Sharing Memories

[ - ]
Printer ePub eBook
Table of Contents | - Text Size +
Story Notes:
11/2/14
Sirius is in his old bedroom staring at the ceiling when Harry finds him. He sits up and smiles, seeing so much of James in the crooked smile and messy hair, and Lily’s there in the green eyes and stubborn tilt of the chin that appears as Harry steps into the room. “Mrs. Weasley said I should leave you alone and not bother you.”

“So you had to come up here to see me then? You know, not listening to your elders is one of the things I always teased your dad about teaching you,” Sirius admits, running his fingers through his hair. He remembers James rolling his eyes and threatening to take Padfoot to get neutered if he even dared do half of what he said, and the memory makes his heart hurt even as he chuckles. “He used to send me howlers sometimes just to recite proper Godfather Behavior According to Prongs.”

“Did you? He really sent you howlers about me?” Harry practically glows hearing about his dad, and Sirius feels the all too familiar clench in his gut when he thinks about losing James and Lily. Poor kid never had a chance to know them, and it hurts so much to talk about them, not that he’s going to let that keep him from giving his godson what he obviously needs.

“I had this endless list of things I always said I’d teach you. Some of ‘em were real, but some were just to get your parents riled up.” Sirius scoots up the bed so he can lean against the headboard. “Your mum was cranky in the last few months of her pregnancy, so it was too easy to resist.”

Harry sits on the bed beside him, grinning as he listens. “And you liked making her crankier, didn’t you?”

He has to laugh because it’s so true. “Of course I did. I even had Moony help me make a chart that I showed her in early June that listed all the rules she used to quote to me when she was prefect so she could keep track of when I taught you how to break them.”

“You didn’t!” Harry laughs, some of the tension that’s always there leaving him for those few moments. “I can’t believe Professor Lupin actually helped.”

“Moony isn’t nearly as swotty as he seems. He actually added some rules since he was a prefect, too, and could recite them like that friend of yours.” Sirius can’t bring James and Lily back. He can’t get out of this blasted house to go hunt down Peter like the dirty rate he is. He can’t go destroy the man-creature-whatever he is now that’s responsible for all the misfortune in Harry’s life. But he can share some of the good memories he has, since the pain of those at least reminds him he’s alive. He can also try to be the best godfather he can be. “Get comfy, my boy. I’ve got a lot to tell you.”

End