The Dance

[ - ]
Printer ePub eBook
Table of Contents | - Text Size +
Story Notes:

Originally Posted: September 24, 2004

NOT GOING (1/1)

"Hermione! You’re not dressed yet."

"Ginny, I don’t think I’m going to go."

"You have to go," Ginny said as she moved to sit next to her friend. "What’s wrong, Hermione?"

"I’d rather stay here and read," Hermione explained, wishing the obstinate redhead would just accept her decision and leave.

"It’s going to be fun," Ginny reassured her, "why don’t you want to go?"

"I don’t like dances," she muttered before adding softly, "and it’s not like I have a date or anyone would dance with me anyway."

"How do you know if anyone would dance with you if you’re up in your room hiding instead of having fun with your friends?" Ginny challenged stubbornly.

"I’m not going," Hermione glared before sighing, her hand running through her hair, "please, Ginny. Just drop it, okay?"

"Okay. I’ll stay here and keep you company, then. I’ll go tell Harry to just go on without me," Ginny decided, counting and not even reaching ten before Hermione spoke to stop her from leaving.

"What? Ginny, this is your first date with Harry. You’ve been looking forward to tonight for weeks since he finally got the nerve to ask you out," Hermione frowned, "You can’t cancel."

"Well, I can’t possibly have fun at the dance without one of my best friends," Ginny gave her an innocent smile watching as Hermione’s eyes narrowed.

"You’re going to blackmail me into going, aren’t you?" Hermione arched a brow, "How did you end up not being sorted into Slytherin?"



Summary: Ginny is very persuasive
Words: 450



LUSTY THOUGHTS (1/1)

"Because Gryffindor needed another Weasley to keep things exciting," Ginny beamed proudly before shuddering, "besides, I so hate snakes! Yuck!"

"Yuck?" Hermione had to laugh, "I think you’ve been spending way too much time around Lavender and Parvarti."

"C’mon, ‘mione," Ginny whined, "you know you want to go! There are plenty of boys that will dance with you. Maybe even a certain quiet, mysterious, handsome wizard that you’ve been ogling during meals since school began this term."

"Ogling?" Hermione’s cheeks turned pink as she weakly denied, "I don’t ogle, especially not Slytherins."

"I never said he was a Slytherin," Ginny grinned, "Gotcha!"

"I hate you."

"No you don’t," Ginny smiled happily, "You love me and that’s why you’re going to tell me all about your lusty thoughts for Blaise Zabini as you get dressed."

"Ginny!" Hermione tried to glare before laughing, "You’re incorrigible."

"You know, he really is quite sexy with that golden skin and curly black hair and those eyes of his are just gorgeous," Ginny mused, "If I didn’t have Harry, I’d definitely be having lusty thoughts about Zabini."

"There is no having of lusty thoughts, thank you very much," Hermione grumbled as she went to her wardrobe and removed a burgundy dress robe and began to change. Looking at Ginny and seeing the disbelief in her friend’s eyes, she smiled sheepishly, "Well, maybe a few."

"He has lusty thoughts of his own," Ginny smirked, seeing Hermione look at her with surprise. "He watches you during meals when you’re not ogling the Slytherin table and haven’t you noticed his sudden need to frequent the library every night you go to study? Merlin, Hermione, even Harry has noticed and, as much as I adore him, he‘s not the most observant wizard in the world."

"Blaise watches me?"

"Yes. All the time," Ginny nodded, "You’re so busy trying to act like you’re not watching him that you don’t see him watching you. And they say you’re the smartest witch of your generation!"

"Brat," Hermione stuck her tongue out at Ginny as she finished dressing. She moved to the mirror, making a face. "I think I should stay here and force you to miss your date with Harry because you’re exasperating."

"Quit using such big words to insult me. You know that I hate thinking after class is over," Ginny whined as she rolled off the bed and used her wand to fix Hermione’s hair. It now surrounded her face in lovely thick curls that added to her natural beauty. Smiling as she rested her chin on Hermione’s shoulder, she asked, "So what are we doing, beautiful?"

Hermione met Ginny’s eyes in the mirror and smiled, "We’re going to a dance."


Summary: Hermione thinks about Blaise
Words: 350



CONTEMPLATION (1/1)


Hermione entered the Great Hall with her friends, her eyes immediately scanning the room for the wizard that rarely left her thoughts these days. She had never noticed Blaise Zabini during the first six years at Hogwarts despite the fact that he was in several of her advanced classes. When sixth year had begun, however, she had been surprised to find her attention drawn to a handsome boy in the back of her Arithmancy class and she’d not stopped watching him since.


He was articulate when he spoke, which wasn’t very often, intelligent, witty, charming when he wished and did she mention one of the most handsome boys at Hogwarts? True, his looks went unnoticed by many witches who preferred the obvious attractiveness of Harry or Malfoy, but she preferred the understated elegance and beauty that Blaise possessed.


Beauty was a perfect word for his classic features and golden skin and full lips and brilliant blue eyes. He was tall but not as tall as Ron, slender but with less muscle than Harry. He carried himself with a grace that she found attractive, the cliché poetry in motion coming to mind whenever she watched him walk.


She had tried approaching him, having many male friends and having no problem speaking to any of them. However, when she’d stood by Blaise’s desk and he’d given her his complete attention, she’d merely blushed and stammered something about their assignment before rushing away in embarrassment. He did something that no other boy had ever done. He made her feel like a woman.


Viktor had noticed her, true, but she’d had no interest in him that way. There had been no butterflies, stammering, naughty dreams or lusty thoughts and she certainly hadn’t ignored her Professors lectures in several classes while looking covertly at him and wondering what it would be like to kiss his full lips. Okay, so that last bit wouldn’t have applied to Viktor since he had thin lips and hadn’t been in her classes, but, still, being around him had never made her feel like she did just looking at Blaise.


Summary: Blaise has a question
Word Count: 300


A QUESTION (1/1)


“He’s by the window to your left.”


Hermione turned to look at Harry, glaring at her smirking best friend as he winked at her. Ginny merely gave her a ‘I told you so’ look. “Bugger off, both of you!”


“Hermione!” Harry laughed as he moved his arm around her shoulders and squeezed before whispering, “He’s watching you all ready and I swear he may even be drooling. Go get your boy, tiger!”


“You do realize you’re actually encouraging me to go after a Slytherin, don’t you?”


“Shh, just don’t tell Ron,” Harry grinned, brushing a curl away from her face before telling her, “I think he’s a good match for you, ‘mione. I worked with him in Potions last term and he’s right brilliant, nearly as smart as you. And he looks at you in the right way, like he cares about you and will treat you right. Besides, he is rather sexy, isn’t he?”


“I love you, you silly prat,” Hermione had to laugh as she hugged him, “I’m going to go get some punch. Do either of you want anything?”


“Coward,” Ginny taunted playfully, her lips curving into a smug smile as she glanced behind Hermione before she took Harry’s arm, “Let’s dance, Harry.”


“Great idea, Gin,” Harry hastily agreed before winking again at Hermione and following Ginny.


Hermione watched them move to the crowded dance floor, a look of envy unknowingly crossing her pretty face as she saw so many students dancing. With a sigh, she turned to walk to the table with the punch, running into someone that had been right behind her. “I’m sor,” her words trailed off as she found herself staring into gorgeous indigo eyes.


“My fault,” his voice was soft as he smiled slightly, “I have a question for you, Miss. Granger.”


Summary: Hermione gives Blaise an answer
Words: 400


AN ANSWER (1/1)


“A question? For me?” Hermione cringed slightly as she realized how foolish she sounded, watching his eyes sparkle with humor as his lips curved into a sexy smile that made breathing a bit more difficult. “What did you need, Zabini?”


“I’m afraid that if I began to give you a list, we might be here quite a while,” he offered quietly, watching her carefully to see her reaction to his pathetic attempts at flirting. He was going to hex Millie, he decided. His childhood friend had convinced him to approach the girl he had been infatuated with since fifth year, threatening to get everyone’s attention and publicly ask Hermione to take pity on him by agreeing to at least one dance with him if he didn’t finally make a move.


Had it been anyone other than Millie threatening him, he’d have ignored them. But the daft twit was just annoying enough to humiliate him in front of the entire school merely for her own amusement. When Hermione had arrived, Millie had smiled smugly before pushing him forward with the threat of her very blunt and most likely terribly embarrassing public plea for Hermione to dance with him out of pity if not mutual attraction.


“Oh,” Hermione nervously licked her lips, watching his eyes follow the path of her tongue before looking back into hers.


“Bloody hell,” he cursed softly, his long fingers running through thick black hair, “I must apologize for my ridiculous behavior. This, well, I’m not very good at this sort of thing, Hermione.”


“What sort of thing?” she asked, her lips curving into a slight smile as she decided that he was adorable when he was flustered.


“Flirting,” he grimaced before smiling somewhat sheepishly, “Chatting up a beautiful girl. That sort of thing.”


“You think I’m beautiful?”


“The prettiest girl here without a doubt,” he whispered, thankful that the blush crossing his cheeks wouldn’t be as noticeable with his dark complexion.


“Blaise, what’s your question?”


“Would you like to dance?”


“I’d love to dance with you,” she smiled as she took his hand, noticing how perfectly they fit together.


“I dance far better than I flirt,” he reassured her, smiling as he led her to the dance floor and pulled her into his arms, looking into her eyes and realizing that he had no intention of ever letting this woman go now that he finally had her.