One Night

[ - ]
Printer ePub eBook
Table of Contents | - Text Size +
May 2003

The sound of the doorbell ringing echoed through the small apartment. Graham Miller looked up and glanced at the clock. He scowled as he saw that it was after midnight. He got up, running a hand through his dark hair as he looked through the peep hole. Startled, he opened it and looked at the small redhead that was standing there. "Willow? What is it? Has something happened?"

Willow looked at him and smiled softly, "No. Things are fine. Can I come in?"

He looked puzzled, "Then why are you here? Oh, yeah...come in. Sorry."

She laughed as she followed him inside, "You sound unhappy to see me."

"Never. You just surprised me. I mean, I thought you'd be busy getting things packed." He said, balancing on the edge of his sofa as he looked at her.

"Already packed and ready to go" she said.

"So" he said, "You're leaving tomorrow?"

She nodded, "Yep. Had to wait until graduation. You know, it's funny. I always wanted to get away from Sunnydale, but now that I'm actually leaving...well, I think I'm going to miss the old Hellmouth."

"I know we'll all miss you too" Graham said, his voice sincere. Over the last three years he had been working with the slayer's gang, he had become very good friends with Willow. He was often teased about his crush on her.

"I already miss you guys" Willow said, looking at him.

Graham shifted under her gaze. He saw the awareness flash in them and couldn't look away. "Why are you here?" he asked, his voice gruff.

She smiled a knowing smile, "Why do you think Graham?"

He suddenly looked worried, "What about...."

"He knows where I am" Willow said, her face honest. "He understands."

Graham shook his head, "I can't do this Willow. I care about you."

"But you don't love me" Willow said.

"No" he agreed, "I don't. But you're a good friend. So is he. Why now?"

"It's something I have to do" she replied. "I know you probably don't understand, Graham. But...please. I need this."

Graham saw the need in her eyes and found himself curious as to why she felt she should do this and why her lover would agree. He still hesitated. "Will, you're confusing me."

She laughed as she shook her head, "I know. It doesn't make sense to me that much either. But I can't stop thinking about it...wanting it. I'm sorry. I do love you Graham. But, I'll be honest. I'm in love with someone else. I do want you though. And, it's just one night. A night to just enjoy each other....For me."

Graham stood and went towards her. His hand reached up and caught a lock of hair. He wrapped the red stand around his finger as he brushed his fingers against her cheek. He leaned over and kissed her gently, his tongue running over her lips. He pulled back and saw the desire in her green eyes. "For you Willow. Just this one night."

Willow leaned up and brushed her lips against his. "Thank you Graham."

Their passion soon overtook them as they made their way to his bedroom. He wasn't sure if it was the idea of leaving that had her wanting to make love with him or if it was just as she said, just something she felt she had to do. He did love her in his own way and had often thought about making love with her. He had just never imagined it actually happening. Now, here they were, in his bed with their clothes scattered around the floor. He gave into his feelings for her, allowing them to both be swept away.....it was just one night after all.

SEVEN YEARS LATER

Graham smiled at his wife, Amy, as they found Buffy and Riley in the restaurant. The couple sat down and greeted their friends. "Hey guys."

"Graham. Amy. Sit" Buffy said, smiling. They were on vacation on the coast of Mexico. The best friends had taken a second honeymoon, wanting to get away from Sunnydale for a week. They chatted about what they had seen so far on their trip. Riley suddenly was pushed as a child ran into his chair.

"Whoa there" Riley said, smiling as he stopped the laughing child.

Graham looked into the boy's face, startled by what he saw.

"Scuse me, mate" the boy said, his accent slightly English. "Was running from me Mum."

Buffy laughed at his precosciousness. "Your mother? Does she know where you are?"

He giggled, "She and Da were kissing."

Amy smiled, "Sounds like a good Mother and Father."

"Liam! You little rascal" an all too familiar voice called out.

"Willow?" Buffy said, smiling at the redhead. Willow looked at her, her smile fading slightly as she saw Graham. Her hands went to Liam's shoulders, holding onto him protectively.

"Buffy. Guys. I'm surprised to see you here' Willow said, licking her suddenly dry lips. She had seen the look of realization in Graham's soft eyes. She met his gaze, expecting accusation or anger. Instead, she saw love and understanding.

"Mum...where's Da?" Liam asked, his dark eyes looking for his father.

"I'm right here, brat" Spike's cocky voice said as he swept the giggling youth into his arms. His blue eyes saw Graham and he glanced at Willow. He saw her smile and knew things were fine. He held a laughing Liam in his arms as the child climbed up his lean body. "Nice to see you, Miller."

"Spike. Looks like you have your hands full" Graham said, keeping the emotion from his voice. He watched as his son climbed up Spike, the boy kissing the blonde vampire on the cheek as his little hand held onto his shirt. Willow moved beside them, the look of love and devotion on her face as she looked at them both.

"This brat? Eh, I can handle him" Spike said. His face suddenly turned serious as he nodded at Graham, "Thanks mate."

Graham smiled, knowing what the blonde meant. Suddenly, past events made sense. Graham finally understood what had prevoked Willow's need for him that one night. He saw her grateful eyes fall on him as she smiled again. "You're welcome."

"Luv, Liam and I are going to find Peaches and Delia. Meet up with you soon?" Spike asked, looking at his lover.

"Soon" she said, kissing him gently and then kissing Liam's brown head. "You be good for your father."

"Yes, pet" Liam said, grinning cheekily. She laughed as she looked at him. He may not be Spike's by blood, but in every other way, he was the blonde's child. She watched them leave, the smile still on her face.

"Go with them Willow" Graham said softly, knowing that his wife and friends would just have questions that he didn't want the redhead to have to answer.

Willow looked at him, nodding as she saw he meant to save her. "I'm glad you're happy Graham."

He smiled, "Thanks. Now, go. Join your family."

"I'm sure I'll run into you sometime. We can talk" she said, smiling at the others. "Goodbye Buffy. I'll call you soon."

Graham watched her leave, smiling as he saw that Liam and Spike had waited for her. He saw her join them and felt a sense of rightness. He glanced at the others who were watching him, their expressions unsure, confused, and questionning. He sighed, knowing suddenly it would be a long night. He let his eyes find the redhead and her family. He watched as Spike kissed her then put Liam on his shoulders. The smile on their faces warmed his heart. Who ever would have thought that one night could bring so much happiness?

THE END