Take a Chance

[ - ]
Printer ePub eBook
Table of Contents | - Text Size +
Story Notes:
Written January 2004
"Malfoy, quit wandering off the path."

"Malfoys do not take orders, especially from know-it-all Gryffindors," Draco smirked before deliberately moving off the path, his gray eyes flashing with amusement when Hermione glared at him.

"Oh, grow up!" Hermione finally snarled before turning away from the sexy blond wizard. Sexy? Merlin, where did that thought come from? A voice inside her head laughed and reminded her that she had thought Draco Malfoy was sexy from the moment she'd seen him on the train at the beginning of sixth year. Before that, she'd just found him to be a pest. A very cute pest with white-blond hair that he'd stopped slicking back after fourth year and mesmerizing gray eyes that could be so cold and reserved, just like him.

Beautiful gray eyes that she had seen darken with passion during arguments and flash with anger when he felt insulted or threatened. That she'd seen shine with amusement, usually at her or her friends' misfortune. That she'd seen sparkle with happiness when he'd bested her for top marks in Potions, or won at Quidditch and other such occasions. That she'd seen clouded with grief after hearing of his Father's death at Azkaban. That she'd seen gleaming with power and danger during the Final Battle against Voldemort. He was very practiced at hiding his emotions, but Hermione was getting to be rather good at reading Draco Malfoy, habitually looking into his eyes before he could hide his feelings.

It was his eyes that had first caught her attention, that had forced her into seeing beyond the arrogant little Slytherin prat that had tormented her since first year and allowed her to see glimpses of the lonely and lost little boy that Draco had really been. Some might suggest that she had developed a bit of a crush on the obnoxious wizard during her third year, a crush that she had managed to ignore for the most part until sixth year. Then, seeing him on the train looking very much like a fallen angel, well, there had been no more ignoring the complicated feelings that Draco Malfoy brought out in her.

He'd been sitting in the Prefect coach, for once not surrounded by his Slytherin friends. His hair was loose, framing a face that could only be described as handsome, falling just above his shoulders, the sunlight making the white-gold locks shine, causing him to appear ethereal. He had grown into his features over the years, no longer looking like a pointy face ferret, instead looking distinguished and aristocratic, projecting an aura of nobility that made him even more attractive. His lips were full and it was far too easy to imagine kissing them, to think of them brushing over feverish skin.

Years of playing Quidditch had given him a muscular build, his slender frame tall and his arms, shoulders and back were well developed but perfect for his build. He was not a hulking mass of muscle, which was something she found personally distasteful, but he had great arms and a nearly perfect arse from the times she'd noticed him without his robe. She'd been a bit embarrassed when he'd turned and looked at her, those lovely gray eyes lazily moving her in a way that her eyes had just looked over him. His lips had curved into a slight smirk and he'd made some comment, she honestly didn't even remember what, and they'd started arguing.

She loved arguing with Draco, enjoyed the way his gray eyes would turn stormy when he was passionate about a topic, loved the way his lips curved into a sexy pout whenever she bested him, loved the way he smiled smugly whenever he bested her, loved having someone capable of holding an intelligent conversation that didn't center around Quidditch, girls, or Voldemort. Draco Malfoy was not only one of the sexiest men, a word that could definitely be used to describe the eighteen year old wizard, she had ever seen, but he was also one of the smartest.

It really wasn't fair, she decided crossly as she walked down the path. He had brains and beauty, along with wealth, power, charm, courage, loyalty, and a wicked sense of humor that one could appreciate when it was not aimed at one's self. He'd stood with them against Voldemort, surprising many but merely confirming her belief that he was intelligent enough to know which side to choose, regardless of his dislike of muggles and muggleborns. The Final Battle had happened shortly before seventh year started, taking place in a final confrontation that had left too many dead and had ended with Harry finally defeating Voldemort, this time permanently.

This was the first school year that Harry had actually been able to enjoy. He was happy and relaxed and dating Ginny, giving Hermione proof that there was such a thing as soulmates every time she looked at those two. Ron had been injured in the Final Battle, but he'd recuperated, with a little help from Luna. They'd been dating for over a year and Hermione had a feeling that there would be an engagement once school ended. She was still single. She'd been focused on her new responsibilities as Head Girl this year, working closely with Draco, who had been named Head Boy.

She refused to consider that the reason she did not date was because her crush on Draco had developed into something else and a part of her wished he could feel the same way. She guessed they might be considered friends, working together remarkably well, and they even had conversations that did not become heated discussions or end in aggravation and frustration. Of course, the arguments were part of the fun and one of the things she liked most about Draco. He was opinionated and stubborn and arrogant and able to occasionally best her in a debate, which didn't happen very often.

"Granger, slow down!" Draco called out from behind her, pulling her from her musings.

"Grangers don't take orders, especially not from conceited Purebloods," Hermione turned her head to smirk back at him, not noticing the root in the path. She tripped, falling to the ground with a startled cry. Draco was at her side before she had a chance to move.

"Are you okay?" Draco asked casually, his gray eyes concerned as they swept over the beautiful brunette witch. She looked up at him as she pushed her hair away from her face, the chestnut locks falling down her back in unruly curls that were as unmanageable as their owner. There was a spot of dirt on her cheek, where she'd obviously hit the ground, her robe mussed from the fall, her coffee colored eyes were staring at him intently, her lips curved into the annoyed frown that he found rather sexy. Merlin, he didn't know if he'd ever seen anything more beautiful.

"Does it look like I'm okay?" she glared up at him, doing her best to ignore the concern that she'd seen in his eyes and instead focus on his casual indifference.

"Your hair is a mess, your robes are dirty, and you're scowling worse than Snape when Longbottom prepares a potion," Draco slowly smiled, eyes flashing with amusement as he continued, "so I honestly don't see much of a difference."

"It's nice to know that I'm able to amuse you," Hermione said sharply, not able to enjoy the full affect of an amused Draco, which was actually rather flirty and sexy, because she felt stupid for tripping and was even more upset that he had to witness her less than graceful fall.

"You're the cause of much of the enjoyment in my life, Granger," Draco smirked, his gray eyes darkening slightly as he looked at her lips. A voice inside his head was all too happy to tell him various ways she could be even more enjoyable, most involving nudity and hours of pleasure. He'd wanted Hermione Granger since she'd slapped him during third year. He was by no means a masochist, but that had really been the first time he'd acknowledged the reason he sought her out every day to start a fight of some sort, the reason he was constantly talking about 'the know-it-all mudblood' to his parents during break, the reason he couldn't stop thinking about her.

He'd been shocked and angry when she'd dared slap him, even if he had deserved it a little, but, when he'd looked at her glaring at him and seen the way her eyes were blazing with anger, his first impulse had been to kiss her. He'd only been fourteen and honestly hadn't given girls much thought. He'd been devoted to his studies and Quidditch, wanting to make his Father proud, and hadn't had time to waste on silly things like dating. That day, though, staring into her eyes, feeling somehow as if she was able to see the real Draco beneath the obnoxious behavior, well, he'd been slapped in the face not only by her hand, but also by the realization that he might very well be infatuated with Potty's little mudblood. Over the years, that infatuation had developed into something more complex. He'd denied his growing feelings, having been raised to believe that Purebloods and mudbloods did not socialize and especially did not have relationships. After his Father's death and Voldemort's demise, he'd finally been free to act on his feelings.

Malfoys were not cowards by any means, except, it seemed, when it came to matters of the heart and emotion. He'd had over half a year to ask her for a date, to at least admit that he kind of liked her, but it hadn't seemed like the right time. He was not about to take such a risk unless he was confident of success. Besides, he rather liked becoming her friend, learning about her and her life, having lengthy conversations as well as their passionate arguments. There were times that he thought she might have similar feelings for him, that he'd catch her watching him in a way that indicated she desired him, that he'd see her smile affectionately before looking away, that he thought she might not hex him if he admitted he'd fantasized about her for years and could very well love her.

"You're such a prat," Hermione grumbled as she stood up, his words causing her heart to race. He'd said affectionately, as if he cared about her, as if he liked having her in his life. Even though she knew he couldn't possibly have meant it in that way, she couldn't help wishing that he had.

"You know you love me," he smirked, gray eyes looking away before she noticed the flash of vulnerability in their depths.

"In your dreams, Malfoy," she replied as she dusted off her robe.

"Come on, let's find this plant to we can go back to the castle," Draco said abruptly, her words hitting too close to home. He moved ahead of her, glaring at everything in his path. If he ever told her how he felt, that's what she'd probably say. 'In your dreams, Malfoy,' he could hear her voice saying smugly. She wouldn't laugh, because Hermione just wasn't like that, but she'd most likely avoid him from that moment on, which was another reason he couldn't say anything.

Merlin, where was that famed Malfoy courage and confidence now? Here he was too scared to tell a muggleborn that he had feelings for her, to even ask her on a date, which was ridiculous because he was a bloody Malfoy! He was about to start another internal debate on the pros and cons of telling Hermione that he had romantic intentions towards her when he noticed movement ahead of them. He stopped in the path, curiosity in his gray eyes as he stared at the creature. He turned to look at Hermione, his lips curved into a smile as he whispered, "Look!"

"What is it?" she whispered as she moved beside him. They were in the Forbidden Forest so she wasn't at all sure what he had seen on their path. Brown eyes widened as she stammered, "That's a leprechaun! Do you remember the ones at the Quidditch World Cup a few years ago? I wonder what he's doing here."

"Let's follow him," Draco suggested, looking down at the witch standing beside him and catching her eyes.

"I thought you wanted to find the plant that Sprout needs so we could go back to the castle," she reminded, still a bit annoyed at his rudeness. She'd been enjoying their assignment to fetch the plant, loving every opportunity she got to spend with Draco. They'd been teasing and arguing good-naturedly, which was common for them these days, but something had changed because Draco had gotten snarly, which rarely happened. Sarcastic and snarky and rude, yes, but he rarely got truly irate with her. His words had been cross and sharp and she had no idea why he'd gone from almost affectionate to snarly.

"Granger, it's a leprechaun. Do you really think we'll ever have this chance again?" he arched a brow and gave her a look that suggested she was as smart as a first year Hufflepuff.

"What do you suppose he's doing out here?" Hermione asked curiously as her eyes found the leprechaun that was ahead of them.

"Let's find out," Draco smiled as he held out his hand to her, their eyes meeting.

Hermione put her hand in his without hesitation, feel the warmth of his fingers as he closed his hand around hers. She felt the tingles in her tummy that happened every time they touched in even the most casual way, not able to resist the thought of what his hand would feel like caressing her flesh in a much more intimate setting. Pushing those thoughts from her head, she smiled as she said, "What are we waiting for, Malfoy?"

Draco kept her hand in his as they followed the leprechaun. She smelled so good, like apples and vanilla. Her hand fit into his perfectly, feeling natural in his grasp, as if it belonged there. When the leprechaun ventured off the path, he started to follow. She stopped, causing him to look at her. "Come on, Granger. He's getting ahead of us."

"We can't get off the path, Malfoy," she objected, "this is the Forbidden Forest, if you've forgotten!"

"Scared?" he taunted, his lips curving into a smirk as he resorted to immature behavior to get her to agree to go with him. He didn't much care about the leprechaun, honestly, but he rather liked having a bit of an adventure with Hermione. Things had gotten a bit awkward earlier, when he'd nearly kissed her, but that had been forgotten when they'd started trailing the creature. He knew that the longer it took to trail the leprechaun meant more time that he got to spend alone with her.

"I am not scared!" Hermione denied swiftly, glaring at him for daring suggest such a thing. Merlin, he looked adorable when he was excited and smirking, she decided.

"Don't you want to see where he's going?" Draco asked impatiently, not releasing her hand as he started to move off the path.

"Certainly," Hermione said, "but I don't want to get lost or run into something dangerous. It's too risky, Malfoy."

"Some times you have to take a chance, Hermione," he told her softly, his gray eyes looking into her brown eyes. He was no longer talking about the leprechaun, but she didn't know that. This was it, he decided. If she said yes, he'd finally tell her how he felt. His lips curved into a slight smile as he said, "The reward might be worth the risk."

Hermione stared into his eyes, noticing them darken slightly as he looked at her. They were not talking about following the leprechaun, she realized suddenly. She wasn't sure what was happening between them, but she couldn't ignore the fact that their relationship seemed to be changing, in a good way. She smiled slowly, the leprechaun forgotten as she said, "You're right, Draco. Some times you do have to take a chance."

Before Draco could say anything, she stepped closer and brushed her lips against his in a gentle kiss. Pulling back, she felt her cheeks flush at her bold move, her eyes looking at the ground as she prepared herself to be hexed. Instead, there was silence. Hermione felt shy and uncertain, unable to believe she'd just kissed Draco Malfoy. He hadn't said or done anything, probably too shocked or disgusted, she decided sadly. Oh well, at least her first kiss had been with a boy she loved.

"Hermione," Draco said softly, once he'd gotten over the surprise of her tender kiss. He moved his hand to her face, raising her chin so she had to look at him and not the ground. He brushed his thumb over the smudge of dirt that was still on her cheek, his eyes meeting hers for a moment before he lowered his head and caught her lips with his. This kiss was not shy or hesitant, it was passionate and needy and loving. His hand moved behind her back as he pulled her against him, the kiss deepening as she opened her mouth to him. Tongues battled for possession as they kissed, Hermione's fingers tangling in his soft hair as she moved closer. Their lips parted to suck in needed breath before meeting once again. Years of love and desire were communicated through their kiss, no words necessary for them to recognize what they felt for each other.

Finally, they broke the last kiss, his arms staying around her waist, holding her against him. Their eyes met, a smile crossing both their faces. Hermione finally admitted, "I've wanted to kiss you for years."

"Of course you have," Draco smiled, "I am handsome and intelligent, after all."

"And oh so modest," she laughed softly.

"Modesty is not a common trait of the Malfoys," he said loftily, his eyes growing serious as he said, "this isn't just a convenient snog."

"It better not be!" she said promptly.

"Granger, do hush and let me finish," he scolded playfully, "as I was saying, it isn't just a snog. I have developed feelings for you over the years and believe that there is potential for a relationship between us. Bloody hell, I'm no good at this romantic nonsense. Malfoys are unemotional and reserved and I feel like a fool even attempting to have this conversation. Damn it, Granger, would you go to Hogsmeade with me this weekend?"

"Malfoy, really, must you ask?" Hermione smirked, finding him even more charming and sexy because he didn't seem to have a clue how to convey his emotions, though his kiss had said more than enough to convince her that he really did have feelings for her.

"You're impossible," he groaned as he ran a hand through his hair, thankful that no one was around to witness his humiliation.

"You know you love me," Hermione said softly, echoing his earlier words.

"In your dreams," he slowly smiled.

"And now in reality?" she whispered, her eyes seeking confirmation.

"Yes," he whispered quietly before he caught her lips in a soft kiss. When this kiss ended, he looked at her and asked, "Well?"

"Of course I'll go to Hogsmeade with you, Malfoy," she smirked, watching him sulk in that sexy way she loved.

"That's not what I meant and you know it," he tried his best to glare but his present state of happiness made it far less threatening than normal.

"Kiss me again and I might tell you," she teased, loving the feel of his lips against hers. She wondered if it was too soon to say the words, both of them just now admitting how they felt, this being their kiss, not even having their first date yet or even discussing their future. They'd had years to fall in love, though, so it wasn't too soon. It didn't matter that they'd never been on a date, or shagged, or that they spent most of their time arguing passionately. She loved him and he loved her. When he released her lips this time, both of their breathing was ragged, her eyes moved over his swollen lips and she felt a rush of possessiveness as she caught his eyes and said, "You're mine. You do realize that, don't you?"

"I've always been yours, silly girl," Draco smiled, "just as you've always been mine."

"I think I've loved you for years, Draco," Hermione told him, saying the words he needed to hear, watching his face as his eyes caught hers. She smiled, "I love you, Draco Malfoy, even if you are an arrogant pureblood prat."

"Of course you do," he smiled smugly, "I love you, Hermione Granger, even if you are a know-it-all smart arse Gryffindor."

They kissed again, this kiss more explorative and lazy as they learned each other's mouths. When this kiss broke, Hermione looked around and sighed, "It's starting to get dark so maybe we should find that plant for Professor Sprout and head back to school."

"Are you worried about how Potty and Weasel are going to take the news about us?" Draco asked, not caring what anyone said about his relationship with Hermione, but not wanting her to have to choose between him and her friends.

"Please," Hermione snorted, smiling sheepishly as she told him, "Harry and Ron have been after me to admit that I wanted to snog you for the last year. They both claim that there is a betting pool amongst all four houses as to what date we finally stop arguing and start kissing. I'd think they were lying since I've never heard anything about it, but it's just crazy enough to be true."

"Well, whoever had today is going to be very happy to see us at dinner," Draco smirked, "because I have every intention of letting the entire school know that you're mine, even if it means I'm forced to sit at that horrible Gryffindor table with those fools you call friends."

"A Malfoy at the Gryffindor table?" Hermione laughed, "I think that your sacrifice deserves a kiss, don't you?"

"Maybe two," he smiled smugly as she moved against him, their lips meeting again. When the first kiss ended, he admitted, "I'm very thankful that you took a chance on me, Hermione."

"The reward was definitely worth the risk," she smiled before kissing him again. They completed their assignment for Professor Sprout in between more kisses and laughter as they explored their newly discovered love, both looking forward to a future of happiness and desire and the occasional heated discussion that could now end in passionate snogging.

THE END