself tight, knowing that he was gone.

THE END